The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-14-2018, 07:41 PM

Default Please school me on microphones

Hey everyone, just looking for suggestions on microphones to be used with my Boss Acoustic Singer Pro.
I've got previous experience with the Shure SM58, pretty much an industry mainstay, but also one in a higher price range that will be stretching the budget.
Do you have any suggestions for good quality, sturdy, and effective mics?
Also, what's the difference between Dynamic and Condensor mics? Is one better than the other for performing indoors or outdoors etc when busking?
Is it better to have an on/off switch, or is this just something else to go wrong down the track?

Thanks in advance
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 10-14-2018, 08:30 PM

Mics are pretty much subjective. Everyone's ear is different. In my opinion the old SM 58 is hard to beat, it sounds great, is nearly bulletproof, and cheap. A lot of folks are into Sennheisers these days and they are priced the same as the 58 right now. These are dynamic mics. Most performers choose dynamics. A few opt for the more expensive and more delicate condenser mics. They are more sensitive and deliver nearly every nuance it picks up. They require phantom power and are most often used for recording. Both Dynamic and Condenser mics are available in cardiod and super cardiod versions. That refers to the pattern of sound rejection from sources around the performer. Super cardiod mics reject sound that isn't straight into it. Cardiods let in sound a little further off axis, but both reject sound from the sides for a cleaner sound. The SM 58 is a cardiod and works great for most performers. If you play guitar or bass and move a lot a cardiod is more forgiving and will still hear you if you move off axis a bit. A super cardiod might reject your voice if you move too far off axis.

You can spend a lot of money on a high quality condenser mic, but why do that if you just plan on using it with your Boss amp. These days $99.00 will buy you a nice mic for you to use with your amp.

When I play patio gigs where I might get some wind noise I use a foam wind screen over the front of my mics. They stop the "whoosh" sound from being picked up if you play outside.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:05 PM
Charter Member

If all you need is a mic for singing or playing through the Boss acoustic pro, then why not stick with the SM58. It’s an industry standard for a reason.

If you had other applications in mind, such as recording, Sure you can spend loads of money on a mic (and Pre amp). But for the Boss, it’s not needed, IMHO

In regards to Dynamic vs condenser
They both pick up sound and convert it into an electrical signal, but how they do it is different.
Which one to use depends on what your source is and the environment.

Google the question and you will find some good info
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

Last edited by Mbroady; 10-14-2018 at 09:21 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:08 PM

In addition to the Shures, I have experience with Audix and Sennheiser, and prefer the sound of either one to the Shure. I picked the Senneheiser 945 as it went with my voice. For most people that might not work.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitaurman View Post
Mics are pretty much subjective. Everyone's ear is different. In my opinion the old SM 58 is hard to beat, it sounds great, is nearly bulletproof, and cheap. A lot of folks are into Sennheisers these days and they are priced the same as the 58 right now. These are dynamic mics. Most performers choose dynamics. A few opt for the more expensive and more delicate condenser mics. They are more sensitive and deliver nearly every nuance it picks up. They require phantom power and are most often used for recording. Both Dynamic and Condenser mics are available in cardiod and super cardiod versions. That refers to the pattern of sound rejection from sources around the performer. Super cardiod mics reject sound that isn't straight into it. Cardiods let in sound a little further off axis, but both reject sound from the sides for a cleaner sound. The SM 58 is a cardiod and works great for most performers. If you play guitar or bass and move a lot a cardiod is more forgiving and will still hear you if you move off axis a bit. A super cardiod might reject your voice if you move too far off axis.

You can spend a lot of money on a high quality condenser mic, but why do that if you just plan on using it with your Boss amp. These days $99.00 will buy you a nice mic for you to use with your amp.

When I play patio gigs where I might get some wind noise I use a foam wind screen over the front of my mics. They stop the "whoosh" sound from being picked up if you play outside.
Excellent response, thanks for all of that. Looks like a dynamic cardiod is what I'm chasing, appreciate the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
If all you need is a mic for singing or playing through the Boss acoustic pro, then why not stick with the SM58. It’s an industry standard for a reason.

If you had other applications in mind, such as recording, Sure you can spend loads of money on a mic (and Pre amp). But for the Boss, it’s not needed, IMHO

In regards to Dynamic vs condenser
They both pick up sound and convert it into an electrical signal, but how they do it is different.
Which one to use depends on what your source is and the environment.

Google the question and you will find some good info
I should have stipulated that I don't personally own a microphone, but the one I've borrowed in the past was an SM58, hence my experience with them. I'm hoping this inquiry will either confirm that it is still the go to mic to be used, or there is a better alternative out there.
I did a course at college that talked about the differences between all of this stuff, but it was 26yrs ago, and I wasn't sure what the market currently rates as being the right mic for the job.
Besides that, googling the answer is an option, but this site provides excellent responses from those who have actually used the equipment, something that a technical spec sheet can't provide.
Thanks for your input though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
In addition to the Shures, I have experience with Audix and Sennheiser, and prefer the sound of either one to the Shure. I picked the Senneheiser 945 as it went with my voice. For most people that might not work.
Thanks for that, I'll check out both models!
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 10-14-2018, 09:50 PM

While I am another advocate and user of SM58's, I also have some Nady SP5 microphones for studio "spares" that are much cheaper and have worked extremely well when called upon. $20 each.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:15 PM

I use the SM87A and absolutely love it. However, it's a condenser mic so it's not perfect for every situation. On the rare occasions when I need more feedback rejection, my Beta 58 that I've had since the 90s gets the nod.

You mention 2 key things: durability and busking. Get a 58.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

I've long been a fan of the SM 58 as well. You can't beat a mic in that price range that works and with which you could drive nails and it would still function. I've more recently switched over to the Sennheiser e835 and most recently, due to a price drop, picked up a Sennheiser e945. I really like the sound of the e945 at home, but time will tell after I use it for gigs this week!
Old 10-15-2018, 10:25 AM

I use a heil Pr-35 . it's a cardioid dynamic.
I tried several condensers over the years.
But although they sound good they are prone
to feed back for no particular reason at any
given point in time. Which makes them interesting
at a gig.

https://heilsound.com/products/pr-35/
Old 10-15-2018, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

SM 58s have been around for decades for a reason. So have SM 57s. They work. I have an Audix DM 5 I like the sound of better, but it is designed for feedback resistance and you have to be right on it.

I just fell victim to the Sennheiser deals being offered and bought an e 835. First impressions are that it is more detailed than an SM 58. That could be good or bad, but you can sing somewhat off axis with the e 835 like you can with the SM58.

If there were one right answer, there would not be dozens of mics in the marketplace. If I were trying to get a modest home studio up and running with one mic it would be an SM 57.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 10-15-2018, 02:04 PM

Blue Encore mics deserve a look. The 100 is built like a tank. Very rugged and sounds really good. For a "cheap" mic, expect to pay $60-$200. In that price range, you cannot go wrong with the SM58, Beta58a, Sennheiser e935, e835, e945, Blue Encore 100, EV ND767, Heil PR20 or PR22. My favorite bang for the buck mic is the EV Co9 that Guitar Center blows out at $29. It's a solid mic at $69.

For an upper level mic you may want to get into a studio type mic. Shure SM7b seems to be popular. That one is a dynamic mic. For recording, I like how the condenser mics pick up all the subtle things missed with most dynamic mics.

Last edited by YamahaGuy; 10-15-2018 at 02:09 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:27 PM

I agree with the Shure folks on here. I have a Beta 57 for my instruments and an SM58 vocal mic. I use the Beta 57 for solo or duo or sometimes trio gigs (if no one else is plugged in) and always for bluegrass gigs* unless there's a condenser. I will use the pickup for larger group gigs, mainly for self-defense. Even a good pickup will never sound (to me) as good as a mic, even an inexpensive one like an SM57, but sometimes you gotta do what you've gotta do.

*Bluegrass seems to be the one genre where pickups in acoustic instruments are still frowned upon. Once in a while a bass will have one, but that's about it.
There are newgrass groups who use pickups and even sometimes drummers, but they're the exception to the rule at most bluegrass venues.
-1950 Gibson LG1
-1958 Goya M-26
-Various banjos, mandolins, dulcimers, ukuleles, Autoharps, mouth harps. . .
Old 10-15-2018, 04:14 PM

With the great sale on Sennheiser mics, I don't think you can go wrong with an e935 or e945. I use the 935 when playing solo, and the 945 when playing with a band (for better feedback rejection). I do have an Shure SM57, as many folks have commented, but have come to find out that the Sennheisers suit my voice better and seem to require less EQ.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:55 PM

I use either an Audix OM3 or an OM5. As compared to an SM58 or Beta 58, they are a tiny bit more directional, a little clearer, and have a little less low midrange mud. The OM3 and OM5 are close enough in sound that I really can’t tell them apart.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:58 PM
Charter Member

A very important issue for live use is the difference between cardioid and hyper cardioid. With a cardioid, like the SM 58 and Sennheiser e935, you can move around a bit and still be heard, and you can share one for backup vocals and the like. For this flexibility, you loose some feedback rejection.

The hyper cardioid has almost no off axis pickup, so you need to be right in front. I find this hard if I'm playing and singing at the same time. But the feedback rejection is greater.

The mic I like best is my Audix OM5, witch you have to be both in front of and right close to. That can be a pain.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification