The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-09-2018, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
SGs are great guitars and weigh considerable less then a Les Paul, less expensive too. Try one next time you're at the shop for both the tone and the feel. You can also get SGs with P90s. I have a '50s SG Tribute that has P90s and it was one of the less expensive SGs out there (satin top).
I will do that, and will try to hear both HB and P90 versions - it may be that the HBs hit me differently via the SG. I know Bob likes his w/ the '57 classics. Thanks
Old 10-10-2018, 02:10 PM

Here's another comparo - Epi Alnico Pro (presumed, based on date and newness of guitar to tester) v. '57 classic in the neck. To me, the '57 sounds clearer and more pronounced, while the Epi seemed quieter, more muddied (except for a couple of the clean single note stuff, which sounded pretty good). Tester described the '57 as more "mellow."

Old 10-10-2018, 05:22 PM

The 57' sounded drastically better to me in every scenario - both clean and distorted.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 10-11-2018, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
Here's another comparo - Epi Alnico Pro (presumed, based on date and newness of guitar to tester) v. '57 classic in the neck. To me, the '57 sounds clearer and more pronounced, while the Epi seemed quieter, more muddied (except for a couple of the clean single note stuff, which sounded pretty good). Tester described the '57 as more "mellow."

Lo fi internet audio comparisons like this don’t indicate touch responsiveness and feel if one is behind the guitar. I’ll go with Coupland’s assessment of the Gib being more mellow, and add more midrange compressed, bell like frequency response, smoother, more sophisticated, but the Epi takes no back seat for brightness or clarity. The Gib didn’t distort too well, and it shouldn’t anyway. I miss the sparkling Fender clean of the other comparison given on this thread. Coupland’s amplification is a tad synthetic, but it’s clear.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:24 AM

I have Throbak PAFs in my SG, and the PRS Gold Top McCarty has Seymour Duncan Soap Bar P90s.
The bridge pickup in the McCarty gets the same kind of tone I had in my ‘59 Les Paul Special. It has a bit of grind that I love.
The SG stays clean and clear. The vintage TTop PAFs in my Melody Maker break up sooner than the Throbaks.

Go figure.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Lo fi internet audio comparisons like this don’t indicate touch responsiveness and feel if one is behind the guitar. I’ll go with Coupland’s assessment of the Gib being more mellow, and add more midrange compressed, bell like frequency response, smoother, more sophisticated, but the Epi takes no back seat for brightness or clarity. The Gib didn’t distort too well, and it shouldn’t anyway. I miss the sparkling Fender clean of the other comparison given on this thread. Coupland’s amplification is a tad synthetic, but it’s clear.
Interesting - and you're right about Coupland's amplification - he uses a box for that. If it matters, the Epi's got the V and the Gib has the II. Without completely understanding the impact of Lo Fi recording on the result, the Epi chords with or without distortion just didn't seem as clearly articulated, to me. A bit muffled, but the individual note picking did seem nice/clear.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
There's a lot of conflicting info from too many sources, including from Epi's own marketing department - don't get me started on "Dr. Epiphone's" videos.

Every board has "that" guy (usually) who seems to be the guru, and LtKojak is that guy on the Seymour Duncan board. He dissects pickups and mixes/matches components, switches magnets, even rewinds them to achieve different results, all for fun and he seems quite knowledgeable. He knows Epiphones, owns a 339 Pro w/ACPs that he's torn down and changed, and he swears the magnets in those pickups are IIs, not Vs. I give up on knowing that particular truth. Still enjoying the ride. Thanks for the input.
It follows that he can use different component sets to achieve similar outcomes too.
Old 11-01-2018, 12:13 PM

I love P90's and Humbuckers, it just depends on the sound goals I am looking for. P90s can sound great clean, but I love the way they get dirty, much more than strat or tele style single coils. For metal, I don't think you can beat a good Humbucker though. (I also like the 57 Classic)
Old 11-01-2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP Tyler View Post
I love P90's and Humbuckers, it just depends on the sound goals I am looking for. P90s can sound great clean, but I love the way they get dirty, much more than strat or tele style single coils. For metal, I don't think you can beat a good Humbucker though. (I also like the 57 Classic)
I agree, and think I just may be more of a p90 guy, though I also like the relative clarity of the 57 classic. If you want to hear some dirty tele work done well, consider Status Quo - they sound good even with a few years on them.

Rick Parfitt was a rhythm machine, rip.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:39 PM

I read a couple of posts from this thread yesterday and then I had to plug in my Gibson Les Paul Tribute gold top with the P90s ... sweet.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:08 AM

I'm a fan of P-90's. Some humbuckers are too muddy for me. Has anyone replaced their P-90-'s with mini-humbuckers? Are they generally a easy fit?
Old 11-05-2018, 08:08 AM

I definitely endorse picking a Gretsch up and playing if you like humbuckers with clarity. Love the unique sound of my chambered Gretsch with those pickups. It’s a large sound!

I liked the Duncan Pearly Gates bridge and 59 neck setup I had in an Indonesian Tele HH. Kind of want to hear them in a Les Paul. The PG was not subtle!

Determining I need a few more musical paint brushes. My Guild has a decidedly 70’s humbucker sound. I think I “need” a Les Paul, and every time I hear a 339 with P90s I want one!

Gretsch 6228FM
Fender Troy Van Leeuwen Jazzmaster
Michael Tuttle T style
Old 11-05-2018, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

I'm not a huge fan of humbuckers. I have five P90 equiped guitars and one telecaster with Nocaster single coil pickups. No humbuckers to be seen in my guitars at this point. Gretsch filtertrons are pretty good, but in the end I realized that P90s we're the tone I crave.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars