The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-04-2016, 08:48 PM

Default Cracked Crisis

Hi Everyone,

So I hate being the guy who never posts and swoops in with a crisis, but I have been losing sleep over a crack that showed up in my Taylor. I'm hoping someone can tell me if it is a finish crack (I think it is) or if it is a crack in the wood (which the "bad voices" in my head) keep telling me that it is. I also think that I'm noticing some separation from the top and the binding. I can't really see anything, but I can feel a rough patch when I rub my fingers over it. The crack is near center on towards the bottom and the separation is near center on the bottom. I hope the photos make sense.

I never humidified my guitar, and boy am I regretting that now. I got a humidifier today and have it in (nothing like too little too late huh?). Will getting some moisture back into the wood help prevent it from getting worse? This would sure help me get some sleep at night. Every time I hear a creak I think it is the sound of my top breaking in half .

I plan on getting it repaired, but I am really hoping that it can wait for a couple of weeks as I am gigging for the next couple of weekends, and don't have a backup right now. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 01-04-2016, 09:10 PM

Splits in the wood.

Buy a hygrometer so that you know the actual humidity level. Don't guess. Ideally, maintain 40 to 50%.

Have it repaired sooner than later, but it is not an emergency. Keep humidifying in the meantime.

Taylor, in particular, has gone to a lot of trouble to inform owners of proper humidity care and the consequences of not doing so.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
Splits in the wood.

Buy a hygrometer so that you know the actual humidity level. Don't guess. Ideally, maintain 40 to 50%.

Have it repaired sooner than later, but it is not an emergency. Keep humidifying in the meantime.

Taylor, in particular, has gone to a lot of trouble to inform owners of proper humidity care and the consequences of not doing so.
Cracked the 4000 post milestone, just had to mention it.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
Cracked the 4000 post milestone, just had to mention it.
Doing the math, that works out to an average of about two posts per day since 2011. In recent months it is far less than that and will diminish further.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

It's hard to see what's going on in that pictire (for me at least). That looks like the back of a guitar and it doesn't look like the center seam. Certainly looks like a crack though, wherever it is. Humidify as you are doing and get it fixed. If it's the back (as it appears) the tone should be effected very little.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:37 PM

It is really hard to photograph since it is so small. The first photo is the separation of the top from the binding, and the others are of the crack in the top. It is right of the center line. Thanks for the advice. I put a humidifier in it yesterday, and will pick up a hygrometer to keep track of it. I hope to get it to the shop in the next couple of weeks.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

What kind of top is that? It looks like mahogany or ovankol.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:44 PM

It is one of Taylor's Limited guitars. The guitar is all Tasmanian Blackwood.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitear_Leland View Post
It is one of Taylor's Limited guitars. The guitar is all Tasmanian Blackwood.
Dang it. I knew I had the wrong wood. Just couldn't place it. Tasmanian Blackwood. Cool. Good luck with the fix. It's certainly a pretty guitar.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
.....in recent months it is far less than that and will diminish further....
I'm in the same boat, Charles. No good deed goes unpunished. These days, I only check in maybe once a week to see if there are any waiting PM's. But I have always enjoyed, learned from, and appreciated your well-constructed and intelligent posts.
Old 01-05-2016, 04:20 PM

It may not be on the center line, but it sure looks like a bookmatched joint line. The wood should not be able to shrink enough in length to cause that gap at the binding, and the gap looks partly filled with glue. I am left wondering if this guitar slipped past QC at Taylor. If you are the original owner, I suggest taking it to an authorized Taylor service center.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair