The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-14-2018, 08:42 AM

Default Sennheiser e965

With the price drops on the Sennheiser mics, I decided to grab an e965. I have many dynamic mics and a few condenser mics, but I'm always on the hunt for the best possible live sound mic.

The following are mics I own:
Sennheiser e935, e945
Blue Encore 100, 200, 300
EV ND767A, Co9
Shure Beta 58a
Heil PR20
AKG D5 DLX
MXL 990/991
Audix OM2

Of all the other mics I own, the only thing that comes close to the e965 is rightfully the Blue Encore 300 (also a condenser mic).

On the e965...it is clear. It is crisp. It weighs enough to make you know it's not your regular every day mic. The 3 dipswitch adjustments all work and are effective for dialing in your needs (bass roll off, -10db pad, cardiod - supercardioid). It is the most natural reproduction of your voice as possible.

Many other mics, to my ears, sound like they have a predetermined eq curve that seems to enhance a particular frequency range. The e965, whether in cardioid or supercardioid mode, does not. It simply reproduces what it hears. Accurately. I have had no feedback issues yet. Handling noise, especially with the bass rolled off (on the dip switch) is not bad at all. Plosives are not a problem with the bass rolled off also.

The Blue Encore 300 actually has slightly more gain at identical levels on the mixer, but it seems to have a mid boost that the e965 does not.

The e965 is the clearest sounding mic I've ever used. At least I like to think so since I just spent $499.95 on it.

Our voices are instruments too, so for those who don't think we should spend $500 on a mic, why spend $400 on a Tonedexter, etc.

Pricey yes. Quality yes. It will be a staple in my live sound gig bag and utilized for recordings too.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:40 AM

Thanks for that review, YG. I've been on the fence as to whether or not to add this mic to my gear bag. I'm a big Sennheiser fan(e945's) but am a little shy about using a condenser live. All you ever read is how prone to feedback they are in live situations and placement is everything on stage. I guess I can always return it if it becomes a problem.
Thanks again for the review.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification