The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-22-2018, 05:36 PM
Charter Member

Default What type of pickup would you put into a...

...16-year-old Martin DX-1? Solid top, laminate back and sides - classic dreadnought. I'm putting a little love into my first acoustic guitar and want to get it set up with electronics. I was recommended the Fishman Matrix Infinity VT ($159.95) but thought it couldn't hurt to ask the community here as well.

Usage? Solo performances - just me, my guitar, and a Fishman combo amp. I'll be leaving this guitar at my parents' house in Saratoga Springs, NY for the weekends I don't feel like hauling all my stuff. We're there frequently and I can envision a ton of impromptu jam sessions.

Thanks in advance for your input!

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'09 Craig Anderson/Burlington Guitars B-2 Custom
'01 Martin DX-1
'00 Fender Stratocaster (Midnight Blue)

facebook.com/whitneyborisenok
Old 04-23-2018, 12:16 AM

The nice thing about this system is that it is easy to install and relatively non-invasive: a small hole drilled in the saddle slot for the wire to the preamp and widening the end pin hole ready for the jack output pin. I haven’t heard this latest model in action so can’t comment on how it sounds but it will do the job. Under saddle systems are relatively feedback resistant and will sound ok, even very good with some eq tweaking etc. Another advantage is that it is perfect for using with Fishman’s Aura systems.

A lot of people here will probably recommend a sound board transducer like the K&K Pure Mini and I am one of them! The installation is even easier (no holes to drill apart from widening the end pin for the jack output) and no need for a battery holder/battery bag. Advantages are that for many the amplified sound is more natural without the same level of piezo quack and no need for batteries, disadvantages are (with the basic system at least) no controls at all. I have three guitars with this pickup and use a floor preamp so can mute the signal whenever I want as well as eq in a great tone. Your Fishman amp will do a good job though so apart from being able to kill the signal from the guitar you should be good to go.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 04-23-2018, 06:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post
The nice thing about this system is that it is easy to install and relatively non-invasive: a small hole drilled in the saddle slot for the wire to the preamp and widening the end pin hole ready for the jack output pin. I haven’t heard this latest model in action so can’t comment on how it sounds but it will do the job. Under saddle systems are relatively feedback resistant and will sound ok, even very good with some eq tweaking etc. Another advantage is that it is perfect for using with Fishman’s Aura systems.

A lot of people here will probably recommend a sound board transducer like the K&K Pure Mini and I am one of them! The installation is even easier (no holes to drill apart from widening the end pin for the jack output) and no need for a battery holder/battery bag. Advantages are that for many the amplified sound is more natural without the same level of piezo quack and no need for batteries, disadvantages are (with the basic system at least) no controls at all. I have three guitars with this pickup and use a floor preamp so can mute the signal whenever I want as well as eq in a great tone. Your Fishman amp will do a good job though so apart from being able to kill the signal from the guitar you should be good to go.
Thanks for the response! The only thing that worries me about the K&K Pure Mini is the recommendation to it use with a preamp...which means something additional to buy/carry. I know it's not required, but it sounds like most folks highly suggest it.

I think that's why the Infinity system is so appealing to me - pickup and preamp all in one.

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'09 Craig Anderson/Burlington Guitars B-2 Custom
'01 Martin DX-1
'00 Fender Stratocaster (Midnight Blue)

facebook.com/whitneyborisenok
Old 04-23-2018, 07:23 AM

You talked about a Fishman Solo Amp, there’s your preamp (plus a whole lot more) there!
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification