The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-04-2018, 06:02 PM

Default TC Play Acoustic

Too many options...
Can you just get a great vocal without harmony and a nice guitar setting...
How come they have to make it so complicated?

Does any know of a pedal for vocals and guitar...all-in-one that doesn't have so much stuff in it that I'll have to go to night classes?
Plug in Play...
Old 10-04-2018, 06:13 PM

Boss VE8... just sayin'
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 10-04-2018, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

I have read posts in several strings over the past 3 years by at least 4 - 8 other AGF members who made similar comments to the OP and then switched to the Boss VE-8 and "lived happily ever after" due to the relative intuitive user friendliness of the VE-8. I expect to buy the VE-8 for my wife.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:12 PM

I'm in my trial period, I might exchange for the Boss, I'll give a few more days
Old 10-04-2018, 07:19 PM

I like the Play Acoustic. I think the basic eq/compression is very helpful to the voice and the harmonies (judiciously used) are pretty effective. In fact, I have found if you record the harmonies, it is pretty difficult to tell that they are not human backup singers. The Pro Rez is fairly effective for the guiutar, but I zeroed it out after getting a Tonedexter which is much more effective. Play Acoustic has a learning curve for sure but it really works when it's dialed in IMHO.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 10-04-2018, 07:43 PM

Yes, I too bought the Boss VE8 and sold the TC.

The VE8 has all I need (simpleton!) on the front cover. All levels and stuff I use are set with actual knobs and buttons, but you can dive into a menu if you want.

I don’t use it a lot, but I have the harmony vocal set on what I call ‘Keef’.

BluesKing777.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:50 PM

Owning both. the Play acoustic has better vocal harmonies and sound, and the acoustic is good. On the Ve-8 the guitar sounds great and the vocal harmonies, are meh. You have to get real close to the mic for them to work and not so good sounding. The DI out of the play acoustic is silent and good, on the VE-8 the DI out is loud white noise. The play acoustic edges out the VE-8 for an all in one pedal. And the VE-8 does have the same learning curve for accessing the hidden controls.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
Too many options...
Can you just get a great vocal without harmony and a nice guitar setting...
How come they have to make it so complicated?

Does any know of a pedal for vocals and guitar...all-in-one that doesn't have so much stuff in it that I'll have to go to night classes?
Plug in Play...
You don't have to use harmonies with the Play Acoustic. Go into settings and adjust the mic for the tone you like; add a doubler for the vocal; maybe add a bit of reverb. You're done. It certainly has A LOT of options, but that doesn't mean you have to use them all.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:20 PM

I have a VE-8 coming and I'm still waffling. I'd read the pitch correction sounds better on the boss. Now I'm reading more nice things about the vocal half on the TC. Oh well. I'm not sure a looper is my thing, but I could see dragging my multitrack along instead.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:30 PM
Charter Member

You can make it as simple or as complicated as you like. I have owned both units and the TC walks all over the Boss imo.
Old 10-05-2018, 06:22 AM

Digging into the presets, using the setup on Pitch correction 14 I see you can adjust or turn off alot...
I'm still learning lol
I do get a high freq that's not too nice
Old 10-05-2018, 08:36 AM

The TC Play Acoustic is a great unit in my opinion. There are others on the market that do similar things. But, several of my fellow singers and I agree that TC Helicon makes the best sounding vocal gear. The company has been devoted to singers for many years. As such, they really know vocal processing better than the guitar effects companies. So, what you're paying for is software and processing experience.

The guitar processing is also quite good in my estimation. Arguably, some people think the guitar effects company Boss does a better job with the guitar side of their unit. I'll leave that to others to comment on.

The downside to this TC Helicon unit is the menu driven interface. Some people struggle with the learning curve. That said, fewer physical controls also make this unit lighter and smaller, so there is a trade off.

If you're mostly worried about guitar, and you prefer physical controls, the Boss VE-8 is probably a better choice. If you primarily care about the clarity of vocals (I do), then you should try and invest the time to learn to use the Play Acoustic.
Old 10-05-2018, 10:02 AM

I bought a Play Acoustic last spring. I used it on a gig the day after I bought it. I just used one of the preset programs after toning down the reverb. It seemed that they were pretty heavy on reverb on many of the settings. What this thing did for my vocals was truly amazing! There was no way I could get that same vocal quality and clarity with just eq and compression on my board. After experimenting, I got three programs that I gig with. I got a guitar sound, that while not perfectly reproduced natural acoustic, sounds great and cuts through the mix. It's sort of a signature sound. I use the Corona Chorus on one program to emulate a 12 string sound. It has so many feature and possibilities. I will never use all of the features but the possibilities are endless. I can leave my mixer home and run it into my QSC K10.2 speakers and sound great for solo gigs. It makes my Fishman 330 sound fantastic. Honestly this thing is the best addition to my rig that I have ever acquired. I won't leave home without it and if it was damaged or stolen I would immediately replace it!
Old 10-05-2018, 10:06 PM

I sold my Play Acoustic and bought the Boss VE-8. WAY easier to use...trust me on that! Much easier to make changes on the fly. Love the large foot switches also.

I would suggest buying one online from a source that has a liberal return policy, and send it back if you hate it. But you won't
1980 Martin D41
2001 Gibson J-150
2021 Gibson J-150 Noel Gallagher
Old 10-06-2018, 01:40 AM

Some people are over exaggerating the learning curve on the PA - it's really not that difficult at all.

Having tried and evaluated both units, I now use the PA. The overall sound quality of the PA is WAY ahead of the Boss unit.
Dazzo 70's & SunnAudio Stage DI

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification