The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-10-2012, 10:54 PM

Default advice on a beginner kids guitar

Ok guys, first post. I dabble in playing guitar in my free time. I typically play more texas music but generally country. I've had a few guitars but my current players are a epiphone hummingbird artist which I picked up a few months ago for something different and a martin hpl guitar that I've had for about 6 yrs.... My boys have been getting more interested in guitar. The oldest is getting a entry level aj epiphone that I've setup and is a pretty decent player. The younger boy (12) already has a old abilene guitar (samick). He is now looking to get a electric guitar. Possibly to play on the xbox rocksmith as well and to mess around and hopefully learn on. I'm on a budget and have been scoping a few guitars that seem decent. What I guess I'm looking for is a little direction to which would be better. There are 4 that I'm leaning twards. #1 is a silvertone electric. I already have one of these guitars as my xbox guitar. I got it for less than $20 at a pawn shop last year. It fills its purpose well. The one I'm looking at though is going to be slighly more expensive but includes a amp, bag and strap I believe and is $85. Guitar #2 is a epiphone les paul. Not sure on the model but it is nothing like my vintage gibson goldtop. It is one of the cheapies epiphone ones. It also comes with a small practive amp and stand for $95. Guitar #3 is a ibanez that looks to be from a metal players pack. The guitar looks like the artist model but dosent have as many pickups. it is guitar, strap and amp. Looks to be all player pack stuff $100. Last but not least a fender/ squire strat with a vox practice amp for $75.

Now to be clear this is for a kid with a little bit of interest in guitars. My thinking is if/ when he can play a song or two and puts some time into the equipment then I will upgrade his gear. But which of the gear would be the better starting point? My budget is going to be $100 or less and that has to include guitar/ amp etc. Yes a cheap budget but craigslist has a few gems.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars