The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-17-2009, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

The rib bevels are very comfy as you would expect. I played Michael's 100th guitar (The Phoenix) at the 12th Fret in TO - 25.78" scale, arm & rib bevels, cedar/mahogany - easily one of the best I've played. The tone and feel were exquisite.

Andy's new Greenfields look and sound incredible, and he is quite smitten with them (I covet his fan fret G4!!). And yes, the talented and lovely Brooke Miller owns several G's - her first was a G4, but she has two G2's now. I've seen and heard both up close and they are superb. They are close the beauty of Brooke herself, but not quite there
Old 06-17-2009, 08:42 AM

Ok gang....so here are two of Michael's best Adi that have been air drying in his shop for over 10 years.....

Close ups of each....

More pix to come as the decision making process and build begins to build up steam!
Old 06-17-2009, 09:29 AM
The Foreigner

Doesn't Greenfield have a lead time of about 3-4 years? Did you get someone's slot, or have you actually been waiting that long?
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )
Old 06-17-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmaak View Post
Doesn't Greenfield have a lead time of about 3-4 years? Did you get someone's slot, or have you actually been waiting that long?
This has been in the works for some time now. Michael's lead times are well reflective of the quality and demand of this builds. And now, the time is upon me (us)
Old 06-17-2009, 09:45 AM

WOW!

Another very intersting build! I'm a old traditionalist dread/OM kind of guy, but with those woods that G2 is interesting indeed.

What kind of voicing are you going with, vintage, modern, Greenfields own?

Some people say high end guitars are all bling, and status and overpriced..............and some people know better!

Nice stable!

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 06-17-2009, 09:54 AM

Looks like another fantastic guitar on the way!
1991 Fender American Std. Stratocaster: Keystone single coils and updated controls/wiring
Old 06-17-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmaak View Post
Yes, Michael does have a long wait time - however, build slots do open up when purchasers drop out.
MM
Old 06-17-2009, 10:25 AM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmtri View Post
Yes, Michael does have a long wait time - however, build slots do open up when purchasers drop out.
MM
OK, a little off-topic here but....if someone drops out, shouldn't everyone else behind him be moved up? Assuming another person doesn't "buy" the slot directly from the original customer, of course. Sorry, I really don't know much about the custom build process!
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )
Old 06-17-2009, 10:47 AM
AGF Sponsor

There are some awesome colors in that back!

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:10 PM

Thanks everyone. I'm going with the Adi top on the left, Michael says it taps out better although both are superb.

As for voicing, I think that Greenfields have their own unique, very transparent voicings as the youtube vids suggest.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:36 PM

The BrRw is very nice certainly and will be a great addition to the Blackbird Ryan and the new Olson (you may be cornering the market on straight grained, quarter sawn BrRw for new guitars) and the Adirondack spruce is very beautiful as well. Good choices!
1991 Fender American Std. Stratocaster: Keystone single coils and updated controls/wiring
Old 06-17-2009, 12:45 PM
Charter Member

What a treat to get to check this build and see the magic, I've played a couple of his guitar and I agree, they are amazing... Love your choice of ADI also, many fingerstyle builders been staying away a bit from ADI, seems like also some kind of Euro spruce etc, ADI rocks when built thin and correct! Some of my favorite fingerstyle guitars are ADI...
Old 06-17-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondave View Post
What a treat to get to check this build and see the magic, I've played a couple of his guitar and I agree, they are amazing... Love your choice of ADI also, many fingerstyle builders been staying away a bit from ADI, seems like also some kind of Euro spruce etc, ADI rocks when built thin and correct! Some of my favorite fingerstyle guitars are ADI...
I totally agree Dave. Adi kinda has this reputation to be only well suited for flatpickers and blue grass, but several Adi tops I've played are aweseome for strumming, flatpicking as well as fingerstyle. When built properly there can be very nice overtones as well as quick projection and responsiveness that I believe is needed in a larger sized guitar.

Fortunately I was able to find one in a Goodall Traditional dread that is pure magic. That one happens to be for sale in our AGF Classifieds now.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

Congrats! Greenfields are beautiful guitars. I've only had the chance to play one, and it was almost a year ago, but what a wonderful guitar...

I look forward to following this thread!

Kindly,
Danny
Old 06-17-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcmusic7 View Post
Congrats! Greenfields are beautiful guitars. I've only had the chance to play one, and it was almost a year ago, but what a wonderful guitar...

I look forward to following this thread!

Kindly,
Danny
Thanks Danny. I totally dig your music and am so grateful that you turned me on to my Doerr. A winner guitar for sure that is in good company on my team of guitars!

Michael recently changed the voicings of his guitars so his recently ones are simply amazing...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop