The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-21-2020, 01:14 AM

Default Looking for warmer strings (fingerstyle)

Hello, I know this might have been discussed before but since every guitar is different I was looking for suggestions on how to get a warmer sound when playing fingerstyle on my guitar.

It's a Takamine GN20 with Cedar top and Mahogany body. I also own the equivalent classical guitar.

I tried a lot of strings and looking for something a bit more specific than usual. Currently I am on Elixir Polywebs 10-47 and really like how they feel and that they have coating/anti rust steels.

When playing fingerstyle though the B and high E strings are a bit too bright for my taste so I was looking at strings like Silk and Steels (have tried 2 sets) but with coating since they don't seem to last long and sliding becomes harder even after a few days without the coating (don't have this issue with Elixirs).

Another idea would be to go for the Polywebs but in 11 gauge which would make the strings a bit less bright (maybe use only the high strings to not increase overall tension as I prefer 10's for that reason).

Let me know if you have any suggestions, thank you and stay safe!
Old 04-21-2020, 01:36 AM

Look at Thomastik (plectrum and spectrum) both wonderful finger style strings (I use them on all my guitars), plenty of warmth without sacrificing clarity. 10-47 is extremely light also I’m not surprised it sounds bright, a slightly heavier gauge would help. I use 11-52 or 12-54. Newtone double wound are also warm sounding strings and of high quality.
Gibson J-45 JT project "1942 Banner" (Adi/Mahogany)
Eastman E20P (Adi/Rosewood)
Sigma-SDR-28MLE (Adi/Madagascan Rosewood)
Sigma SDR-45 (Sitka/Rosewood)
Sigma SDM-18 (European/Flamed Mahogany)
Freshman FA400D (Engelmann/Rosewood)
Freshman FA300 (Cedar/Hog)
Voyage Air VAD-06
Old 04-21-2020, 01:59 AM

Thanks for the quick reply, the plectrums seem to be at 125lbs of tension for the 11's (lights) compared to 131lbs of the polywebs (10's). The spectrums seem to be at 151lbs for lights so might have to try extra light on those which are 135lbs.

How do Thomastik strings do regarding corrosion?
Old 04-21-2020, 02:36 AM
Charter Member

Hi Tasos,

I echo bobster in recommending both TI and Newtone. I favor the (slightly cheaper ) Newtone strings and think they have a nice warm sound. Like the TI Plectrum, Newtone do a low tension string called the Heritage, which can be bought online direct from the factory like all their strings.

I have had goo life out of both brands; seems like they last a bit longer than the Martin SPs I used before but that may just be my wishful thinking!
Old 04-21-2020, 05:08 AM

Newtone Heritage or Master Class are both warmer out of the pack than any PB I’ve tried with the exception of GHS Silk and Bronze which is a good consideration . I’ve heard from many on the forum that the John Pearce are good. The only time I ever used them, they didn’t last very long. Newtones last a long time.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 04-21-2020, 05:15 AM

Thanks for the replies, from the GHS line I've tried the silk and steel ones but they lasted me a few days (probably because of my corrosive sweat) that is why I was looking at something with coating like the elixir's. Will try TI plectrum and spectrum and see how they work out and will post again.
Old 04-21-2020, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasos View Post
Thanks for the replies, from the GHS line I've tried the silk and steel ones but they lasted me a few days (probably because of my corrosive sweat) that is why I was looking at something with coating like the elixir's. Will try TI plectrum and spectrum and see how they work out and will post again.
There's Silk & Steel and there's Silk & Bronze and they are quite different from each other.

Silk & Bronze play and feel more like regular PB strings but with a warmer tone.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 04-21-2020, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
There's Silk & Steel and there's Silk & Bronze and they are quite different from each other.

Silk & Bronze play and feel more like regular PB strings but with a warmer tone.
This is an accurate analysis.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 04-21-2020, 06:45 AM
Charter Member

Another vote for Plectrums. I use the 11-50’s. Minimal string noise and my hand chemistry allows 12-16 weeks lifespan which makes them a good value for me.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 04-21-2020, 06:48 AM
Charter Member

I'll toss DR Sunbeams out there as well ...

Warmed up my Taylor 314 considerably (to my ears) and I really like their feel, so 12-54 Sunbeams have become my go to strings for that guitar.

*Note that they are round core so wind before cutting to length.

~ Paul
Old 04-21-2020, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post

I agree. I personally prefer silk & steel strings but I think silk & bronze strings are warmer.
Old 04-21-2020, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobster7 View Post
Look at Thomastik (plectrum and spectrum) both wonderful finger style strings (I use them on all my guitars), plenty of warmth without sacrificing clarity. 10-47 is extremely light also I’m not surprised it sounds bright, a slightly heavier gauge would help. I use 11-52 or 12-54. Newtone double wound are also warm sounding strings and of high quality.
Im with Bobster7, Plectrums will sound sweet on that cedar/hog.
Old 04-21-2020, 07:42 AM

Every guitar is different, but I like either Martin Retro's or SUS for fingerstyle on mine.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 04-21-2020, 08:54 PM
Charter Member

The Silk and Steel strings will certainly give a more mellow tone on the wound strings, and my kid uses these on his Yamaha FS820 and it serves his purpose for having less tension.

I do have a question for those of you that play these or the silk and bronze strings - how do you account for the difference with the unwound high B and E strings? When I've played my kid's guitar it sounded fine with strumming but once you add play fingerstyle the silk wound strings have a much different timbre than the unwound strings. At least with my feeble abilities, the difference in timbre with fingerstyle doesn't work for me at all. I have to be missing something - please enlighten me.
PRS SE P20E Parlor
Martin Backpacker
Old 04-21-2020, 09:36 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras
Default Looking for warmer strings (fingerstyle)

You might try Lowden 11s. These strings are warm, clear and balanced. Very playable. Not sure of the tension but the website probably has the info on that. They have a very thin coating with great feel and so far seem to last.

Best,
Jayne

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
fingerstyle, strings, warm