The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-27-2015, 11:03 AM

Brett, very interesting rant, one that is very close to my own heart! And you managed to put it a lot more eloquently than I could ever put it so thank you I've mentioned somewhere on the forum and to some friends how it isn't 100% about the guitar, but also about the luthier or the experiences that come along with it. It isn't about a dream guitar because let's face it, we can never have THE GUITAR which does it all IMO. A guitar will excel in one aspect but lack in another for another guitar to fulfill its role and so on. So I've realised that to me, a dream luthier is perhaps more attainable than a dream guitar and I'm really glad that you have found yours! (For now ) So no judgement on my end, only praise that you've come to such a conclusion to make your decision not only easier, but "correct"! Looking forward to the rest of this novel and may you enjoy your Kostal(s) for many years to come

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 04-27-2015, 11:40 AM

Certainly buying a guitar at this level is a very personal thing. When I bought my Somogyi Mod D from Luthier's Collection I compared it to that very Kostal that Brett just purchased. For my particular needs the Somogyi won out. But as we can see from the vast collection of Brett's posts, a lot of thought can go into a purchase. So many small, and even tiny, factors are at play. Many take on a different meaning depending on the player. I can certainly understand why a personal relationship with the luthier would be a big consideration. It sounds to me as if Brett got exactly what he was looking for and, from this experience, I am more convinced than ever that auditioning multiple "already built" guitars is the best way to go if it's an option. Now Brett can settle in with his Kostal and not have any second thoughts.

Now, on to his Traugott build (is that still in the works?).

"Accept your lot, whatever it may be, in ultimate humbleness. Accept in humbleness what you are, not as grounds for regret but as a living challenge."
Old 04-27-2015, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

It's one thing to own a world-class guitar, but it's quite another to own a world-class guitar that your friend built.

Congrats, Mr. McLaughlin :-)
Old 04-27-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgennaro View Post
Certainly buying a guitar at this level is a very personal thing. When I bought my Somogyi Mod D from Luthier's Collection I compared it to that very Kostal that Brett just purchased. For my particular needs the Somogyi won out. But as we can see from the vast collection of Brett's posts, a lot of thought can go into a purchase. So many small, and even tiny, factors are at play. Many take on a different meaning depending on the player. I can certainly understand why a personal relationship with the luthier would be a big consideration. It sounds to me as if Brett got exactly what he was looking for and, from this experience, I am more convinced than ever that auditioning multiple "already built" guitars is the best way to go if it's an option. Now Brett can settle in with his Kostal and not have any second thoughts.
That's exactly it, Bill. And I can say that since both Somogyis have winged their way back to Luthier's Collection, I've not had a single regret. Not one. It's been remarkably enjoyable.

To repeat something you said and make a different point:

Quote:
I am more convinced than ever that auditioning multiple "already built" guitars is the best way to go if it's an option.
Boy has this been an eye-opener. I would really struggle to commission a guitar from someone from which I didn't already own a great guitar. I mean, even my Kim Walker build... makes me nervous.

Is that because I'd not get a great guitar? Not at all! The Somogyi was a great guitar! The Franklin was a great guitar! (I even still think about that Franklin... man.) But here I am with a Kostal. And with Jason's enormous closed book, there's simply no way I would have ended up with this guitar short of Mike Joyce having one on hand.

Now, I'll go one further than Bill... as much as I'd love to go out to the Luthier's Collection, it was well worth a fair bit of shipping to have these guitars in my environment, for a few days, overnight, with my buddy and my wife's discerning ears. So yes, to me, it really helped to have actual guitars that I could play, and actual choices to make.

It would be really hard for me to not do it that way again. Speaking of which...

Quote:
Now, on to his Traugott build (is that still in the works?).
It is right now, but boy, it's tough. I have a guitar that, I think, I love more than any other guitar I've ever owned... I really do think I'm happier with this guitar than I was with my Traugott R, at least partly because of the value proposition (Steve H can testify to this feeling!). Again, it's not a worry that I'd not get an incredible guitar. It's the sense of happiness and contentment I get because I actively chose and have no "I wonder if I had just..." or "Boy but how did that XXX sound comparatively..."

So I honestly don't know. Right now, I've not changed anything. But it stresses me out some, seriously.

-Brett

CF MARTIN 1930 OM-18 - Mahogany/Adirondack
GIBSON 2018 Memphis Limited 1963 ES-335 - Maple/Maple
MCCONNELL 2021 Electric Semi-Hollow - Wenge/Sitka

[SoundCloud | YouTube]

Last edited by bdm0509; 04-27-2015 at 12:20 PM.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdm0509 View Post
So I honestly don't know. Right now, I've not changed anything. But it stresses me out some, seriously.

-Brett
Sounds like it might be a good idea to just sit and play your Kostal for a while before making any big decisions like that. I have found that sitting and playing a new guitar for about a year or two really gives me the best chance to figure out what I'll be looking for in another guitar to compliment it. Anyway, I'm sure you'll keep me in the loop. It sure has been fun going through the process with you over the last month or so.

"Accept your lot, whatever it may be, in ultimate humbleness. Accept in humbleness what you are, not as grounds for regret but as a living challenge."
Old 04-27-2015, 01:50 PM

Just because...

[SoundCloud | YouTube]
Old 04-27-2015, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdm0509 View Post
Just because...
I love that wax seal he uses on his label. Super classy. I need to find a close-up pic of that..
Old 04-27-2015, 03:25 PM

Default NGD: Kostal OM (and why I chose it over two Somogyis)

Brett-

I decided to get in the Kostal queue, not just to have an extraordinary guitar built, but because from our first conversation- Jason put me at ease about the process. He creates a balance of complete professionalism and also of camaraderie- it doesn't feel so much like a business transaction, but rather like your becoming part of something that runs much deeper than just a one time purchase. There is something very substantial to the Kostal guitar family- something I can't quite find the words to describe- but glad I will be a part of it.

Last edited by fountainhead; 04-27-2015 at 03:45 PM.
Old 04-27-2015, 03:44 PM

I have read every word of this thread and have kept completely quiet, but I do have one question please....how long did it take you to decide your wife was the one for you ????
Old 04-27-2015, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I have read every word of this thread and have kept completely quiet, but I do have one question please....how long did it take you to decide your wife was the one for you ????
We dated three months before we got engaged :-)

Been married 17 years this May...

-Brett

[SoundCloud | YouTube]
Old 04-27-2015, 03:47 PM

So much less time to pick your life time mate than your next guitar.....haha. You are really something, I wish we could go have dinner and drinks sometime....
Old 04-27-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
So much less time to pick your life time mate than your next guitar.....haha. You are really something, I wish we could go have dinner and drinks sometime....
The two aren't unrelated! If I were single is have a lot more guitars... I wouldn't feel much guilt because I wouldn't have a wife and three kids to provide for and could have several of these, no problem.

But one Kostal? That's easily a year of my middle kid's select soccer plus his skills coach (he's a very serious soccer player), my oldest's TaeKwon-Do tuition, etc, etc...

Or reprinting the house which has been worn down by little hands and fingers...

Etc...

Still, there's a balance to everything, so while I took my time, I'm very happy about the outcome... As is my wife.

And yes... Dinner and drinks anytime! I'm in Texas, come on down... Ha!

-Brett

[SoundCloud | YouTube]
Old 04-27-2015, 03:58 PM

Be careful about your offers, we are moving to the hill country in the next 1-2 years....
Old 04-27-2015, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usb_chord View Post
I love that wax seal he uses on his label. Super classy. I need to find a close-up pic of that..
Your wish...

Cheers,
Steve
Old 04-27-2015, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
Your wish...

Cheers,
Steve
Well looky there! Thanks, Steve – I hope you're well!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop