The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-21-2010, 09:27 AM

Default action adjustment and truss rod

Hi all
This is my first post here, what a nice forum :-)

Just bought a Takamine G128S after reading the review in Acoustic Guitar.
I've ordered it online, so I did'nt get a chance to try it out first.
The action is far to high for my taste, so I'm going to trim down the bridge a little,-no problem. My concern is the trussrod. I've adjusted steelstring guitars before by first setting the correct neck relief and then adjusting the action.
From what I have read a classical nylon guitars is supposed to have a perfectly flat neck. Well, this guitar hasn't. It has a slight downward relief about the same size as my Martin steel string acoustic.
Should I first adjust the trussrod so the fingerboard is flat without any relief, before adjusting the action?- Any suggestions?
The bridge is made from bone, a nice surprise for such a cheap guitar :-)
(Bone bridges are hard to find here, so it would be nice to get the action right the first time)

Finn (Denmark)
Old 10-21-2010, 11:10 AM

you could adjust the negative relief out of the neck but it would mean more material would have to come off of the bridge saddle. I think I would do the saddle first to see if you can get the action to where you like it. john
Old 10-22-2010, 03:06 AM

Thanks. Just did what you suggested and it seems to work fine. The action is as I like it now. Nice guitar, but the sound in the upper register seems a little dull. I hope it gets better, as the the wood matures.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical