The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-23-2020, 09:59 PM

Default Going all in on one guitar?

About 15 years ago, I was at Rudy’s in NYC and played a Lowden S35c in cocobolo. It was the most comfortable, perfectly intonated, well appointed, just sensational guitar I have ever played. When I finally got the gumption to purchase it, it was gone.

I’ve bought and sold a million guitars since then. I’m 49, don’t play out anymore, full-time career, two kids in college, and usually just play for myself, sometimes record some pieces. I have a full-time job, but not a ton of money. However, I’ve seen a new s35c 12 fret online that looks perfect. However, it’s $6k. I’m not the most careful person in the world when taking care of things, so worry about an investment where it would get damaged. And I wouldn’t probably ever play it out with it, unless really inspired.

I can sell all my instruments and a few other things to get it. I haven’t played it, just have this feeling when I see it. Is this a Holy Grail chase? Making too much of this? Worth pursuing? I just bought a Farida from Elderly Music and it’s fine. But should I go after this? What would you do?
Old 01-23-2020, 10:03 PM

If you like it , want it and can afford it then buy it!
You only live once.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:11 PM
Charter Member

The fact that you're asking this question suggests to me that you've already thought this through (very detailed post), really want to buy this guitar, and are simply looking for others to agree with the decision you've already made. Presuming you have, in fact, carefully thought this through I say go for it !
Old 01-23-2020, 10:18 PM

What will you regret more - Having the money but not the guitar or the guitar and not the money? I personally would take the guitar, but I'm at the point in life where that is the correct decision. Good luck.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:27 PM

Lowden + cocobolo = jump all over it if you trust the seller.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanic1908 View Post
If you like it , want it and can afford it then buy it! You only live once.
This. +++++++
Old 01-23-2020, 11:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garthjmoore View Post
About 15 years ago, I was at Rudy’s in NYC and played a Lowden S35c in cocobolo. It was the most comfortable, perfectly intonated, well appointed, just sensational guitar I have ever played. When I finally got the gumption to purchase it, it was gone.

I’ve bought and sold a million guitars since then. I’m 49, don’t play out anymore, full-time career, two kids in college, and usually just play for myself, sometimes record some pieces. I have a full-time job, but not a ton of money. However, I’ve seen a new s35c 12 fret online that looks perfect. However, it’s $6k. I’m not the most careful person in the world when taking care of things, so worry about an investment where it would get damaged. And I wouldn’t probably ever play it out with it, unless really inspired.

I can sell all my instruments and a few other things to get it. I haven’t played it, just have this feeling when I see it. Is this a Holy Grail chase? Making too much of this? Worth pursuing? I just bought a Farida from Elderly Music and it’s fine. But should I go after this? What would you do?
You should play it first.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 01-24-2020, 02:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
However, it’s $6k. I’m not the most careful person in the world when taking care of things, so worry about an investment where it would get damaged. And I wouldn’t probably ever play it out with it, unless really inspired.
For me, you can,'t see a purchase like this as an appreciating asset. It's the opposite. Assume it will lose value significantly. Buying a guitar isn't making an investment. It's the opposite insofar as the money you spend could have been used to make an investment. It's a liability, viewed correctly.

Granted, it will still have a value after you buy it but it's just not an investment, or if you think it is you put it safely away and attempt to preserve it in mint conditiom so you can realise it by selling at the optimum time in the future.

So I would say if you like it and can afford it, buy it. But as a guitar to play. You'll have no pleasure or peace of mind if you're sweating on wear and tear (minor dings are just that, and to be expected where the guitar is actually used).
Old 01-24-2020, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coler View Post
For me, you can,'t see a purchase like this as an appreciating asset. It's the opposite. Assume it will lose value significantly. Buying a guitar isn't making an investment. It's the opposite insofar as the money you spend could have been used to make an investment. It's a liability, viewed correctly.

Granted, it will still have a value after you buy it but it's just not an investment, or if you think it is you put it safely away and attempt to preserve it in mint condition so you can realise it by selling at the optimum time in the future.

So I would say if you like it and can afford it, buy it. But as a guitar to play. You'll have no pleasure or peace of mind if you're sweating on wear and tear (minor dings are just that, and to be expected where the guitar is actually used).
I agree with all this. For me the sweating over it tends to only last until I bang it on something. Once it's got a dent or two I'm able relax and enjoy it. I was almost pleased the first time I banged my hummingbird (about a week in) because I knew I'd chill out after.

My GS mini has lots of small marks (none major) and it actually looks better with them. It has more mojo.

Back to the OP... my hummingbird is the most expensive guitar I've ever bought - by a factor of 4x.

I bought it to never play out, just to play carefully at home etc. I went backwards and fowards about keeping my other guitars. Most of the justification for keeping them being that I can play them out without worrying etc. Those that spend all day reading every post on here may have seen me going backwards and forwards between "I'm selling the GS Mini" and "I'm NEVER selling the GS Mini".

I've come to realise that whenever I take anything else out I'm disappointed I don't have my hummingbird with me, so I've bought a light, semi-rigid Gator soft case thing and it's going to go out. GS Mini is being sold.

I only need one guitar and the hummingbird is it. I just need to relax. I've insured it now so if it gets stolen or damaged it'll be replaced/fixed. Insurance was £80 a year, which seems pretty reasonable for peace of mind on a £4k guitar. And now if I wake up in the night and the house is on fire I won't need to waste time deciding whether to get the guitar or the children out of the house first. The only thing it's not covered for is theft from an unattended vehicle. I could have added that but it doubled the insurance cost, and it seems like something I can avoid doing fairly easily.

So yes, if you can learn to relax and love playing it everywhere and laugh off the dents then go for it. As for the investment value, I've already left instructions that I'm to be buried with it so it's a moot point If all you'll be doing is raising your blood pressure then maybe it's not going to do you a lot of good.

Quote:
It's also worth being realisitc about your needs.

Part of not wanting to part with my GS Mini was "I'd never take my hummingbird to a pub gig". Well that may or may not be true, but also, the chances of me actually doing a pub gig are close to zero anyway.

Most of me not wanting to sell me electric was the "but what if....". Again, it's not going to happen.

It feels painful to 'loose options', but I've decided it's much more useful to purchase based on actual requirements than fantasies and 'keeping doors open'. If my requirements change and I wind up in a band and doing pub gigs I'll buy something cheap and cheerful to play out, but there's really not much point thinking about that unless it happens.

Last edited by RalphH; 01-24-2020 at 05:03 AM.
Old 01-24-2020, 04:55 AM

Depends how much of a dent in your finances $6k would make. The more significant that sum is for you, the more sure you ought to be before spending (not investing!) it.

Also, feeling "precious" about a guitar because one has over-spent can inhibit playing and enjoyment.

Bottom line - if you can buy it and forget the money, go for it. But if the money is going to weigh on your mind and/or conscience for a long time into the future, think carefully.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:00 AM

If you’re going to go all in on one guitar you can’t go far wrong with Lowden.

Old 01-24-2020, 05:39 AM

I think no...Just because you can afford it does not mean you should buy it. Sometimes after the chase, the shiny new object loses its luster...and it becomes just another guitar. Now everyone has their own desires...and if its yours...well fine. I prefer to have choice..I own a few different guitars...dreads, om, 000, rosewood, mahogany, koa, they each have their own voice.. and I like that. Its like that line in an old comedy movie where the guy walks into the kitchen, opens the cabinet and says "Could you imagine life opening up that door and having that box of Corn Flakes there...Corn Flakes everyday...for the rest of your life"......not me.

Last edited by GHS; 01-24-2020 at 05:40 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-24-2020, 06:01 AM

I'd buy it. I agree with the above that it'll probably lose monetary value. But I'd buy it, I'd keep it out on a secure stand, and play it. Life is short, and if this guitar will inspire you, and make you happy, then go for it.
Less time then, thinking about guitars, more time playing.
UNLESS... you LIKE the pursuit of buying and trying different guitars. In which case, getting the be all, end all guitar, pretty much signals an end to that.
I'm somewhere in the middle. Always researching new gear, but trying have around the best guitars for me. I say guitars plural, since I consider each 'category' (steel, nylon, electric) as different and ultimately would like to have a keeper in each category. Good luck!
Old 01-24-2020, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHS View Post
I think no...Just because you can afford it does not mean you should buy it. Sometimes after the chase, the shiny new object loses its luster...and it becomes just another guitar. Now everyone has their own desires...and if its yours...well fine. I prefer to have choice..I own a few different guitars...dreads, om, 000, rosewood, mahogany, koa, they each have their own voice.. and I like that. Its like that line in an old comedy movie where the guy walks into the kitchen, opens the cabinet and says "Could you imagine life opening up that door and having that box of Corn Flakes there...Corn Flakes everyday...for the rest of your life"......not me.

Singers don't have this trouble; they just make do with the one voice they have and don't complain it's as bad as eating only cornflakes every day for the rest of their life.

I think having to play the same one song forever might be like having Corn Flakes everyday. But needing lots of different guitars? Nah, sorry, not buying it!
Old 01-24-2020, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphH View Post
Singers don't have this trouble; they just make do with the one voice they have and don't complain it's as bad as eating only cornflakes every day for the rest of their life.

I think having to play the same one song forever might be like having Corn Flakes everyday. But needing lots of different guitars? Nah, sorry, not buying it!
Well said.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
gas, lowden