The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 04-21-2018, 05:19 PM

Default Last Time I saw Her Face

Glen, as you can see from my moniker, I'm a die hard Gordon fan. You, my friend have done his song justice, as so many of yours do. Gordon could write lyrics and sing a song with more emotional connection than anyone else I can think of. Your performance is right there as well. Great job.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfoote View Post
Glen, as you can see from my moniker, I'm a die hard Gordon fan. You, my friend have done his song justice, as so many of yours do. Gordon could write lyrics and sing a song with more emotional connection than anyone else I can think of. Your performance is right there as well. Great job.
Hi lightfoote,

Thank you very much for your comments! Wow! It's great to know I have met your Lightfoot standards! Seriously -- I am glad to know for such a diehard GL fan that I have done at least one of his songs justice. Very cool! You have made my day!

Thanks so much!

- Glenn
Old 04-21-2018, 09:07 PM

Hi Glenn! Waited until I could find time to really listen and not "skim" due to limited time. Really beautiful song and rendition of this piece. The Olson is superb....as are the vocals and interesting chord choices in the intro and exit which adds to the essence of this gorgeous song.
With your offerings over time of his songs, you do understand what a prolific singer/songwriter Lightfoot is.
Thanks again for putting this one together!
Fred
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 04-21-2018, 11:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
Hi Glenn! Waited until I could find time to really listen and not "skim" due to limited time. Really beautiful song and rendition of this piece. The Olson is superb....as are the vocals and interesting chord choices in the intro and exit which adds to the essence of this gorgeous song.
With your offerings over time of his songs, you do understand what a prolific singer/songwriter Lightfoot is.
Thanks again for putting this one together!
Fred
Hi Fred!

Thanks so much for your comments and thoughts on this song.

This is a song I never learned in the past. This was a song that I thought was beautiful and touching and incredibly poetic, but something I did not want to touch. But recently when one of my YouTube subscribers asked me to consider it, I thought, well, maybe I should learn this song.

Since I didn't know the song, I went to Gordon Lightfoot's website and looked up the song. This is the link: https://www.lightfoot.ca/lasttime.htm The words and chords listed were a good start but not the whole story on this song. So starting with this information I went to YouTube, found Gordon Lightfoot's original version, here:

So using his chords and lyrics and this recording, I worked out a fairly accurate version of how Gordon Lightfoot originally played this song. I played the song with the recording 4 or 5 times until I knew how he had played it. This is the typical method I use for learning someone's else's song. I learn to play it like they did, and then only later over time do I end up modifying the song, mostly without realizing how I am doing it.

In this case, however, I learned the song and recorded it within only a few days. So I didn't have time to let my lack of discipline or else my creativeness take hold of the song and change it. So while my tempo is perhaps a little slower than Gordon Lightfoot's, the chords, the intro, the ending, they are all pretty accurate to what Gordon Lightfoot actually played as far as I can tell.

In fact, I remembered that I never really liked his intro and his ending when I heard it years ago on the album, but as I worked through the song, I realized the possibilities of what he had there and decided to use it.

So, in the end, what I used there was classic Gordon Lightfoot, not me at all. Oh, my picking pattern may be slightly different, but it's pretty close. It was a good experience learning this song, though I must say that the first evening that I worked this out and started practicing it, I had a very tough time. Here I am, 70 years old now, and yet singing this song brought back vivid and emotional memories of an experience I had back when I was only 21.

Music is powerful stuff!

Hope you are well, Fred!

- Glenn
Old 04-22-2018, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Just beautiful, Glenn.
The voice of the Olson is a perfect choice for that song. Thanks for sharing this one.
Best,
Jayne
Old 04-22-2018, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
Just beautiful, Glenn.
The voice of the Olson is a perfect choice for that song. Thanks for sharing this one.
Best,
Jayne
Thank you Jayne!

It's great to know you are listening! Thanks so much for taking the time to comment here!

- Glenn
Old 04-22-2018, 08:34 AM

Thanks for the background info, Glenn.....nice!!
And, yes.....doing well, here.....and I hope you are, there!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 04-22-2018, 02:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
Thanks for the background info, Glenn.....nice!!
And, yes.....doing well, here.....and I hope you are, there!
Hi Fred,

Yes, I am doing well. I have started to cut my grass using a push, gas-powered mower, and I am doing well at that. I am going to start weeding my garden to get ready for vegetable planting this afternoon. So I am feeling stronger, which is a good sign less than 8 weeks since hip joint surgery.

Thanks again for your comments Fred!

- Glenn
Old 04-22-2018, 05:46 PM

Wonderful rendition, Glenn. I must have a soft spot for Gordon's 'lost love' songs, your version of "Song for a Winter's Night" continues to be a favorite of mine, and this one hits nearly the same spot. You did a fabulous (and probably a very authentic) job of conveying the intense grief/sadness of loss in the final lyrics. And your playing, paired with the right guitar for the job, was awesome.

Thank you for pushing your limits and ever learning more, you're an inspiration to me.
Old 04-22-2018, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Cedar View Post
Wonderful rendition, Glenn. I must have a soft spot for Gordon's 'lost love' songs, your version of "Song for a Winter's Night" continues to be a favorite of mine, and this one hits nearly the same spot. You did a fabulous (and probably a very authentic) job of conveying the intense grief/sadness of loss in the final lyrics. And your playing, paired with the right guitar for the job, was awesome.

Thank you for pushing your limits and ever learning more, you're an inspiration to me.
Hi Carmel Cedar,

Thank you so much! What generous and thoughtful comments! Wow! You have really made my day! And thank you for the encouragement to keep on pushing!

- Glenn
Old 04-23-2018, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

Magnificently done o' brethren of d' jam! ...major props to you Glenn

eric
Old 04-23-2018, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
Magnificently done o' brethren of d' jam! ...major props to you Glenn

eric
Hi Eric!

Thanks so much! It's great to know you are watching and listening! Thanks so much for your comments here!

I hope you are well!

- Glenn
Old 04-24-2018, 10:55 AM

Beautiful song, beautifully played and sung - thanks Glenn. That guitar sounds very special (and looks it too)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 04-24-2018, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
Beautiful song, beautifully played and sung - thanks Glenn. That guitar sounds very special (and looks it too)
Thank you Wrighty!

I am really pleased that you like this rendition, and I very much appreciate your comments here.

And yes, that Olson is a very special guitar. When you want something very bright and in your face, it may not be the best choice. But it has a very warm, rich kind of sound that is so easy on the ears. I thought the Olson worked very well on this song.

Thanks so much for your feedback!

- Glenn
Old 04-25-2018, 09:02 AM
AGF Administrator

Beautiful rendition, Glenn. I enjoyed that.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell