The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-09-2018, 09:54 PM

Well, tonight it got even worse.
My wife walked out on me and our teen son.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanEagle View Post
Well, tonight it got even worse.
My wife walked out on me and our teen son.
My heart goes out to you.

And:

"There lived an old farmer who had worked in his fields for many, many years. One day, his horse bolted away. His neighbors dropped in to commiserate with him. “What awful luck,” they tut-tutted sympathetically, to which the farmer only replied, “We’ll see.”

Next morning, to everyone’s surprise, the horse returned, bringing with it three other wild horses. “How amazing is that!” they exclaimed in excitement. The old man replied, “We’ll see.”

A day later, the farmer’s son tried to mount one of the wild horses. He was thrown on the ground and broke his leg. Once more, the neighbors came by to express their sympathies for this stroke of bad luck. “We’ll see,” said the farmer politely.

The next day, the village had some visitors – military officers who had come with the purpose of drafting young men into the army. They passed over the farmer’s son, thanks to his broken leg. The neighbors patted the farmer on his back – how lucky he was to not have his son join the army! “We’ll see,” was all that the farmer said."
Old 10-10-2018, 03:27 PM
Charter Member

I’m sorry, Eagle.

I hope you find some peace. Someday, this will all be in your rear-view mirror.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 10-11-2018, 11:35 AM

Eagle:

I feel for you. I hope and pray things will turn around for you soon. Hang in there, my friend.

Luke
Old 10-11-2018, 11:49 AM

Thank you all for the well wishes.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Owen View Post
Someday, this will all be in your rear-view mirror.
Yep, AE... and that day gets closer and closer. Keep hangin'...
Old 10-11-2018, 11:59 AM

Mr. Eagle, I empathize and sympathize with you so much.

I don't wish to step on your thread by listing the long catalog of troubles I've had the past few years, but to summarize: my family lost everything we owned in a flood, I have had health issues that necessitated multiple serious foot surgeries, have RA and tremors that have robbed me of much of my playing abilities, I too have lost jobs, gone broke and after 21 years my wife up and left me for an old flame of hers from her childhood with whom she had been carrying on an affair for I know not how long. She managed, before she left, to empty my bank account, take from me everything of any value I had and ruined my credit by taking out loans and credit cards in my name prior to our divorce.

I will either be paying for this forever or declaring bankruptcy.

At any rate, as dismal as all that has been, I have landed on my feet. I met an amazing, loving, loyal, gorgeous and supportive woman...we were literally made for each other. I have moved to a nice place in a cool town (narrowly escaping the recent destruction wrought by Hurricane Mike in Bay County, Florida, which is where I moved here from only weeks ago) I am playing guitar again (not gigging right now, but hope to) and have multiple job offers with more interviews lined up.

Everyone's story and situation is different, of course, but if I could bounce back and find more happiness than I've ever known, I trust it can happen for anyone.

If I may, I recommend you try to remain as positive as possible. If you aren't a praying man, perhaps try some meditation. Exercise is not only good for your body in every respect, but is a great stress reliever. Music--playing and listening both--helped me in very significant ways. Stay close to family and friends. Make new friends. Involve yourself in the community or in new hobbies. Be strong. Bloody but unbowed. You will make it through and may well find, as I did, that your travails right now are paving the way for something better than you've ever had.

Most importantly, please remember: happiness comes FROM you; not TO you.

Keep us posted. You are in my thoughts and I am sending up prayers for you and sending mojo your way.

- John Shedd
Old 10-13-2018, 08:50 AM

Sorry to hear that. I hope that you've changed the locks, canceled all the credit cards, talked to lawyer to put a freeze on any joint assets, removed all reminders of the wayward wife in what is essentially your house alone and are now working on keeping yourself busy and not crying in a bottle. Your kid needs you. Going through adversity sucks, but that's how we grow as human beings.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Hi AE,

I am so sorry that you are going through such a hard time. Hang in there and look for that doorway into the next phase of your life. You'll find it; do not despair. Things always look better tomorrow.

Let us know how you are doing.

- Glenn
Old 10-13-2018, 05:25 PM

Thank you all again.
I’m barely keeping it together.
This has been, and so far continues to be, the worst year of my life.
I know I’ll survive, but man, the journey is rough.
Knowing that AGF members who don’t even know me care and are rooting for me really makes me feel good.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:30 PM

Hey AE,

I just stumbled on this thread. Sorry to hear that life is treating you so rough. Count me among the AGF members that is rooting for you to pull through and hoping life gets better for you soon.

Bill

McKnight SDG
Santa Cruz Skye 00
Santa Cruz 1929 00

Last edited by Mr.Bill101; 10-17-2018 at 11:56 AM.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:43 PM

Hey Eagle,
Don't sell your guitar, you know there is a blues song in all of this.
Keep your chin mate. Thers's always hope.
1995 Gibson J 35 Ltd No 7 of 250
1958 Gibson L48
1955 Gibson ES125
Old 10-17-2018, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldshot
Hey Eagle,
Don't sell your guitar, you know there is a blues song in all of this.
Keep your chin mate. Thers's always hope.
Actually, more like a cowboy song...

AE, hang in there. I've found that there's a rhyme and reason for almost everything, and however tough it is, you'll find resolution and peace.

It's kind of like driving cross country in the middle of the night. We all have a destination in mind, but we're traveling down a road that can be pretty dark. And you can only see a hundred feet away at any given point in time. Yet, we manage (mostly) to reach our destinations, and life can basically be the same way. If you hold strong to what you want or where you want to be, you'll eventually get there, even though the path may not be clear to you at this time.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:33 PM

Sorry to hear about this AE, not sure why I haven't seen this thread until now.
When I first saw the title, I was imagining a little bad luck, or a play on words etc. but this is certainly a flood of bad luck, and I really hope you get a break soon.
Maybe this song will help you in the right direction, certainly not the same thing, but you never know, you just have to recognize the signs and grab them when they present themselves.
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 10-22-2018, 05:22 PM

This year has been a rough one for me too AE. Praying for you and yours.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic