The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-24-2018, 12:28 PM

Default Gibson J-45 and the D'addario NS Micro Soundhole Tuner

Hi,

It seems like a lot of you have been adding a J45 to your stable. So, I thought I'd put a warning out there... I've been using the ns micro soundhole tuner (which worked well for me as a tuner) but unfortunately found out that the rubber used to hold the tuner reacts with the finish. I double checked before purchasing and I was assured that it is safe to keep on nitrocellulose finishes. At this point, I'm not sure if this is only on Gibson's finishes or will affect other nitrocellulose finishes/other finishes in general but I have email d'addario so imagine we'll find out soon.

I'm a fan of D'addario products and it's unfortunate that this happened but we'll see what D'addario says. I'll keep y'all posted.

Here are some pictures:

Old 06-24-2018, 12:47 PM

I am sorry to see that. But it does not look too bad. Did you try naptha on a microfibre cloth to clean up the rubber residue? A bit of Virtuoso Cleaner, followed by Virtuoso Polish can restore the nitro or make it less visible. You could even use Gibson Polish in a Pump. Gently and don't scrub.

It looks like it is "fogged" by the rubber.
Old 06-24-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
I am sorry to see that. But it does not look too bad. Did you try naptha on a microfibre cloth to clean up the rubber residue? A bit of Virtuoso Cleaner, followed by Virtuoso Polish can restore the nitro or make it less visible. You could even use Gibson Polish in a Pump. Gently and don't scrub.

It looks like it is "fogged" by the rubber.
Yup... I have the Gibson pump polish... But it is still the same.
Old 06-24-2018, 01:00 PM

I use Meguier's Scratch X on things like that and it cleans it right up. That said I keep these on everything from custom builds to Voyage Airs which includes nitro and poly guitars with never a problem. I would contact D'Addario and show them the issue so that they know and see if there is anything they can/will do for you since they say they're safe. I can't imagine that a Gibson applied finish would be different but..........
Old 06-24-2018, 01:15 PM

Default Gibson J-45 and the D'addario NS Micro Soundhole Tuner

I contacted D’Addario two weeks ago about a brand new defective tuner. They haven’t responded. I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for a response.

FOLLOWUP
D’Addario replied to my email and it must have gone to my junk folder. I called and they responded. D’Addario sent a replacement tuner.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer

Last edited by BT55; 07-01-2018 at 03:23 PM.
Old 06-24-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT55 View Post
I contacted D’Addario two weeks ago about a brand new defective tuner. They haven’t responded. I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for a response.
Up here in Canada, my experience with them has been great. They always respond within 2 business days. But this is D'addario Canada...
Old 06-24-2018, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twg1996 View Post
Quote:
Up here in Canada, my experience with them has been great. They always respond within 2 business days. But this is D'addario Canada...

I contacted them about an old capo that was defective and had a response within 30 mins. They sent me a new one no questions asked. You might try contacting them again.
Old 06-24-2018, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

I’ve had experience with D’Addario CS regarding replacement of some of their Humidipak in-guitar humidification packs, and I was treated very professionally. The gentleman I spoke to seemed concerned with my issue & sent me replacements with a new “fix” immediately.

I say this because I hope they are as forthcoming & professional to you as they were to me.
Old 06-24-2018, 04:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I've had great service from D'Addario. This seems atypical to me - try pinging them again.

Unless you'd rather just stew about it, of course
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 06-24-2018, 04:40 PM

I've never needed to deal with the D'Addario Customer Service department, but my general rule of thumb when presented with any sort of problem is to pick up the phone during a company's business hours and call. The number I found for D'Addario is 631-439-3300.

Wait, on another page I found a toll-free number:

D'Addario United States
631-439-3300
800-323-2746
Monday - Friday
8:30am - 5pm EST.

So don't sit around waiting for your email to be returned. Instead, pick up the phone and give them a call to find out what your options are.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 06-24-2018, 05:39 PM

I've had one on my J45 for over a year and there is no marks at all.

My solution to you is don't take it off and you won't see the mark.
Old 06-24-2018, 05:52 PM

I contacted D'Addario about the 'saddle-bag' type holders they now supply with their 2-way humidification system.
I still had the older plastic clip bag set-up.
They sent me these totally at their own cost posted to Australia.

I would say their customer service is outstanding.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 06-24-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
I've never needed to deal with the D'Addario Customer Service department, but my general rule of thumb when presented with any sort of problem is to pick up the phone during a company's business hours and call. The number I found for D'Addario is 631-439-3300.

Wait, on another page I found a toll-free number:

D'Addario United States
631-439-3300
800-323-2746
Monday - Friday
8:30am - 5pm EST.

So don't sit around waiting for your email to be returned. Instead, pick up the phone and give them a call to find out what your options are.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Thanks! Actually, I live in Canada and they have a separate line/office that I can contact. It seems that D'addario in general is a great company, both in Canada and in the States. I have had great experiences with them and I will be giving them a call tomorrow but I sent them a brief email with pictures for reference. I'm anticipating for them to be able to pull up the email during our call. Hopefully it'll help with them in deciding how they can resolve the issue.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
I use Meguier's Scratch X on things like that and it cleans it right up. That said I keep these on everything from custom builds to Voyage Airs which includes nitro and poly guitars with never a problem. I would contact D'Addario and show them the issue so that they know and see if there is anything they can/will do for you since they say they're safe. I can't imagine that a Gibson applied finish would be different but..........
Meguiars Scratch-X 2.0 to be exact.
It will do the trick. I use it on my bursts for any thing....haze, fine scratches etc.
It works great. Just use a small amount on a cotton cloth and rub it gently.
Buff it clean with micro fiber.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 06-25-2018, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Meguiars Scratch-X 2.0 to be exact.
It will do the trick. I use it on my bursts for any thing....haze, fine scratches etc.
It works great. Just use a small amount on a cotton cloth and rub it gently.
Buff it clean with micro fiber.
It's absolutely safe? Idk... Im just skeptical on putting anything on my guitar now haha

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
d'addario, gibson, j-45, soundhole, tuner