The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-25-2013, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

Default Sonic comparisons b/t the "New" D-18, D-18V and D-18GE

Since "D-18" isn't really a valid search term I couldn't find much... forgive me if this has been extensively covered... and if so feel free to direct me to other threads if you can find them.

Wondering how the new Standard D-18 compares to the D-18V and the D-18GE (the tone, not the specs). I've played them all, but never side by side, and only played the standard briefly.

Impressions/comparisons in terms of tone and volume from those of you that have spent time with them. The new standard seems like a pretty sick deal.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 10-25-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
Since "D-18" isn't really a valid search term I couldn't find much... forgive me if this has been extensively covered... and if so feel free to direct me to other threads if you can find them.

Wondering how the new Standard D-18 compares to the D-18V and the D-18GE (the tone, not the specs). I've played them all, but never side by side, and only played the standard briefly.

Impressions/comparisons in terms of tone and volume from those of you that have spent time with them. The new standard seems like a pretty sick deal.
D-18 = Thin
D-18V = Less Thin
D-18GE = Least Thin (of the three)
D-18 Authentic = Just right (sounds more like a good D-28)

Old 10-25-2013, 08:01 AM
AGF Sponsor

The new D-18 (post 2012) has the same inner construction as the D-18V and sounds extremely similar to it, if not identcal. They are warm and thick compared to the bright and chimey D-18GE and it's adirondack top. Here are a couple of recent videos we've produced, if you're interested.

D-18 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft3pkIlBjGg&sns=em

D-18GE http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSW_v43XAJU&sns=em
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 10-25-2013, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post
D-18 = Thin
D-18V = Less Thin

That poses an interesting question... why would I spend the money on a D-18 Authentic if it sounds like a D-28? Doesn't buying a hog guitar that sounds like rosewood arguably defeat the purpose of buying a hog guitar?

I'm considering a hog dread to compliment the EIR/Sitka Bourg in my sig (which I'm quite happy with), I would want something woodier and more fundamental, more cutting perhaps... is this the "thinness" you speak of?

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 10-25-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaurysMusic View Post
The new D-18 (post 2012) has the same inner construction as the D-18V and sounds extremely similar to it, if not identcal. They are warm and thick compared to the bright and chimey D-18GE and it's adirondack top. Here are a couple of recent videos we've produced, if you're interested.

D-18 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft3pkIlBjGg&sns=em

D-18GE http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSW_v43XAJU&sns=em
So how would the D-18 custom with adi top fit into that? GE tone with standard feel?

The only difference I can see structurally* between a D-18 custom and D-18GE is:

GE Standard ''X'' Scalloped (Golden Era Style), Forward Shifted
Custom Standard ''X'' Scalloped, Forward Shifted

*obviously cosmetics, string spacing, neck profile aside.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:54 AM
Guest 1928

Quote:
...why would I spend the money on a D-18 Authentic if it sounds like a D-28?...
Dave said, "...more like…". I take that to mean thicker and richer than a typical modern mahogany guitar, but not exactly like a rosewood guitar. Not that I have much experience Authentics or anything like that.

To answer the OP's question, I can't tell much difference between the new D-18 and the discontinued D-18V. It really comes down to the individual guitar and preference for neck shape.

The straight braced D-18 is going to be considerably brighter and often thinner. They tend to sound better as they get older, but still not my first choice.

The D-18GE will be bolder than either of those, thicker mids and a better bottom end.

The Authentic is another animal entirely, IMO.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:57 AM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganskins View Post
So how would the D-18 custom with adi top fit into that? GE tone with standard feel?

The only difference I can see structurally* between a D-18 custom and D-18GE is:

GE Standard ''X'' Scalloped (Golden Era Style), Forward Shifted
Custom Standard ''X'' Scalloped, Forward Shifted

*obviously cosmetics, string spacing, neck profile aside.
The GE bracing is considerably lighter (more deeply scalloped, with the scallop coming closer to the center of the X) and the bridge plate is smaller (1 11/16" compared to 2").
Old 10-25-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
The GE bracing is considerably lighter (more deeply scalloped, with the scallop coming closer to the center of the X) and the bridge plate is smaller (1 11/16" compared to 2").
OK, thanks for the explanation. How does that effect the tone?
Old 10-25-2013, 09:27 AM

Here's a nice video shoot-out between the standard D-28 and the new D-18 ... I'm biased, but I like the D-18. I bought the D-18 after personally making a similar live comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7Bx_AqgMNw

"QUOTE" warfrat73 ... why would I spend the money on a D-18 Authentic if it sounds like a D-28? Doesn't buying a hog guitar that sounds like rosewood arguably defeat the purpose of buying a hog guitar?"

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair

Last edited by Judson; 10-25-2013 at 10:16 AM.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post
D-18 = Thin
D-18V = Less Thin

Of all the descriptive words that I would use to describe my D18 thin has never crossed my mind.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:

I would caution you not to rely on others who also may have not played these guitars side by side. Even if they did, your memory of these guitars, however brief the experience, is probably more useful than random opinions. Same goes for videos that are not direct side by side comparisons. Videos recorded days, weeks, or even years apart are of little use as comparison tools.

Sorry I'm not more help.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:32 AM

I got a kick out of Kentucky Dave's posting

I know he's a rosewood sort of a guy, so I can definitely relate to his response, and I agree to a certain extant.

I have all three, new D18, D18V and a D18GE, I'd categorize them as all being more woody, with the D18V and new D18 being more woody than my GE. My GE being the brightest kid on the D18 block.

I can play the D18 series for weeks, and have done so. Then turn over to rosewood to get a totally different tone, a more powerful tone from my EIR.

Thanks for that entertaining and quite accurate assessments of the D18,

Harmonics
Old 10-25-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonics101 View Post
...I have all three, new D18, D18V and a D18GE, I'd categorize them as all being more woody, with the D18V and new D18 being more woody than my GE. My GE being the brightest kid on the D18 block...
Gotta love this forum, in less than two hours we have a response from someone who actually owns all three guitars.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

I wouldn't base a purchase just on the opinions here, but if enough people seem to have similar experiences it can be useful. I like the tone of the GE's that I've played, but the mod V neck would take some getting used to for me. And the 1 11/16" nut on the V was always a bit of a turn off for me. It seems that the new standard kind of got all the specs right for my tastes, I guess I was just curious about the execution.

It's also interesting to consider a recorded shoot out between a rosewood guitar and a hog one, as one oft cited virtue of hog is that it records well... I sort of wonder how that would shake out in the shoot out.

(Call me Dan)
Old 10-25-2013, 10:23 AM

My somewhat tongue-in-cheek response was basing it on the pre-2012 D-18, since as was pointed out, the new D-18 is virtually the same as what was the defunct D-18V.

"Thin" relative to a good D-28 is and always has been my impression of the more modern, straight-braced, standard X position D-18. I owned a primo 1964, old factory D-18. It did everything a good D-18 is supposed to & did it well. But in the end, I sold it because it just sounded too thin relative to a good D-28.

The Authentics get beyond that (as do the pre-wars) because they have the meat, the bottom, that the D-28 is known/admired for, plus the cut the D-18 is known for. However, my contention is and has always been that a "good" D-28 does also have cut to go with the famous bottom end.

That's my story & I'm sticking to it!!!

P.S. I've owned one very good D-18, had longtime friends with old D-18's, D-18GE and D-18V, some of which have been in my hands for prolonged periods of time as I did work on them. I've played numerous D-18 Authentics. All of these have been in the context of being played A/B with my personal Yardstick of a guitar I've had for 42 years and am intimately familiar with. So even if I haven't A/B/C/D/E'd a vintage D-18, modern D-18, D-18V, D-18GE and D-18 Authentic, I'm still pretty comfortable talking about their relative merits & sounds comparatively without relying just on the memory of the guitar in the abstract.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion