The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-26-2018, 06:52 AM

I just bought the speed picks as well - I find them to be very comfortable and easier to use, but I think I need a lighter gauge pick, these orange one seems to be LOUD compared to my other picks.

Last edited by srick; 04-26-2018 at 07:07 AM. Reason: AGF spell checker!
Old 04-26-2018, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsanfilippo5 View Post
I just bought the speed picks as well - I find them to be very comfortable and easier to use, but I think I need a lighter gauge pick, these orange one seems to be LOUD compared to my other picks.
Well that's the point of using thumb and finger picks, isn't it!
Old 04-26-2018, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
Well that's the point of using thumb and finger picks, isn't it!
Just a little too loud for me
Old 04-26-2018, 07:39 AM

j - Just a thought, try recording yourself and see if you feel the same about the apparent volume. I have found that the microphone to be a lot more accurate than my ears.

BTW one way to decrease the volume of the speed pick is to shorten the blade a bit.

best,

Rick
Old 04-26-2018, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

Planet Waves Tortoise. Very reasonably priced, and performs quite well IMO. Also, the large is a perfect fit for my thumb. YMMV

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 04-26-2018, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

I've been a Golden Gate user for years - love them! I recently switched to the extra heavy version as it seems to stay on my thumb better and also matches the thickness of my acrylic nails:

Old 04-26-2018, 08:11 AM

When I was using acrylic nails (or metal fingerpicks) and a thumbpick, I tried a bunch of thumbpicks and prefered the golden gate gp10.

Since then, I switched to just using my fingertips. After a couple months, my thumb built up enough callous to sound nice and loud without having to wear a thumbpick.

If you want to test a few thumbpicks, feel free to PM me, and I can mail you some of the ones I used to use, for just the cost of the shipping. I'm not using them anymore anyhow.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:46 AM

I dont know if this is helpful to you but i make mine. Ive done two methods. The first is triming filing and sanding a bevel on a dunlop pick. But my favorite one i clipped off the pick part of the thumb pick and superglued on a small triangle primetone that i like. I glued it so it would be as close as possible to how i hold a flat pick. Works pretty well for me
Old 04-26-2018, 10:19 AM

I've actually had the best success so far with heavily modifying the Ernie Ball reds. Being lefty, I have to remold them to fit the left thumb then clip/sand the pick portion heavily, but it works.

I WANT TO KNOW HOW ANTOINE/DON ROSS CAN ROCK UPSTROKES SO WELL WITH A THUMBPICK! SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME!

</derail>
Old 04-26-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambi View Post
I WANT TO KNOW HOW ANTOINE/DON ROSS CAN ROCK UPSTROKES SO WELL WITH A THUMBPICK! SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME!

</derail>
Jambi - I'm not sure about "their" secret, but I use a wrap of waterproof adhesive tape over the pick and the thumb. It works!
best,

Rick
Old 04-26-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambi View Post
I've actually had the best success so far with heavily modifying the Ernie Ball reds. Being lefty, I have to remold them to fit the left thumb then clip/sand the pick portion heavily, but it works.

</derail>
I’ve wondered the same thing and all I can figure is the just deal with it! I’m thinking it has to do with their attack angle, but I have no clue.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:48 AM

Thumb picks are just as personal as flat picks. The problem is that there is far less selection. You have to consider comfort, stability, length, shape, amount of flex, attack and overall sound. I use several different kinds/brands, but most are modified in some way. Here's a rundown of my choices.

Dunlop: Not a bad pick to start with. I find the "flange" too long and end up filing it shorter and reshaping it. Sometimes I'll give them a speed bevel if I want a crisper attack. FWIW the shape was loosely copied by a cheap "Alice" pick that I bought when I lived in Mexico.

Herco Heavy: Shaped like flat pick with a thumb wrap-around. Not a bad choice if you're switching between between strumming and picking. I sometimes speed bevel this as well.

Golden Gate Heavy: It's thick but the sound is a little too dark for me without the speed bevel.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 04-26-2018, 11:02 AM

I have a tendency to use the back edge of a thumb pick with my attack angle rather than the forward edge and bare fingers with a little nail. I have a Blue Chip that I use for square neck dobro which changes my angle to using more the forward edge of the thumb pick. When I try on my standard acoustic the Blue Chip scrapes the back edge of the pick in an ugly sort of way so I've been trying to gently sand the back edge into the right shape. Not quite there yet because I'm a bit shy of mangling my $40 pick. The fit is great and the most comfortable of any I've tried. I can wear it for hours. It does ride closer to the thumb joint than standard plastic thumb picks which might affect your technique. The tone of Blue Chip is fantastic and beats all the rest hands down.

I also really like the Fred Kelly orange speed and slick picks. The speed pick has a light crispy sound and the slick pick is more of a standard shape with a more subdued tonal quality. Not quite as comfortable as the Blue Chip but I still use them regularly. But most of the time I don't use any picks at all. I've got good thick nails and can get plenty of volume out of my thumb nail.

I used to use the National Extra Heavies as they felt good on my thumb with the extra lip of plastic on the overlap band. I still use these on occasion and think they are great thumb picks, too.
Dirty 30's Parlor 7 series
2007 Redline Rambler Square Neck Resonator

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB1...K6oxpANeRr1_oQ
Old 04-26-2018, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsanfilippo5 View Post
Just a little too loud for me
Try sanding the blade shorter, that will reduce volume a little and has the added benefit of making them easier to use.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDB View Post
Try sanding the blade shorter, that will reduce volume a little and has the added benefit of making them easier to use.
I'll try that. It is a nice feel makes playing.g with a humbpick easier.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion