The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-14-2018, 05:57 PM

Default Acoustic tone from a Mesa TransAtlantic?

I was testing some new gear I bought here on the forum. I used my Mesa TransAtlantic 30 combo, using the clean green channel which is essentially a Vox AC30TB. Super chimey and clean, of course.

I used my custom OM made for me by Scott McNeill, which has an ordinary LR Baggs element piezo transducer under the bridge. I tried my new Boss AD2 to add some reverb and body resonance, then into my new Mesa Rosette Acoustic Preamp/DI. Both ambience and resonance were up full, and the Rosette set flat across the eq. I slowly turned up the gain and the A string started to feedback, so I rotated the Notch filter up to the 9:30 position and the feedback stopped.

So the new pedals were doing exactly what they are supposed to do. What surprised me was how bloody great the acoustic tone was through that rock guitar amp with one 12” speaker. The TA30 has three power ranges: 30w class A, 40w Class AB, and 15w Class A, the latter of which I used in my small room testing and it got plenty loud!

The beauty of all this is the simplicity of using one combo amp for both electric and acoustic instruments using a simple AB box. Two acoustic processors on one side, and a few electric guitar pedals for the Strat. No more running the acoustic through the PA and hoping the soundman du jour gets it right.

I just have remember to NEVER push the amp channel to the smokin’-hot red overdrive side while playing my acoustic, unless I want to get instant howling club-clearing feedback.

Last edited by David MacNeill; 10-14-2018 at 06:10 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:11 PM

I have a couple Mesa Rosette amps, so I use those with my acoustics. I have plugged a couple acoustics into one of my Mark V's though, and like your experience, it sounds surprisingly good. I never thought of actually using it instead of an acoustic amp though.

Mesa's clean channels are great, so it's not too surprising that it works well for acoustic. And I'm a pretty big guy, but given the choice I'd much rather carry my Rosette around. These Mark V's get heavy in a hurry. I don't play much electric though, so there's not often a need for me to lift all that weight.

It sounds like the TA30 might be a nice solution for you. If you ever need the acoustic to be direct to the PA it can always be taken from your Rosette pedal, so I don't really see a disadvantage to this setup.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:52 AM

The real test is, as always, at stage volume. I will try this rig at rehearsal next week and see what folks think about it, then report back here.

And yes, I could use the DI out from the Rosette if needed at a larger venue, since I am using the Rosette’s preamp output to the TA30.

Those Rosette amps sure look good though. I keep trying to do more with less gear, so if I can get double duty from the Mesa I already have, that’s better on my wallet and my back.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification