The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-01-2020, 06:20 AM
Charter Member

The video don't do it for me. A/B'd against a J-45 video on my Sony headphones. Sound to me is reminiscent of all the other Taylor's of the past. Don't get it.
Old 10-01-2020, 06:20 AM

I am not a Taylor guy, but that looks really, really smart. Bigger than a GS-Mini but still an inexpensive, credible Travel guitar and All-Rounder, kicked up a notch in terms of size and solid woods.

I have been noting the trend away from dreads and jumbos and more towards smaller, balanced guitars, with the pandemic only accelerating the trend. Taylor’s timing couldn’t be better and that sounds like a great guitar in the video.
Old 10-01-2020, 06:28 AM

It definitely isn't a J45, if it was remotely similar, its a miracle given the small body size. However it sounds different ffrom the Taylor tone. Fatterr and rounder bass and trebles unlike Vclass. It seems like a hybrid of maybe V and X . Wonder if they would change all models to transition to C Class now from the horrendous V class. With this new model, I'm guessing Grand Orchestra is slowly phasing out as Taylor transitions to intermediate-mid body sizes. Perhaps its about time to let big baby Taylor/academy series go as well given the similar body sizes. If so, it will be baby T- Gs mini - GT - GA etc
000JR-10E Shawn Mendes
Old 10-01-2020, 06:39 AM

https://vimeo.com/451594426/024b994781
Old 10-01-2020, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
at 51 minutes he talks specifically about getting the trees from the fella who's in charge of handling these trees in the city that they are getting for the Ash. Shortly before, Andy says it's NOTHING like swamp ash, which we've used for a 70 years to make telecasters and strats.

Last edited by gr81dorn; 10-01-2020 at 07:46 AM.
Old 10-01-2020, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr81dorn View Post
Yes, as a matter of fact. That is exactly what their write up says.
So it does, I didn't read the whole thing! Better than pulping the unwanted wood for paper I guess.
Old 10-01-2020, 07:41 AM

I get that they're an all-solid wood, American-made guitar. But they're not cheap. I like the Gibson sound and the shorter scale seems kind of intriguing, but I don't see how this is a "game changer." Not hating at all. I'm a Taylor owner, but this seems an awful lot like a "GS Mini-Plus."
Old 10-01-2020, 07:44 AM

I've been a Taylor business enthusiast and have come to admire Kirt and Bob and their tenacity in the startup years and through equipment innovations since the first Wood & Steel. The Ebony project stands out as a tremendous conservation effort. I've enjoyed Bob's informational videos over the years. But is it just me or does anyone else feel a little uncomfortable watching this video? While Andy may be innovative and creative, I just cannot get over a certain something that just turns me off. My last Taylor purchase was in 2000, since then Martin. Just can't put my finger on it.
Old 10-01-2020, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross748 View Post
I've been a Taylor business enthusiast and have come to admire Kirt and Bob and their tenacity in the startup years and through equipment innovations since the first Wood & Steel. The Ebony project stands out as a tremendous conservation effort. I've enjoyed Bob's informational videos over the years. But is it just me or does anyone else feel a little uncomfortable watching this video? While Andy may be innovative and creative, I just cannot get over a certain something that just turns me off. My last Taylor purchase was in 2000, since then Martin. Just can't put my finger on it.
I think it kinda stems from a level of hyperbole that is rampant in their marketing. I actually would really love if they were like "we made some really unique, minor changes that we think are both good for the industry, the environment and the player" instead of "gigantic, unprecedented game-changing innovation the likes we've never seen".

Andy is, from my personal experience meeting him a couple times, the exact guy you see in those videos. A genuine sweetheart of a guy, enthusiastic to no end, and really creative. I worked in the advertising industry for a long time and he reminds me so much of the kinda super right-brained people that are also technical geniuses so they can imagine something, but then actually execute it to excruciating accuracy and detail. I kinda believe he believes everything he says because he's immersed so deeply in it all.

All that said, I see this as the new model mostly as a relative to the GS mini in the way "big baby" is to the "baby taylor", just more expensive and legitimate. Might hit the sweet spot in size that some folks really want, but the whole "innovated from the ground up" marketing doesn't seem so true cuz it just looks like they did that thing that they do where they slightly scale the 14 size in one way or another to get another "grand _____"

Still wanna try one cuz it does sound comfy and fun to play.
Old 10-01-2020, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuman View Post
I get that they're an all-solid wood, American-made guitar. But they're not cheap. I like the Gibson sound and the shorter scale seems kind of intriguing, but I don't see how this is a "game changer." Not hating at all. I'm a Taylor owner, but this seems an awful lot like a "GS Mini-Plus."
I think the "GS Mini Plus" is an apt description. People who preferred a longer scale and all solid woods should be happy that this is an option over the GS Mini. This clearly, to my ears, has a beefier tone than the mini. I listened to the Empire Music video posted in another thread here and they mentioned the 1 and 23/32" nut width. That could appeal to both folks who like 1 and 11/16th" and 1 and 3/4". I have that nut measurement on my custom Kramer and it is perfect for my fingers. I find that since I have had the Kramer, switching between all three widths is much more seamless than before. I imagine that his guitar will find its fans among Taylor's customer base quite easily. As with most things, time will tell.

Best,
Jayne
Old 10-01-2020, 08:16 AM

I just watched the podcast and there's LOTS of things said in there, that we, as guitar players need to LISTEN to! Just because it's not an X-braced guitar, doesn't mean it doesn't work and work perfect. I'm in a LOVE/HATE relationship with my GS mini due to the scale length, cramped fretboard, but I can't afford or need a Bourgeois L-DBO as my practice guitar. This may be the one that makes me buy another Taylor.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 10-01-2020, 08:33 AM

I will reserve all judgements until I can pick one up in a store and play it for myself.
Old 10-01-2020, 09:18 AM

That urban ash grain/look is pretty unremarkable. $1599 for the e version, same as the former pricing for a 310ce. Less guitar, same price.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 10-01-2020, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

Where Andy lost me for good as a Taylor supporter - 11:13 in the Vimeo podcast where he throws some shade at station wagons!!! I resemble that remark!!!

Austin
Old 10-01-2020, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukematrix View Post
Where Andy lost me for good as a Taylor supporter - 11:13 in the Vimeo podcast where he throws some shade at station wagons!!! I resemble that remark!!!

Austin
I bet you resent it even more ;-)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion