The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-16-2021, 04:23 PM

Default Is it just my imagination or has the sound of my OM changed?

Hello all!
A couple of months back, I purchased a Collings OM1-t and have fallen head over heals for it. I had only ever played dreadnoughts before this, so my ears had to adjust to the more balanced, less scooped sound of the smaller guitar. In the past two weeks or so, though, I’ve noticed that I’m hearing (or think I’m hearing) more bass from the guitar than I did the day it arrived at my house. Is this possible or have my ears simply adjusted to the sound of this instrument so that it now sounds like my new normal? I’ve put about 20 hours of playing time on it since I’ve had it, for the record.
Old 01-16-2021, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wproffitt View Post
Hello all!
A couple of months back, I purchased a Collings OM1-t and have fallen head over heals for it. I had only ever played dreadnoughts before this, so my ears had to adjust to the more balanced, less scooped sound of the smaller guitar. In the past two weeks or so, though, I’ve noticed that I’m hearing (or think I’m hearing) more bass from the guitar than I did the day it arrived at my house. Is this possible or have my ears simply adjusted to the sound of this instrument so that it now sounds like my new normal? I’ve put about 20 hours of playing time on it since I’ve had it, for the record.
Yes, all those things. One other thing I notice, year after year with the same guitar, is the effects of seasonal changes. During winter the sound can be a bit more focused and dry, and in the summer not as much.
Old 01-16-2021, 04:32 PM

Also, two months ago the strings were new and a bit more zingy.
Old 01-16-2021, 04:51 PM

Default A thought

OP's also been listening to the instrument for these two months. And there's no way at all to confirm or discard OP's thoughts on acoustic performance. And change the location where the guitar gets picked and there's a huge change in what's heard. And OP's spent these months learning to exploit what the instrument can provide.

Last edited by phavriluk; 01-16-2021 at 08:38 PM.
Old 01-16-2021, 05:13 PM

If you've lived solely in the dread world before getting the OM, it's also likely that you're learning how to play it. Perhaps a little more pressure on the bass strings before the release.

A studio recording artist once showed me how to get more bass out of most any guitar with a minor change in how the string is released. It works. You might be slowly adjusting to what an OM needs.

Plus all the other stuff you mentioned.
Old 01-16-2021, 05:36 PM

Could be the guitar is just starting to open up and find it’s own voice.
Old 01-16-2021, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

Collings mids and trebles are typically very strong right out of the gate. That's an important attribute. But it's the bass response of a new guitar that develops slowly and eventually fills out.

If you bought the guitar new, it is likely going through stage 1 of its opening up. Enjoy!

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 01-16-2021, 06:51 PM

Almost certainly not your imagination. But which of the many factors discussed is responsible?

I am thinking it is a little early for this guitar to be “played in” enough to produce an audible change. But I could be wrong. You will be hearing such changes in the coming years. I’m just not inclined to believe that 20 hours of play time over 2 months is enough. I favor humidity changes, string changes, your technique and ears adjusting to the OM.

My Collings OM2HG is 9 years old. A fabulous guitar that definitely sounds different than when brand new.
Old 01-16-2021, 08:24 PM

in a played-in guitar I hear the difference in the bass but especially in the mids. The clarity of the mids is improved and are much less "stringy" sounding. But this usually takes more than a few months.
Old 01-16-2021, 08:57 PM

It’s just your imagination.
Old 01-16-2021, 09:04 PM

I recently bought a very nice guitar from an AGF member that I know personally and trust his assessments of guitars without hesitation. He was really positive about this guitar and when I got it, I hated it, quiet, dull, just blah. I would never send it back because that is just not that way I am although he said he would take it back.

Disappointed, I put it away tuned up for a couple of weeks and then just got it out for the heck of it one day and it was completely 100% different, alive, louder, more bass and sustain, twinkles in the trebles, a completely different guitar.

So I believe it completely and also believe guitars fall asleep and need to wake up sometimes.
Old 01-16-2021, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
If you've lived solely in the dread world before getting the OM, it's also likely that you're learning how to play it. Perhaps a little more pressure on the bass strings before the release.

A studio recording artist once showed me how to get more bass out of most any guitar with a minor change in how the string is released. It works. You might be slowly adjusting to what an OM needs.

Hey zmf...

Care to share the technique you were shown for getting "more bass out of most any guitar" with your fellow forumites?

Please...even...

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 01-16-2021, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

Wowza! what a story and thanks for sharing.

2020 Martin GPC-15ME Streetmaster

2021 Eastman AC622CE

SOLD - 1995 Larrivee Jumbo (J-19) with lots of custom blingwork, Sitka over EIR

2024 Larrivee OM-3, Moon over Bhilwara

2018 Taylor 712e, 12 Fret Slot Head, Western Burst

2022 Furch Red DSR Stunning!!
Old 01-16-2021, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post

Thanks for that insight. I know that since I’ve started playing this guitar, my technique has changed. Both my picking and left hand technique have become more precise because this guitar isn’t terribly forgiving of my normal sloppiness. Perhaps I’m coaxing more bass out of it than I was on day 1 because I’ve simply adapted.
Old 01-16-2021, 11:00 PM
Charter Member

Maybe it is you. It could be you are getting better playing it.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
bass response, collings, om1-t