The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-29-2018, 01:11 AM
Charter Member

Default Dazzo owners attention this

Well any piezo pickup owners really.

Got my Blender DI from Sunnaudio today, a bit of a custom box in that it is pre production, and the frequency extension is phenomenal. Tailor made for the Dazzo pickups, it is very rich sounding. I imagine it would work well with JJB or K&Ks too.It sounds to me significantly better than my RedEye and I LOVE my RedEye, but there is a new kid on the block.

Disclaimer: they gave me a bit of a deal on it
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 03-29-2018, 02:06 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thank you for the positive feedback Br1ck!
The Blender DI circuit is our actual production circuit and there will be no difference in frequency response to the on-board mounted units. The DI offers phantom power but runs seamlessly between the two. The main difference in all this will be what cable and cable length you use. Enjoy!

The Tone Driver TD-1 preamps are virtually the same frequency response with the added bass and treble controls.

Marc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
Well any piezo pickup owners really.

Got my Blender DI from Sunnaudio today, a bit of a custom box in that it is pre production, and the frequency extension is phenomenal. Tailor made for the Dazzo pickups, it is very rich sounding. I imagine it would work well with JJB or K&Ks too.It sounds to me significantly better than my RedEye and I LOVE my RedEye, but there is a new kid on the block.

Disclaimer: they gave me a bit of a deal on it
Old 03-30-2018, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

In real world use, Sunnaudio rocks the world. Ran everything through it at an open mic last night. A/Bd it with a Fishman Matrix and there was no contest. 30 seconds was all the Fishman lasted.

One guy asked the host what effects he was using. We weren't using effects on the guitars. No one had heard the detail captured in amplified signal before. It was coincidental that three of us were running Dazzos last night, a D 28, a 000 16, and my Epi Texan. EQ ran flat all night.

So I can say with certainty you Dazzo owners will like running through Sunnaudio circuitry. The K&Ks sounded pretty great too. Studio quality sound is not a hype. I haven't used any of the Grace level pre amps, but if you think you like your pickups through a RedEye, you'll be doing cartwheels with Sunnaudio.

And I have absolutely loved my RedEye, but also never heard the bass my guitar is capable of producing. That my impressions were validated universally only reinforces them. Mind you I have 67 year old hearing, so needed to hear from others.

Once again, Dazzos-Sunnaudio-mixing board. No EQ After most went home, we cranked the volume, were thrashing a guitar as hard as you would ever play and we couldn't get anything to distort. The dynamic range is impressive. We will continue to use the DI with every piezo equipped guitar that comes along. No one showed up with a $400 guitar with an onboard system last night. That will be interesting, because my suspicion is garbage in, garbage out.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Fluke tenor ukulele

Old 03-30-2018, 11:26 PM

I have nothing but good things to say about my Sunnaudio Line Driver. I wondered what it would do through other pickups. All I have are Dazzos. I am also a Red Eye fan. Love it for it’s simplicity and it’s ability to handle the Dazzos strong signal. It has enough EQ to get me through most situations. Then along came my Grace Alix. Wider bandwidth, more air, and then it’s great EQ section. I have been using the Line Driver for three or 4 weeks now. It adds more girth to the note and a more balanced sound. Can’t wait to see them complete their product line.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 03-31-2018, 11:59 AM

Are all these for internal mount? It looks like there is something planned for external use but not shipping yet.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 03-31-2018, 01:06 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hi Gordon,
We are about 3-4 weeks out for our pre-production stage DI's.
These will not have our final graphics but will be labeled and have the same circuit internally as the production run.
We are offering the first 10 units at a discount on the AG forum.
If you or anyone is interested, or have questions, please email us:
[email protected]

Marc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
Are all these for internal mount? It looks like there is something planned for external use but not shipping yet.
Old 03-31-2018, 02:01 PM

Sounds very interesting! Check your mail....
Dazzo 70's & SunnAudio Stage DI
Old 03-31-2018, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

If you want one now, don't hesitate. If you need silkscreen graphics on your box, wait. The sound will be the same and there is nothing crude about the housing in the prototype.

One more note. When Sunnaudio said they were recording Teddy Randazzo with their unit, I was very skeptical. I unplugged my Shure SM 81 in my home studio to try my Blender DI, and my mic remains unplugged. I will be using both the pickup and a mic going forward and blending them.

If I had just one guitar, I'd get the onboard system put in, but with five Dazzo equipped guitars, outboard is the way to go for me.. I too like the simplicity of the RedEye. My Blender is even simpler. The Sunnaudio pre I believe will have the DI plus bass and treble knobs, which if I remember from playing Teddy's, was quite effective.Marc should be the one providing the particulars. But since I've had Dazzos, I have not needed much if any EQ. From my meager experience, more damage is likely done misusing EQ than good. Good pots are expensive and adding three or four pots to a unit quickly gets you to to a $500 plus pre. Don't kid yourself you are getting the best quality components in anything that sells for less. Caps, jacks, resistors et al also add up.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Fluke tenor ukulele

Last edited by Br1ck; 03-31-2018 at 02:15 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:59 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hi everyone, we have just one Stage DI left at AGF discount. They went fast!

Our prices are listed on our site.
If your'e an AGF member, email us with info and we'll give you the last code for this sale.

Teddy from Dazzo will be up at the La Conner guitar festival May 11-13th.
We will have some of our preamps and DI's there at the Dazzo booth to try out and purchase.

Cheers!

Marc

Last edited by sunnaudio; 04-25-2018 at 07:05 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:14 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Stage DI's are in production now. AGF sale ended.

Our Stage DI sale is over for now, but we now have our current run of DI's in production and available to order.
Also, good news for all 10 pre-production Stage DI's ordered, we were able to get all our cases ordered with printing on them!

We will have more discounts in the future, so check in and feel free to ask us questions and look forward to everyone's feedback.

Cheers,
Marc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnaudio View Post
Hi everyone, we have just one Stage DI left at AGF discount. They went fast!

Our prices are listed on our site.
If your'e an AGF member, email us with info and we'll give you the last code for this sale.

Teddy from Dazzo will be up at the La Conner guitar festival May 11-13th.
We will have some of our preamps and DI's there at the Dazzo booth to try out and purchase.

Cheers!

Marc
Old 04-26-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnaudio View Post
Our Stage DI sale is over for now, but we now have our current run of DI's in production and available to order.
Also, good news for all 10 pre-production Stage DI's ordered, we were able to get all our cases ordered with printing on them!

We will have more discounts in the future, so check in and feel free to ask us questions and look forward to everyone's feedback.

Cheers,
Marc
Is this the Blender or the Stage DI Preamp. Please clarify for me. I am very interested.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 04-26-2018, 02:21 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroad View Post
Is this the Blender or the Stage DI Preamp. Please clarify for me. I am very interested.

Hi Hotroad,
This is for our Stage DI. We previously made a custom Blender DI for Brick, and can also build more of those as a custom order.
Email us if you have any other questions.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification