The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-04-2018, 11:39 AM

Default Acoustical Guitar Amplifier - Now or in the long run?

I've read a bunch of reviews regarding amplifiers for home use... an my main concern is since I'm new the guitar scene, wanted some opinions regarding which amp to purchase.

Seen many reviews about the fishman loudbox mini (which I'm leaning towards) but will I need all that power/options (reverb/chorus)? I don't play professionally, just for family/friends. It'll be posted in my bedroom for 90% of the time (practice area). Plus I still got a long way to go before I become a decent player (still learning). Wondering if I should get a small little amp (fender acoustasonic 15) that will fit my needs right now or will I regret not spending the extra money to get something that will last for years to come? Maybe all the options on the fishman might come into good use in the future?

I only have one acoustical guitar, which I love playing/practicing on. Just stuck choosing between the two. Do I fill the "at the moment" need or look ahead for "in the long run"? Decisions decisions... Any opinions will be appreciated.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:04 PM

Go for the long run... having a better amp will encourage you to play more. Fishman loudbox mini sounds like a good option for you.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:44 PM

akcool - Good you are doing some research. That way, you will get the info you need to make good decision.

My thought is.. Get the best amp you can afford. That way you will only have to buy once! The Fishman is a great choice and sounds amazing for it's size.

Also regarding your question about options.. I do like adding a little reverb or chorus for home use.. It adds dimension to the sound. Touch of either will make your Taylor sing!

I've never heard the Fender. So I cannot comment. But at $99 it is not huge investment. Are you buying locally ? If so, perhaps you can buy one and try and see how it sounds. If you don't like it .. Then exchange for the Loudbox mini.

Oh.. with due respect about the wording. It is normally called an Acoustic Guitar or Acoustic Amp (not acoustical). Again, I am just pointing it out. No biggie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akcool View Post
I've read a bunch of reviews regarding amplifiers for home use... an my main concern is since I'm new the guitar scene, wanted some opinions regarding which amp to purchase.

Seen many reviews about the fishman loudbox mini (which I'm leaning towards) but will I need all that power/options (reverb/chorus)? I don't play professionally, just for family/friends. It'll be posted in my bedroom for 90% of the time (practice area). Plus I still got a long way to go before I become a decent player (still learning). Wondering if I should get a small little amp (fender acoustasonic 15) that will fit my needs right now or will I regret not spending the extra money to get something that will last for years to come? Maybe all the options on the fishman might come into good use in the future?

I only have one acoustical guitar, which I love playing/practicing on. Just stuck choosing between the two. Do I fill the "at the moment" need or look ahead for "in the long run"? Decisions decisions... Any opinions will be appreciated.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:52 PM

Quote:

I'd buy a used Mini.

Than said, why do you want an amplifier at all at this stage? If you only play for yourself and for family and friends, you don't need amplification, which is really for when you need to be heard in some larger context than in your bedroom, living room, or even at a party in your house. Some people get an amp in order to experiment with adding effects to their acoustic sound, but your comments suggest that this isn't an interest you have since even the modest effects on the Mini are a matter of indifference for you.

So why an amp right now? Why not just cross that bridge when and if you get to the stage at which you either want to perform in public or experiment with effects?

Louis
Old 04-04-2018, 02:31 PM

I agree with Louis. The primary purpose of an amp is to bring your guitar plus one box (the amp) to a Jam or other live setting and have instant-setup, self-contained amplification. One power cable, one instrument cable, guitar, amp and you're good to go.

For home use, unless you're trying to get used to the sensation of playing while amplified, I wouldn't think an amplifier would be especially useful.

But if you need one, you can't beat the Mini. I have one that I bring to open Jams and it works great. I never use it at home.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:40 PM

I have a loudbox performer (I got it for $329 when a seller shipped out the wrong item - I had ordered a mini - and never sent me the return shipping label I requested, but that’s another story). I’ve gigged it a few (half-dozen or so) times in the past five years, but it mostly sits in my music room. I use it to amplify acoustic guitars and sing through, and it does a bang-up job of that - even though I’m using maybe a tenth of the available 180 watts. If you get the Fender, you may want more later, but if you get the mini, you’ll be set for almost anything...
Old 04-04-2018, 02:59 PM

The reason for wanting an "acoustic amp" (thanks jakestone) is... confirmation. Also I had so much fun messing with one at a friends house as it made the playing sound so much crisper/fuller with less effort. Thought, how come I don't have an amp? Don't really need one, like you guys posted as I'm not performing. Primarily to use and mess around with, for now that is. Plus I have an opportunity to get one for a great price.

And thanks you guys! Greatly appreciate the feedback. I'll definitely consider making the purchase now...
Old 04-04-2018, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

I would encourage you to buy the best amp you can reasonably afford.

And I would definitely encourage you to buy an amp if you're interested in it, even if you think you'll "only" be playing at home for the foreseeable future.

Main reason being, it's fun.

Second reason is, if you're able to play on decent equipment (from the guitar itself to whatever amp you're using), you're more likely to enjoy it and keep playing more.

Having an amp can also provide variety, helping relieve the monotony that can accompany getting better on any instrument. Reverb is fun. Chorus is fun. Quality amplified sound reproduction is fun.

Both those amps have two inputs. If you like to sing, you'll be able to hear how your voice and guitar go together from a perspective you can't totally get with your ears right on top of your mouth and your instrument, and experiment more with that. This could lead to even more fun--and maybe a quicker path to performing for others, if that's something you want to do.

The Loudbox Mini is considerably better than that particular Fender. If you think you'll actually use it--it *is* a waste to spend money on anything and let it collect dust--then literally if it were me, I'd go for the Loudbox Mini.

Free advice, worth every penny lol.
Old 04-04-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
I would encourage you to buy the best amp you can reasonably afford.

Main reason being, it's fun.

Great advice !

I agree ... It's all about having fun
Old 04-04-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
The reason for wanting an "acoustic amp" (thanks jakestone) is... confirmation. Also I had so much fun messing with one at a friends house as it made the playing sound so much crisper/fuller with less effort. Thought, how come I don't have an amp? Don't really need one, like you guys posted as I'm not performing. Primarily to use and mess around with, for now that is. Plus I have an opportunity to get one for a great price.

And thanks you guys! Greatly appreciate the feedback. I'll definitely consider making the purchase now...
Glad to help..
Old 04-04-2018, 04:00 PM

If you buy a really good tool, you increase the probability that you'll enjoy using it long-term. One of the best purchases I've ever made is my Schertler Unico. It was quite a bit more than many other amps, but it's so incredibly flexible that it became a great problem solver over and over... a great tool.

I think the Fishman boxes are good. Very flexible. And their fidelity is solid at that price point.

The AER range also make great tools with really good sound and amazing portability.

And of course I still think the Schertler amps are super.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:11 PM
Charter Member

I'm new to acoustic, but not guitars. Even if you are only playing at home, there are benefits to having an amp. It definitely adds a different dimension, which adds to the fun. It opens up a lot of options for you. Because an amp accentuates everything I am also learning how to better control my accuracy and how to vary my picking touch.

I'm playing pretty clean right now, just dialing in the sound I want. As I learn new songs I will be experimenting with different variations of tone and some different effects, even a little distortion. Can't do that without going through amplification of some sort.

My advice on an amp, a guitar or anything for that matter is to try a few things, and buy something you will not outgrow too soon. I just bought a Fishman Artist and am glad I did. The Mini is great as well, but I plan on playing out including singing through it so the Artist has more of what I wanted.

Best of luck and happy playing!
Old 04-04-2018, 08:32 PM

The only downside of the Loudbox mini, in the use you’re describing, is that it lacks a headphone/muted mode.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:25 PM

Thanks you guys... you are definitely right, it is fun playing on an amp. And as long as its fun, why not right? Again, thanks everyone for the confirmation
Old 04-05-2018, 06:30 AM

As stated above buy the best you can afford.
Nothing wrong with buying used especially
if you can get a warrantee . My take on the
fender is you ma like it at first but as you
progress you'll notice it just doesnt cut it any more
and you'll want a better amp. 99 bucks wasted.
If you have a grand i would look at the aer line
stellar sound in a small box. Or a qsc speaker and a small
mixing board (think of the future ..you may want to perform out someday)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification