The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-09-2013, 10:38 AM

Default Steve Fischer 12/15 at TAMCO UK

There has been some interest in Steve's work here so I thought I would post some photos of this beauty that has just arrived.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:43 PM

Looks fantastic. Look out for an interview with Steve in Acoustic in a future issue.

Bourgeois JOM custom - Adirondack/koa
Brook OM custom (maybe!) - Bubinga/Sitka
Lowden F 25th anniversary model - European/Brazilian
David Oddy J - Englemann/Brazilian
David Oddy mandocello - European spruce/flame maple
David Oddy A4 mandolin
Old 04-10-2013, 02:03 AM

This looks really lovely, I love the understated look. Steve's work really is top notch. I'll be over in Brighton on Saturday with the only other Fischer in the UK to have a closer look...so if anyone else over here in the UK wants to see how good these guitars are...

Cheers,

Ian
Old 04-10-2013, 02:38 PM

I've never paired Lutz with Mahogany until this guitar and I'm very happy with the results. Lutz is such a dynamic wood. Unlike anything else. It is clear as a bell, lively and powerful. The Mahogany/Lutz combo is definitely a winner.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

Steve, the guitar look beautiful..simple and elegant. Really nice work! Would love to hear some sound clips.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 04-13-2013, 12:49 PM

I was over in Brighton today and popped in to see Trevor and his guitars for an hour or so before lunch.

The Fischer 12/15 is a really lovely guitar, Very different from my Concerto, which is to be expected considering the choice of woods for both guitars. An extremely sweet sounding guitar with that typical woodiness one associates with mahogany. Extremely well balanced and articulate. I use a lot of altered tunings and played this guitar in CGDGCD as well as CGCGCD and CGCFCD. It was able to handle the lower tunings without any issues at all. This is only the second Fischer that I've encountered, but it is clear the Steve is a very fine builder indeed and is more than capable of exploiting whatever wood combination he uses to its potential. I do not expect this guitar to hang about for too long...

Whilst at the shop which, incidentally, one could spend an entire day in, given the superb choice of instruments to play, I did manage to have a go on a couple of others. The David Wren guitar is superb. I was extremely taken with it. It represents a massive amount of instrument for the money and I would imagine that it too will not linger long, rather like the first one that Trevor had in the shop. The other guitar was the Ed Claxton monster which I had played before. Despite the strings being a little knackered, there was no denying its class.

All in all, a very pleasant hour in the company of some fine guitars. If any of you UK guys have not been there, then go when you get the opportunity.

Cheers,

Ian
Old 04-13-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianLP59 View Post
?...If any of you UK guys have not been there, then go when you get the opportunity.

Cheers,

Ian
I'd have to second that. Nowhere else I've been quite like it!

I'm really hoping to see the Fischer - and the Claxton and Wren are on my playing wish list too. Linda Manzer speaks very highly of .david .wren's guitars. I'm also hoping to see the latest Brondel and Kinnaird when I go over. I'm just trying to make some time to go........especially as I've just sold a guitar......

David Oddy A4 mandolin
Old 04-13-2013, 02:37 PM

I had a very enjoyable visit from Stuart Ryan this afternoon. He seemed impressed with the Fischer, Wren, Claxton (I did offer to change the strings for Ian), Schwartz and Beardsell, many are put of Al's work by the unconventional looks but Stuart really made it sing.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) UK View Post
I had a very enjoyable visit from Stuart Ryan this afternoon. He seemed impressed with the Fischer, Wren, Claxton (I had offered to change the strings for Ian), Schwartz and Beardsell, many are put of Al's work by the unconventional looks but Stuart really made it sing.
I hated the looks when I saw it too, but thought it played well and sounded good too.i can only imagine how it sounded in Stuart's hands.

David Oddy A4 mandolin
Old 04-14-2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianLP59 View Post
.........This is only the second Fischer that I've encountered, but it is clear the Steve is a very fine builder indeed and is more than capable of exploiting whatever wood combination he uses to its potential. I do not expect this guitar to hang about for too long.....
Ian
Hi All,

This is my first post here, so I'm a Newbie to this forum, but reading this today I thought I'd chip in. This weekend I made the long journey down to Cedar City, Utah to meet Steve Fischer and talk through the final choices of the custom build he is about to start for me. We had lunch and talked for several hours about, tonewood, construction details and the painstaking way he works on, refines and allows the various elements of the guitar to settle in to reduce stress in the final instrument. His workshop is in a quiet backroad in a relatively small town in the middle of Utah. He thinks it's a very modest affair - just a man and a few simple tools, he says. Well, that's the measure of his modesty. I think he's built himself a near perfect world for making some of the finest instruments I've ever seen. You get a very clear sense of his dedication to and mastery of his art the moment you get to talking about the instruments he's made and will make in the future. We talked about his workflow and the various ingenious tools he's made for himself so that he can achieve the results he's looking for - and he really is genuinely driven to create the very best instrument he can build. He's also a very, very nice guy- which always helps - willing to talk at length through any issue so that you are happy with your choices. I very much enjoyed my time with him and I'm extremely excited about what he's building for me over the next few months.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZagatoV12 View Post
Hi All,

This is my first post here, so I'm a Newbie to this forum, but reading this today I thought I'd chip in. This weekend I made the long journey down to Cedar City, Utah to meet Steve Fischer and talk through the final choices of the custom build he is about to start for me. We had lunch and talked for several hours about, tonewood, construction details and the painstaking way he works on, refines and allows the various elements of the guitar to settle in to reduce stress in the final instrument. His workshop is in a quiet backroad in a relatively small town in the middle of Utah. He thinks it's a very modest affair - just a man and a few simple tools, he says. Well, that's the measure of his modesty. I think he's built himself a near perfect world for making some of the finest instruments I've ever seen. You get a very clear sense of his dedication to and mastery of his art the moment you get to talking about the instruments he's made and will make in the future. We talked about his workflow and the various ingenious tools he's made for himself so that he can achieve the results he's looking for - and he really is genuinely driven to create the very best instrument he can build. He's also a very, very nice guy- which always helps - willing to talk at length through any issue so that you are happy with your choices. I very much enjoyed my time with him and I'm extremely excited about what he's building for me over the next few months.

I had a great time! I was also really quite flattered that some one would take the time to make the long trek out to the middle of the southern Utah desert to visit little ole me. It was really quite fun talking shop and getting very excited about this guitar, going to be a looker.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:00 AM

hi Trevor, will you be putting a sound clip of this guitar on your site ?.
cheers Geo
Old 04-23-2013, 08:16 AM

Sorry, I'm not set up to record any at the moment.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:35 AM

thanx Trev, the only sound clip I can find of Steve's guitars is this -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUDb2Xz-UMc

Nice chisels but tells me nothing about how the guitar potentially sounds.
Maybe Steve will arrange to put something up.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordie View Post
thanx Trev, the only sound clip I can find of Steve's guitars is this -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUDb2Xz-UMc

Nice chisels but tells me nothing about how the guitar potentially sounds.
Maybe Steve will arrange to put something up.
Geordie, I'm working on getting some sound clips on the website, but it may be a little while

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop