The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 08-26-2020, 02:37 PM

Default Best COVID home concerts thread

2020: the year we all became couch guitarists. Though there's plenty of awful to go around, there've been two silver linings as a guitarist: more time to practice, and a ton of incredible content from artists stuck at home. I know a lot's been posted here and there, but wouldn't it be nice if it were all in one thread?

Here's one I like: The Tallest Man on Earth Livestreams on Youtube. As you might expect from him, very eclectic, very personable. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9E...UHNAkgaAraAPWA
Old 08-26-2020, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatfinger McGee View Post
Here's one I like: The Tallest Man on Earth Livestreams on Youtube. As you might expect from him, very eclectic, very personable.
I LOVE The Tallest Man On Earth. Thanks for this link. I've been meaning to watch this.

I'm recommending another Whiskey Sour Happy Hour performance by a bunch of Americana/Bluegrass greats. Best version of "The Weight" that I've heard.

Old 08-26-2020, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfm612 View Post
I'm recommending another Whiskey Sour Happy Hour performance by a bunch of Americana/Bluegrass greats. Best version of "The Weight" that I've heard.
That was incredible. Thanks so much for sharing.
Old 08-27-2020, 05:25 AM

Far too many to list here, but some of my favourites have been:

Daori Farrell on facebook live - Irish bouzouki player and a bit of a comedian
Dougie Maclean - search for butterstone studios on yt - 49 shows and counting!
Jorma live from Fur Peace Ranch on yt - #20 will be up this Saturday
Toby Walker on TwitchTV - mixture of concerts and lessons, for which he graciously provides tabs too

Other good ones I've watched have been facebook and yt streams from Susan Werner, Jonatha Brooke, Lucy Kaplansky, JP Cormier and Brooks Williams. ProgRock Dock has also been sharing lots of live progressive rock in watchable lower quality.
Old 08-27-2020, 05:32 AM
Charter Member

James McMurtry is a regular one I watch on Facebook. Terrific songwriter (Larry McMurtry's son), and great guitar player. Just him and whatever acoustic he happens to grab, at least it seems that way sometimes!
Old 08-27-2020, 07:10 AM

My absolute favorite is Jorma’s “Live from Fur Peace Ranch quarantine concerts”.

Every Saturday night at 8 PM EST free on YouTube. He has done 19 of them so far. Excellent production value and video stream quality.

It’s my new Saturday evening ritual – pull out the acoustic and jam along with Jorma.

As far as I know they keep all the old streams archived on YouTube so you can watch them anytime
Old 09-02-2020, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

One of the best I’ve seen yet....by Susan Werner....if you never heard of her before...get a load of this

Old 09-02-2020, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
One of the best I’ve seen yet....by Susan Werner....if you never heard of her before...get a load of this
Holy cow. What a talent. I *love* that kind of stuff from what I've heard in the 1st 3 songs. I see lost days ahead....
Old 09-02-2020, 08:31 PM

Wow, that's great stuff. Saturdays with Jorma, Sundays with Susie, perfect recipe. On that note - I've seen 4 of the Fur Peace Ranch concerts so far, and I have to agree, it's really good stuff.

This was in another thread as well, but deserves a mention - Mary Chapin Carpenter, 'Songs from Home' series.
Old 09-03-2020, 01:02 PM

Default Feels like home

Bravo, that was a great little homemade clip. That guitar and her voice were perfectly blended.
Old 09-03-2020, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
Holy cow. What a talent. I *love* that kind of stuff from what I've heard in the 1st 3 songs. I see lost days ahead....
Just check out her own yt channel - hours lost indeed. Some of her COVID shows have been excellent - especially the ones with Dar Williams and Jonatha Brooke. The videos she's uploaded with Keb' Mo are well worth watching too.
Old 09-03-2020, 08:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boombox View Post
Just check out her own yt channel - hours lost indeed. Some of her COVID shows have been excellent - especially the ones with Dar Williams and Jonatha Brooke. The videos she's uploaded with Keb' Mo are well worth watching too.
The mention of Keb' Mo reminded me of the live stream Opry YouTube concerts on Saturday nights. There have been some very good performances and worth checking out. Keb' did a great job when he was on a month or so ago.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN