The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-23-2018, 12:21 PM

some people believe the resonance and some don't. as with everything on the agf, it is all subjective. try the different guitars you presently own.

i play my electrics acoustically until the amp warms up anyway.

if i'm looking to buy, i'll play the guitar(s) acoustically first just to see how they sound but i don't place my desire based upon that alone. it depends upon how it feels in your hands as well as thru an amp. note that some feel the amp is 40% of the sound.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 09-24-2018, 08:29 PM

I bought an affinity Tele, $250 at L&M.

I challenge anyone to tell the difference in feel or tone from the $2K model.

D.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:02 PM

The Affinity can be a lot of fun. Had one in sunburst with maple board, instant liking of neck despite the slightly more narrow than standard nut, but deep carve profile. Very hot flat ceramic pickups good for hard rock, after about one month electric ground or shielding needed repair, then traded away for something else.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:05 PM

Lot of love for the Bajas everywhere I read. But I don't care for that four position switch.

To me, a Tele has a three position switch. Just like it only has two pickups. And neither of them are humbuckers. Adding those kinds of options to a Telecaster just strikes me as "wrong." The point of them is their basic, strings on a plank simplicity, IMO.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:04 PM

There are certainly preferences for Telecasters and I’m one for the original design but with three way switch and it has to be white or off white pickguard so I’m stuck back for the 1960s designs. As far as neck and body resonance, my best Tele right now is a Joe Trohman Tele 1972 Deluxe throwback (heresy) with flat radius fretboard and generous string spacing - 1 11/16” nut, 2 3/16” at bridge good for fingerpicking.

Last edited by Jaden; 09-26-2018 at 07:32 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
There are certainly preferences for Telecasters and I’m one for the original design but with three way switch and it has to be white or off white pickguard so I’m stuck back for the 1960s designs. As far as neck and body resonance, my best Tele right now is a Joe Trohman Tele 1972 Deluxe throwback (heresy) with flat radius neck and wide string spacing - 1 3/4” nut, 2 1/4” at bridge good for fingerpicking (online specs for this now discontinued model is in error).
here is my 58 american vintage tele in aged white.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 09-25-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
here is my 58 american vintage tele in aged white.

play music!

Perfection. Back in ‘52 I think it was the first model electric guitar without neck binding; simple construction and looks, now classic.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Perfection. Back in ‘52 I think it was the first model electric guitar without neck binding; simple construction and looks, now classic.
Never tire of looking at Telecasters like yours.

My Telecaster has an alder body which makes it substantially heavier than yours I'm guessing.

Beautiful!
Old 09-25-2018, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel and wood View Post
Never tire of looking at Telecasters like yours.

My Telecaster has an alder body which makes it substantially heavier than yours I'm guessing.

Beautiful!
if you are talking about mine, it is swamp ash with a thin nitro finish.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 09-25-2018, 07:12 PM

Quote:
The Affinity can be a lot of fun. Had one in sunburst with maple board, instant liking of neck despite the slightly more narrow than standard nut, but deep carve profile. Very hot flat ceramic pickups good for hard rock, after about one month electric ground or shielding needed repair, then traded away for something else.
The neck is old school C shape. The newer ones have deep C or D...

So the neck for the affinity is the narrowest you can get now. That is why I bought it tbh.

The pickups are awesome for country twang...real Duane Eddy too.

Der Der Der...bottom end...Boom , think George Jones.

You can also pull off your Roy Buchanan riffs...
Old 09-25-2018, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
The neck is old school C shape. The newer ones have deep C or D...

So the neck for the affinity is the narrowest you can get now. That is why I bought it tbh.

The pickups are awesome for country twang...real Duane Eddy too.

Der Der Der...bottom end...Boom , think George Jones.

You can also pull off your Roy Buchanan riffs...
Yes, and the body is thinner too, which can be a good thing. The Tele has a small cavity for the electronics, so if someone is fighting dead weight wood that’s not particularly resonant, that’s not too good. Large pickguard & cavity can be a benefit for tone on other solid body guitars.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
if you are talking about mine, it is swamp ash with a thin nitro finish.

play music!
Yep!

Could see that yours is swamp ash which is substantially lighter than my alder Telecaster.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:48 AM

I recently swapped my Kenny Hill New World Classical Guitar for a friend’s B Bender Tele for an extended period of time. He hadn’t played it in ages and the frets were green with collected shmutz. It took over an hour to get it off using 0000 steel wool and my thumbnail to loosen the crud.

After I put strings on I noticed the neck needs a truss rod adjustment. Plugging it in to my Victoria Tweed Deluxe for band practice, I got the classic Tele Twang, only to discover the nut slot for the high E was shallow as the string kept popping out.

The band loved the tone, but I put it down and switched to the Brondel Strat with a Tele pickup and bridge frame assembly. It was close, but no cigar.

Tele is the way to go.
Old 09-27-2018, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Sarad View Post
I recently swapped my Kenny Hill New World Classical Guitar for a friend’s B Bender Tele for an extended period of time. He hadn’t played it in ages and the frets were green with collected shmutz. It took over an hour to get it off using 0000 steel wool and my thumbnail to loosen the crud.

After I put strings on I noticed the neck needs a truss rod adjustment. Plugging it in to my Victoria Tweed Deluxe for band practice, I got the classic Tele Twang, only to discover the nut slot for the high E was shallow as the string kept popping out.

The band loved the tone, but I put it down and switched to the Brondel Strat with a Tele pickup and bridge frame assembly. It was close, but no cigar.

Tele is the way to go.
Great post & info. Yikes, inevitably I have a soft spot for a good stratocaster with previous talk of large pickguard etc., but sounds like you have the right combo/ amp for the Tele.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:46 PM

You’re right about the amp. Turned up to 2.5 or 3, it makes a bold statement.

I have an old Fender Tweed Deluxe from the ‘58-‘60 period. It’s at the other house where I play in the Blues band. I have used the Brondel, SG with Throbaks, PRS Gold Top Double Cut with Soap Bars, a ‘58 3/4 size Les Paul Jr., and most recently my Melody Maker I bought in High School in 1972. Laurent Brondel refurbished it and discovered it has T-Top PAFs. My brother told me to put the others away, that the Melody Maker was the best sounding of them all.

I will work on the Tele tomorrow. First is changing from 009 to 010 or 011 on the high E to see if it will stay in the slot. My friend who works at National on SLO offered some other tips before I go for a new nut.

We have a gig in a week, and I have to have the Tele!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars