The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-20-2013, 07:39 PM

Thanks for the info. I have actually been in contact with LC and may have him ship me the guitar for a trial period. I was not aware of the policy regarding re-selling the guitar without commission. Does that apply only if you are buying another instrument? Sounds too good to be true!

Schwartz Oracle and Oracle SJ / Ryan Nightingale / Schoenberg Sexauer 00/ Martin Custom Shop 00 / Martin Custom Shop 00028-VSC / Schwartz 00 Coming
Old 05-20-2013, 08:13 PM

Let us know how you like it if you decide to give it a try. It sure looks gorgeous. I read somewhere that soundports can actually increase front projection so I don't think they can hurt a small guitar. I love my soundport just because it lets me hear the guitar so much better.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 05-20-2013, 08:17 PM

Sorry, this duplicate thread was moved from the General section of the forum where I originally posted it. I had been unsure where best to place it so had posted it in both sections. Sorry for any confusion.

Schwartz Oracle and Oracle SJ / Ryan Nightingale / Schoenberg Sexauer 00/ Martin Custom Shop 00 / Martin Custom Shop 00028-VSC / Schwartz 00 Coming

Last edited by thomas1; 05-20-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:18 PM
Charter Member

No problem, Tom. Both threads have been merged in the Custom Shop section...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 05-21-2013 at 04:53 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:00 AM
Charter Member

Tom, PM sent about another guitar that may interest you.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas1 View Post
How would you compare the Adi/Koa to Al Petteway's legendary Circa 00 which I have heard about but have never had the honor of playing? Did see Al taking delivery of his new Circa 000 cutaway from John at Woodstock last year - same woods Euro Spruce and Maple. Sounded stellar - what a surprise
Tom,

Legendary, indeed. It's difficult to describe that guitar since it's among the top 3 I've ever played. Compared to the koa 00, Al's maple 00 has a more aggressive and (surprisingly) darker sound. It responds in ways similar to a rosewood guitar but retains the note separation of maple so it feels like you can play anything on it. It also had a deeper body than what he normally does. One isn't better than the other, they're just voiced differently. The maple one is punchier and a bit more versatile than the koa which is more lush and balanced. They both sound like John's guitars, which is to say they sound phenomenal.

Al and Amy recently moved into a new house and he ended up selling the guitar back to John to free up some capital. For awhile John was planning to keep it for show demos because he believes it to be an important milestone in his career as a luthier (I guess making a maple guitar that destroys preconceived notions of what maple can sound like is pretty significant...). I believe he has since decided to resell it, though.

Al's 000 was originally supposed to be a clone of his uber 00 with a cutaway added. Somewhere down the line John suggested a 000c instead and Al went with it. His 000 has a smoother more refined sound than his 00 which was borderline brash by comparison. Those two guitars and the Somogyi Adamento are the three warmest maple guitars I've ever experienced. Hope this helps.

Last edited by usb_chord; 05-22-2013 at 09:53 AM.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:29 AM

Thanks Brian for the great Circa reviews and opinions. At some point I will need to make a decision about which guitar will best suit. I think it comes down to the Circa 00, the Ryan Abbey with bevel, or the Brondel A3. All of them are at Luthiers Collection. Maybe I just need to go to California to figure it out!

Old 05-22-2013, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas1 View Post
Thanks Brian for the great Circa reviews and opinions. At some point I will need to make a decision about which guitar will best suit. I think it comes down to the Circa 00, the Ryan Abbey with bevel, or the Brondel A3. All of them are at Luthiers Collection. Maybe I just need to go to California to figure it out!
A fabulous idea! Theres a great sounding Mainguard small body you might enjoy, too. I remember the price being awfully reasonable. There's a 00-ish Brondel that was also fantastic.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop