The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-26-2018, 12:49 PM

Default 2002 Taylor W10c. Keep the Pure mini or retrofit with ES2?

I've got a 2002 Taylor W10ce that has a factory installed K&K Pure Mini. I LOVE this guitar and I actually prefer playing it over my 1998 810. I play a lot at church and play occasionally at gigs around my area. I really like the sound of the Pure Mini but would prefer more control over the tone and volume. I use an Ultrasound DI plus preamp when plugged into the PA system at church and it's great. However, if I want to go play a gig somewhere else, I don't like to unhook my wireless and pre-amp at church and lug it around. I'm really considering having this guitar retrofitted with the ES2 system, so I can get around all of that. I'm looking for pro/cons and to get all of your opinions. I don't plan on selling the guitar, so having Taylor cut holes in it isn't and issue for me. Should I get the ES2 or keep it like it is with the Pure Mini? Your thoughts please.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 04-26-2018, 12:54 PM

Default K&K Vs....

Go with the K&K. You'll get great sound out of it, you won't have all that crud inhabiting the inside of your guitar, won't have the rattling battery box at the bottom or all those extras holes defacing the natural look of the guitar's wood.

Get the impression that I'm not a fan of the ES 2? Yeah, about that.......
1968 Aria 6815 12 String, bought new
Old 04-26-2018, 01:02 PM

Also, look at the Trance Audio Amulet. I have it in a couple of my guitars and love it.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

I use the K&K mini in my guitars and understand your situation. I find that the smaller the DI box the more like I'll use it and easier it is to carry with me. I have a K&K Pure XLR preamp and it works fine but I recently tried the new(ish) LR Baggs Session Di (about the same price) with compression and saturation and it's a great combination. And it's small enough to fit inside my guitar case. Really is my favorite preamp.
The other option is the K&K Ultra Pure System that gives you onboard controls with built in preamp including phase. It works well too. Just depends on how much hardware you want inside your guitar?
http://kksound.com/products/ultrapuresystem.php

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 04-26-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
I use the K&K mini in my guitars and understand your situation. I find that the smaller the DI box the more like I'll use it and easier it is to carry with me. I have a K&K Pure XLR preamp and it works fine but I recently tried the new(ish) LR Baggs Session Di (about the same price) with compression and saturation and it's a great combination. And it's small enough to fit inside my guitar case. Really is my favorite preamp.
The other option is the K&K Ultra Pure System that gives you onboard controls with built in preamp including phase. It works well too. Just depends on how much hardware you want inside your guitar?
http://kksound.com/products/ultrapuresystem.php
That ultra pure system looks pretty cool. My only dislike for it is that stupid Velcro battery bag that goes in the guitar. I've got the Fishman Matrix Infinity in my 1995 810 and it's almost impossible to change the battery unless you take the strings off. I really don't know what I want to do.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 04-26-2018, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

The best thing I can say about the Taylor systems is they never sound bad. Never sound like a cheap undersaddle piezo. Never sound like a K&K mini with no preamp direct to a board.

But they never sound really good to me. Now working in every scenario from solo to a working band is not a bad thing, and there is a lot to be said for that.

As for feeling the need for a bunch of EQ, since going Dazzo and more recently Dazzo into SunnAudio DI, well I just don't need any more than is on my amp or any mixing board.

Frequency matched pickups for your guitar into a full frequency linear pre with a ton of headroom into PA or amp set mostly flat is the recipe for happiness.

I have discussed the ES system with multiple Taylor owners and they agree, with gigging musicians most liking them because they never sound bad and they do fine in every situation.

I've not played in a loud band in a while, so I'm fully willing to admit to situations I might really want a Taylor to plug in.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 04-27-2018, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
gigging musicians most liking them because they never sound bad and they do fine in every situation.
This has been my experience with the ES-2. In bth by 214ce-k dlx and my gs mini-e koa. Straight into the PA and you're on your way.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:37 AM
Charter Member

I picked up an 814 when the ES-2 came out, hopping to have a no hassle live rig.
I was not happy with the sound. It was better then most USTs I have experienced but I felt it lacked the warmth I was looking for. The guitar sounded great unplugged.

I now use a Furch D32 with a mini/mic/onboard pre/sound hole controls. It has all the warmth and volume I need. The mic will feed back if you crank it but adding just 10 to 15% adds a nice shimmer. Most folks would not notice I blended in the mic and I could live without it but it does add a subtle transparency and shimmer to the sound that I notice. The only down side with the on board pre is you would still need an external EQ for on the fly adjustments. But for my solo gigs I have not needed it. I have it adjusted at the board.

So a K&K with small outboard pre would, IMHO, sounds better then the ES-2
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 04-27-2018, 07:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
That ultra pure system looks pretty cool. My only dislike for it is that stupid Velcro battery bag that goes in the guitar. I've got the Fishman Matrix Infinity in my 1995 810 and it's almost impossible to change the battery unless you take the strings off. I really don't know what I want to do.
Yeah...you do have to remove the strings for a battery change? I have it in my OM-28 and it's my "grab & go" when I just don't want to have to think about it. It's also the only guitar I have that has all that hardware inside. But it is kind of nice to have the one?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion