The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-10-2018, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

These folks are surely giving wise advice about maintaining constant humidity level for guitars.

As an aside, and definitely NOT to give advice, here is the story of my wooden guitars, none of which have ever been either humidified or de-humidified.

I purchased a Yairi cutaway classical rosewood and cedar guitar in Vallejo, CA, in 1982. That guitar went with me to the USS John Young, home ported in San Diego, in 1984. In December of 1984 I purchased a Khono Sakauri cedar and Brazilian rosewood classical guitar in Kowloon. Both guitars stayed on the ship with me until 1987 when I was transferred to Virginia Beach. Both guitars went with me to Columbus, OH in 1992, then back to San Diego in 1997, this time NOT on a ship, and then back to Virginia Beach in 2000. The Sakauri did develop a small crack in the soundboard near the bridge just before we moved to Virginia Beach in 2000, which we had repaired in Virginia. Also purchased a Taylor steel string ( E 312, I think) in Virginia Beach in 2002. Never had any other problems with any of those guitars, or with any of the other guitars that I have purchased since 2000.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:51 PM

I live in Houston, which is known for it's humidity. However, during the winter when I have the heater on the humidity will definitely drop down to the danger zone.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:06 PM

I don't doubt for a minute folks who have had issues with guitars.
I also understand the fear of exposing an expensive instrument to the potential of a major catastrophic event due to the lack of or excess of humidity.
Personally, my opinion is the need to keep a guitar between X and Y% humidity is highly overblown. I have a 30+ year old Alvarez that my grandson is using that has never been humidified, de-humidified or sprayed with pesticides and it's fine.
I have three guitars that are never in their cases and the humidity in my home runs from a low of 40% in the winter to a high of 55-60% in the spring before the air conditioning kicks in and keeps it around 50%.
Except for some occasional minor truss tweaking they are all doing quite well thank you.
Anyway, I'm glad you folks are keeping the economy moving forward with all that humidification, de-humidification and the occasional vacation.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 12-10-2018, 01:42 PM

Extremes of either dryness or dampness are not a good thing for acoustics. Those who live in places like the SF Bay area have it pretty easy in this regard...perfect climate for a guitar...usually.

I used to live in the Bay Area for about 20 years, but have moved back up to the Northern Oregon coast and I tend to have more trouble with excessive humidity than anything else, except in the winter when the heat runs a lot. I have both a humidifier and a de-humidifier in my studio along with hygrometer and I use them accordingly. I keep my guitars out on a rack in my studio and maintain it at 45 to 50% and 70* F, whether I have to use the humidifier (couple months in the winter) or the other one (May through September).

Dryness is the more common, and probably the more serious, problem, but too much humidity...persistent readings north of 60% will also damage a guitar, not to mention making it sound 'tubby'.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 12-10-2018, 02:02 PM

You will likely be air conditioning your home a lot of the time which will bring the humidity down to a comfortable level around 50% RH. You and your guitars should be comfortable.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
I'd be careful with that. I've lived in sourthern Florida for 20 years and the AC keeps the humidity around 40 to 50% too, but I still humidify a bit. You might think it's not needed, but it definitely is...

Two stories to share. I bought a cheap all wood uke for about $80 a few years ago. Never humidified it because it was cheap. Now, it has completely dried out, the body is sunk in and its frets are protruding. I'm trying to re-humidfy it.

You might think that's because it's cheap and made in a poor environment. Well, I have a Guild JF30-12 made in Westerly. I also didn't humidify that much since it's laminate back and sides. Well, it has also dried out. The frets are really protruding from it and it sucks because that guitar is great. I'm now vigilant with it and hopefully it bounces back.

So, with the AC running, even if you think the humidity levels are ok, I would still humidify a bit. Now, it took years for that to happen to my Guild, but it will happen if you don't humidify.
I guess anything is theoretically possible, but I don't know a single person who does anything for their guitars other than put them in a case, and I know a lot of guys that don't even do that.

Martin keeps the factory at 45% to 55%.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:55 PM

Unless you plan on storing your guitars outdoors, then the relative humidity outside can be completely different than it is inside. You need to check what the levels are in the room you intend to keep the guitar in. I live in Central Florida... very humid much of the year... outside. Inside, I run the AC, and the humidity levels are usually in the low 30s. In winter, when I don't run the AC, the levels inside my house actually go UP, even as the levels outside go down.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
humidity