The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-16-2018, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
That old instructor was on to something, but I'm highly surprised he apparently had never come across classical players who use a foot stool for exactly that purpose...?

In his flatpicking guitar school, Bryan Sutton, too says that playing with the neck angled upwards is the ideal position in terms of being relaxed, but his answer is that "in traditional music, it's simply not how it's done," and his teachings are based on that premise, i.e. how to play with the neck angled upward only slightly and still have good technique and be relaxed.

I'd be curious to see in what way the guitar shoe differs from using a foot stool.

From personal experience, a footstool with a raised leg can put stress on your spine. The Guitar Shoe and other similar supports allow for the guitar to be angled with both feet flat on the floor which can be less stressful and put less torque on the spine, back and hips.

Best,
Jayne
Old 10-16-2018, 05:20 PM

Hi Brent:

I totally get the advantages of your creation! I would love to buy one from you, but I can't afford $500. So I'll use an $8 strap even though the Guitar Shoe looks to be a superior tool for the job.

I request that you have your invention manufactured using less expensive material and process. I do appreciate the fine craftsmanship that your handmade Guitar Shoes exhibit, however I'm 100% about function, 0% about appearances.

I'll be watching you progress. Best of luck to you.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion