The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-05-2018, 04:24 PM

Question Bourgeois Om Redwood/flamed Mahogany

Hello all, I'm new to this forum. I bought a Bourgeois guitar and i was told that it's a Redwood top with English flamed Walnut back and sides, but I think it's flamed Mahogany.
I don't know much about this guitar and after a bit of searching i found the guitar on this forum, I think it's the same guitar as the one that Diamond Dave has sold on here. When I bought the guitar, there was an USB stick in the guitar case, with the same pictures as Diamond Dave has. So I was wondering if he or anyone else could tell me what they think the back and sides of this guitar are made from?

Old 05-05-2018, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

Does it say what it is on the sticker inside the guitar? To be sure give Bourgeois a call. They will check the serial # and tell you with certainty. Beautiful guitar.
Old 05-05-2018, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
Does it say what it is on the sticker inside the guitar? To be sure give Bourgeois a call. They will check the serial # and tell you with certainty. Beautiful guitar.
Thank you Paul , the sticker says Redwood/hide, which would mean hide glue i think. Apart from that nothing. I did e-mail Bourgeois, but I haven't heard from them yet. The guitar sounds great and very warm. Mostly in dropped tunings it sounds great, but seems to be lacking a bit in standard tuning. Lacking transparency, a bit dull. I use JP bronze strings (011). I hope someone can advice me about what strings to use.
Old 05-05-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee1983 View Post
Thank you Paul , the sticker says Redwood/hide, which would mean hide glue i think. ...
Redwood/hide means it has a redwood top and naugahyde back and sides.

You're lucky.
Since the Western Flamed Nauga went extinct your guitar's become quite valuable.

Seriously, beautiful guitar!
Old 05-05-2018, 05:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thank you Paul , the sticker says Redwood/hide, which would mean hide glue i think. Apart from that nothing. I did e-mail Bourgeois, but I haven't heard from them yet. The guitar sounds great and very warm. Mostly in dropped tunings it sounds great, but seems to be lacking a bit in standard tuning. Lacking transparency, a bit dull. I use JP bronze strings (011). I hope someone can advice me about what strings to use.
I’ve used a variety of strings on my Bourgeois OM - different woods Madi/Adi - and settled on D'Addario Exp PB 12-53 and like them. I also owned a Bourgeois OM EIR/Redwood and a 00 EIR/German for a couple of years and liked D'Addario EJ 12-53 strings on these. I like JP strings, but they were not my choice on any of the Bourgeois guitars I’ve owned.
Old 05-05-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Redwood/hide means it has a redwood top and naugahyde back and sides.

You're lucky.
Now that both the Western Flamed (and the Northern Bearclaw) Naugas have become extinct your guitar is quite valuable.

Seriously, beautiful guitar!
Old 05-05-2018, 09:06 PM
G625 mistral-k

Congrats on the guitar. As for strings, give JP PB's, GHS PB's and D'Addario PB's a try. D'Addario's and JP's would be my first choice for that combination.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:31 PM
Charter Member

A Redwood topped Bourgeois is always a special guitar. Yours is lovely indeed---
Old 05-05-2018, 10:42 PM

I'd sure love to hear that. It's a beautiful guitar. He builds some great ones.

Bourgeois, Collings, Eastman, Gibson, Martin
Old 05-05-2018, 11:03 PM

Body doesn't look like walnut to me. Redwood top, yes.
Old 05-06-2018, 03:16 AM

Thank you for the replies Wouldn't PB strings make the guitar sound even warmer? I read that PB enhances bass and that Bronze would be brighter. Is that so?
Old 05-06-2018, 05:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thank you for the replies Wouldn't PB strings make the guitar sound even warmer? I read that PB enhances bass and that Bronze would be brighter. Is that so?
That’s the stereotypical description that may be generally true. In my experience I find 80/20s bring out less blending of tone and a more precise rendering of highs & lows that the guitar offers. Sometimes they bring out more bass and project more. Worth trying out a bunch to see what suits your ear. I find D’Addario to be a little brighter in general. D’Addario has a nice little tool to compare their strings here — http://daddario.com/DADProductsAcous...?ActiveID=1904
Old 05-06-2018, 05:53 AM

Quote:
That’s the stereotypical description that may be generally true. In my experience I find 80/20s bring out less blending of tone and a more precise rendering of highs & lows that the guitar offers. Sometimes they bring out more bass and project more. Worth trying out a bunch to see what suits your ear. I find D’Addario to be a little brighter in general. D’Addario has a nice little tool to compare their strings here — http://daddario.com/DADProductsAcous...?ActiveID=1904
Oh thank you for the link. That's very helpful!
Old 05-06-2018, 06:19 AM

Looks like straight-grained walnut to me.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:11 AM
G625 mistral-k

Quote:
Quote:
+1 On our Bourgeois guitars, PB's perform exactly as Haasome describes. On our OM (EIR/German) D'Addario - EJ16's & JP PB's work best and our other OM (Madi/Italian) only D'Addario's EJ16's and JP's work best. Our SJ (Madi/Italian) is similar to the Madi/Italian OM. Our Slope D (EIR/Adi) works best with GHS and JP PB's. We previously had a Bourgeois OO of OGM/RW and we found D'Addario EJ16's worked best for our ears. Experiment and find what works best for your ears.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
bourgeois, redwood