The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-13-2018, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh View Post
I go guitar into quantum blender into dtar solstice into schertler unico
Why not directly into Solctice avoiding Quantum? What in Trinity prevents that?
Old 10-14-2018, 10:52 PM

From k&k:
“The microphone capsules that are used in our Trinity microphones are rated to operate (by the manufacturer) from 3 to 10 volts. Operation at voltages above 10 volts can result in permanent damage to the microphone. The DTAR Solstice, among many other preamps, applies a voltage in excess of this value and therefor puts the microphone outside of it's design specifications. We experienced many failures in the past due to this application of excess voltage by the use of preamps other then our own products. In order to protect the microphone a small protection device is now installed in the microphone that prevents the applied voltage from exceeding this maximum value. When a voltage above this value is applied the microphone is protected by shorting the output to ground resulting in no output signal. Using the microphone on a voltage exceeding 10 volts voids the warranty and may result in damage to the microphone, this is clearly stated on our website and microphone literature.”

The dtar puts out I think 18 volts and the new mic doesn’t work with it so I run the guitar straight into the k&k quantum blender and then use a trs patch cord
Into the dtar which is imho a superior equalizing pre amp
Old 10-14-2018, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh View Post
From k&k:
“In order to protect the microphone a small protection device is now installed in the microphone that prevents the applied voltage from exceeding this maximum value.”

Got it, thanks a lot!
Old 10-15-2018, 03:36 PM

Uuh, why do they do that ? I used the K&K trinity system for years (old one) and still have some mics left. No doubt the best system for the money. I used it with the K&K preamp and bought a Grace Felix two years ago. I only use the Felix now. It's an awesome piece of gear. I use it on guitars, mandolin, Weissenborn, Dobro, banjo and bouzouki.
I own a Pendulum SPS-1 for 12 years now. It sounds a bit more direct compared to the Felix, but you need an extra solo boost pedal.
If you want an upgrade to the Trinity system, use a Dazzo pickup and a DPA 4061 mic. You can run the DPA mic without having the problems of burning it (like the new K&K mics).

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 10-15-2018, 07:01 PM

What about the Tonedexter? I demoed it once and it works great with K&K. I've got an 8 year old K&K Trinity in my Wingert F, and I'm considering just removing the mic altogether for simplicity and getting a Tonedexter. I've never loved the preamp that came with it for the same reasons as were mentioned earlier. The mic does add some dimension, but in a live setting I thought it was too feedback prone anyway, even on a solo gig. I know there are other topics on this, but I thought I'd throw this into the mix.

Svea

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification