The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-19-2018, 03:36 PM

Default ALVAREZ ALERT!!!-AG60CEAR vs AG70CEAR vs AG75

Considering these 3 Alvarez grand auditorium models. Have tried some Alvarez guitars locally and was impressed with all of them but didn't care for the models they had in stock. Anyone try any of these three?

AG60CEAR
AG70CEAR
AG75CE

The 75 has a Cedar top, which is quite different from the spruce top of the others. The 70 has rosewood b/s while the 60 has hog b/s. I am leaning towards the 70CEAR. I am also intrigued with this beveled edge thing. All reports say it's nice and comfortable on the arm.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

I can't help you with those particular models but I have to say that Alvarez guitars give you a lot of guitar for your money.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:53 PM

I agree Alvarez guitars are a good value. Where's the alert???
Old 03-19-2018, 05:31 PM

You will be hard pressed to find a guitar of that class for that amount of money. If you like the Artist series, you should try the Masterworks series. They are excellent guitars.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
You will be hard pressed to find a guitar of that class for that amount of money. If you like the Artist series, you should try the Masterworks series. They are excellent guitars.
problem is no Masterworks are Spruce and Concert size. They all seem to be mahogany.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

I'm in the process of looking for my first acoustic guitar, so I'm no expert by any means.

That being said, in my search, I've played two of the guitars you mentioned: the AG610CEAR (which is a GC-only variation of the AG60CEAR - same guitar but with shadowburst finish) and the AG75CE. Frankly, I quite liked both. I wasn't even considering Alvarez until I happened to pick up the AG610CEAR - very comfy with that armrest bevel and quite a lot of guitar for the money. The AG75CE was also very nice and I really liked the combo of cedar with rosewood.

The comfort of both of these is enhanced by the fact that they are both grand auditoriums - most of what I've been considering have been dreads. I've been a bass player for over a quarter century now so I like it when I can feel the thump in my chest. The grand auditoriums aren't far from that mark.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:00 PM

The MGA70e is a real guitar.
It may have to be ordered.
But it exists.

The Artist series completely rocks.
I have an ADA1965 that I “rescued”
I’m into it for not quite $150.

But I have FIVE Alvarez guitars.
I’d stop buying the durn things if they sucked.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 03-20-2018, 08:16 AM

Leaning towards the AG70CEAR.

It's weird....you almost never hear anything bad about Alvarez guitars, but they aren't recommended often either. Almost like it's a secret
Old 03-20-2018, 08:33 AM

Default shhhhhhusshhhhh ...

K. Yairi necks are amazing, and the S. Yairi has tone and volume that makes you wonder where it comes from.

I think Alvarez are K. Yairi (dude was all about the wood & tone) just branded Alvarez due to some export issue. And S. Yairi was a cousin, but there was no legal association. Their plants were in different cities. I've read where S. Yairi produced for Lowden.

I take the opportunity to try every Yairi, and Alvarez I come across. I've never been disappointed. Hit way above their price range imo.

'05 Larrivée 0M-03 Custom (bear claw/hog), '13 Kronbauer TDK 285 MJ Custom (koa), '94 Froggy Bottom Custom (koa) dread', '08 Seagull Artist (EIR), '19 Gnome Blues Custom (EIR/T13? redwood), '78 S. Yairi 726 (hog), '84 K Yairi AR377, 1905 Vega parlor (hog), 60's Stella,'94 Saudi Tele', '79 Epi Genesis

"Your sound is in your hands ... ... more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." - SRV

Last edited by Blind Dog; 03-20-2018 at 08:40 AM.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:29 AM

Every Alvarez thread I've seen always turns to Yairi... Apples/oranges. I guess they have an identity problem.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:29 AM

These guitars have laminated sides and back.
There are some people that feel that there will be no difference in the sound of a laminated guitar make from rosewood or mahogany.

I disagree totally with that myself.
I have had several laminated back and sides guitars over the years and I always prefer the sound of the guitars with rosewood.

I don't own any of the guitars that you listed but I have played some Drednaught Alvarez guitars with laminated sides and backs.
As expected, I liked the rosewood models best.

Import guitars in the near future will be moving to other woods and away from rosewood due to CITES regs.
If you like rosewood, get it while it's available.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

I haven't heard those models, but I'll add a little info and opinion.
Alvarez guitars are made in China in 3rd party factories. Not a slam on them, just the info.
Alvarez-Yairi is the high end of the Alvarez line, made in the famed K Yairi shop in Japan. Most models are layered solid tonewood (laminated, but not plywood).
As to the never ending argument about solid vs. laminate, there are many construction variations to both. I've tended to own solid wood instruments, and have had quite a few. That said, the 2 A-Y layered (laminated) rosewood dreads I've owned, DY-74 and DY-90, sound as good or better than any of the big name solid wood instruments I've owned, most of which had list prices from $2-4k.
The DY-90 in particular is the best sounding instrument I've ever had in my hands, including a couple dozen good quality "solid wood" guitars.
YMMV, of course, but it is a mistake to "buy by the label". Go and play as many Alvarez if you can to get an idea how the maker's work performs.

Last edited by jonbee; 03-20-2018 at 10:39 AM.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realbluesman View Post
Every Alvarez thread I've seen always turns to Yairi... Apples/oranges. I guess they have an identity problem.
K. Yairi is to Alvarez, as, Furch is to Stonebridge. The difference is one is for export.

S. Yairi might be apples/oranges -- he was K. Yairi's cousin and while there were imo similar sensibilities, there are documents published by K. Yairi stating there are no business/legal ties. Both are imo great value, and great guitars. And different companies.
'05 Larrivée 0M-03 Custom (bear claw/hog), '13 Kronbauer TDK 285 MJ Custom (koa), '94 Froggy Bottom Custom (koa) dread', '08 Seagull Artist (EIR), '19 Gnome Blues Custom (EIR/T13? redwood), '78 S. Yairi 726 (hog), '84 K Yairi AR377, 1905 Vega parlor (hog), 60's Stella,'94 Saudi Tele', '79 Epi Genesis

"Your sound is in your hands ... ... more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." - SRV
Old 03-22-2018, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

Sorry I thought this was an Alvarez Alert !!!!

whew thought there was some emergency there

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 03-22-2018, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Sorry I thought this was an Alvarez Alert !!!!

whew thought there was some emergency there
lol

Maybe "alert" wasn't the best choice of words??

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion