The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-26-2018, 05:01 AM

I use the compressor built into my Tech 21 Acoustic Fly Rig for single note solos. We cover a lot of classic rock and it combines a separate volume control for boost, and compression to make the solo puch through the mix better (a little more like an electric guitar).
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 04-27-2018, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmarkson View Post
I’ve been through many compression pedals on my electric guitar pedalboard. I would think a VCA style compressor would be best on acoustic. The 2 that I like are the Keeley compressor pro and the one I am currently using on my electric pedal board: the PettyJohn Crush.

I also really like the origin effects compact deluxe pedal. It definitely has a sound, and isn’t as transparent, but that sound is wonderful.
+1 on the Pettyjohn Crush, I think it's the best "always on" comp for acoustic guitar. Never heavy handed, dead quiet and has clean blend to hold onto your dynamics. I love Pettyjohn stuff, it's pricey but you get console quality in a pedal.

Also love the Origin Effects Cali 76, it's an 1176 comp in a pedal. Yes it has a sound and the name of that sound is Stephen Stills, although I still can't figure out how to dial in his talent.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:08 AM

I’ll throw out a suggestion based on what I use, the Strymon Ob.1. It’s optical which I prefer on acoustic. Even at the highest setting it doesn’t grab anywhere near as much as the Diamond comp (which I love for electric). It also has a great clean boost section with a selector switch that allows for boosting highs, mids, or full range. They are super reasonably priced on the used market. I am actually looking at buying a second to put on a smaller fly rig for a “grab and go” setup.
Old 04-30-2018, 05:16 PM

I use a Fishman Tonedeq which has a compressor which I use as a tool to control output. It is easy to set up. I play in instrumental bands and the music covers wide dynamic ranges. The compressor really help smooth out the tone by keeping the signal from breaking up at the peaks.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification