The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-05-2022, 09:48 AM

Default High end small amp shootouts?

I have been floating with a Roland AC-33 for YEARS. I’ve had to have it serviced twice and had to replace the power adapter once. It’s all right - it’s convenient with all the features built in but just not the most quality build or sound and only 30 watts. Time for an upgrade!

Any updates on users experiences with small acoustic guitar amps on the higher end? I am looking at the gamut of options (minus the Bose/Fishman so please don’t recommend those) like:

(*edit) AER
Hughes & Kettner ERA 1/2
Godin ASG-8
Schertler
Genz Benz
Elite Acoustics

just to name a few. What’s THE BEST as far as tone chasing goes with those of the like? It will be used strictly for instrumental play. I plan to use it for practice, busking with a portable power station, and fine dining/small instrumental gigs indoors. Thanks!

Last edited by jpino; 06-05-2022 at 11:42 AM.
Old 06-05-2022, 10:30 AM

The Elite Acoustics D6-58 is the best sounding, most feature rich amp I’ve ever heard. I highly, highly recommend it!
Old 06-05-2022, 10:37 AM

I've gigged with a Schertler Unico now for 15 years. Nothing else I use has been as dependable or as flexible. And it sounds fantastic.
Old 06-05-2022, 11:20 AM

AER and Udo should be on your list.
Old 06-05-2022, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
AER and Udo should be on your list.
Thanks for the replies! Yes I almost put AER on there but I figured I’d give the newer guys on the block some love. Good to know that compact 60 still holds up. I added it to the list.

What’s up with Udo? Never heard of that brand..
Old 06-05-2022, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
I've gigged with a Schertler Unico now for 15 years. Nothing else I use has been as dependable or as flexible. And it sounds fantastic.
Nice! Always wanted to try out the Roy I hear amazing things besides the weight and price(out of my budget).

There is a Jam 100 on the AGF marketplace for a good price I was eyeing.

There is a small one at my local store I mean to try out (Julia?). The store owner didn’t really have anything good to say about that particular model vs other amps ::shrug::

Last edited by jpino; 06-05-2022 at 11:50 AM.
Old 06-05-2022, 12:31 PM

Although I've loved my Unico, my advice to those who value flexibility AND great tone has evolved. And is a little heretical.

Acoustic guitars love 15" speakers. That's the first heresy. The second is maybe even worse, and that is that the Behringer lineup of B???D speakers is fantastic for the price.

So my advice today is a Behringer B115D and a Zoom L8 mixer (good sound, good recording, good seperate mixes).
Old 06-05-2022, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpino View Post
Thanks for the replies! Yes I almost put AER on there but I figured I’d give the newer guys on the block some love. Good to know that compact 60 still holds up. I added it to the list.

What’s up with Udo? Never heard of that brand..
The guy who originally involved with the AER started a new company. I have one of the Udos - it does what you need, with the usual caveats about a small box. I do prefer the concentric drivers to a separate tweeter.

https://www.udo-amps.com/products/amps/da-capo-75/

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 06-05-2022, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
The Elite Acoustics D6-58 is the best sounding, most feature rich amp I’ve ever heard. I highly, highly recommend it!
Second this plus with the internal rechargeable battery no need to lug a powerstation for busking.
Old 06-05-2022, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

Only thing I have to say on the subject. The AER amps need the space they were designed for, a stage and decent sized room. They never sound their best at home to me.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 06-05-2022, 02:19 PM

I've been using stereo AER/Schertler for several years. Very reliable, the AER sounds a lot better to my ears. The new Henriksen is a very nice unit too.
If you can, have someone play through an AER C/60 with your guitar and slowly walk around the room.
Old 06-05-2022, 03:14 PM

Default High end small amp shootouts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Second this plus with the internal rechargeable battery no need to lug a powerstation for busking.

Plus enough channels for a duo. And really cool options for interfacing with a larger system.

For example, you can send unprocessed guitar and voice separately to a sound person.

Or you can send a mix to a powered speaker (one or a pair). There is a dedicated EQ with high pass filter and sweepable mids just for this.

You also have a separate TRS stereo aux out for and extra FX bus or monitor mix.

The sound is more like a studio reference monitor than typical live sound. It sounds like you invited someone into your studio for a performance.

Plus, it is well constructed, and the wood cabinet version is beautiful. My wife doesn’t complain when I leave it in the living room.

I absolutely love it!
Old 06-07-2022, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

My Mesa Rosette compares most favorably with that list.
Old 06-07-2022, 03:18 PM

I’d take a look at Acus also - the Era 1 is a great sounding amp - I just couldn’t get on with the effects.

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Old 06-08-2022, 04:23 PM

Genzler Acoustic Array Pro...to my ears, is tops. I've had many acoustic amps (still own a fishman 330, S1 Pro and an Udo). Acoustic gigs where I'm providing the sound I'm taking the Genzler every time. Best guitar tone, tied with the 330 for vocals... I use them together but when I just need one, it is the Genzler. I've owned others and ab'd even more. (The Udo shines when my vocals are going through the house system and I use the Udo's DI (post) to FOH...in that situatio, i use the UDO most every time...Genzler DI out is hot..)

Last edited by willymartin; 06-08-2022 at 04:30 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification