The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-15-2017, 08:30 PM

Default My story and your thoughts

Update for anyone who just wants a quick synopsis: Taylor 322ce 12 Fret vs. Takamine P3NC, one or the other is about to find a new home with me. I have narrowed it down and these 100% are the only 2 options. Let me hear your opinions and help make NGD happen!

Read below for full details

-----
Good evening all. I've enjoyed learning from this community and this is my first post. It will be a little long, but I want to include all the details and am curious to hear your opinions.

Background: I play a mix of acoustic, electric and bass. I have really only ever had one acoustic guitar, a Takamine EAN40C that was by my side for well over 15 years. This guitar was "the guitar" for me and I never even thought about getting a different one. Maybe there was something unique about mine, but everyone who saw/heard that red cedar top fell in love with it. It took some major battle scars over the years and the only person who I trust to for repairs (this person is fantastic), is literally backed up for years. The guitar is out of commission for the time being, and I took this as the time to acquire a 2nd acoustic.

Journey: I initially purchased a used lower-end martin, and was not feeling it at all. I returned it several days later and ended up walking out with a new Taylor 214ce DLX, which cost more than I wanted to spend, but I really was into it at the store. I sat with this guitar for over a month and was completely torn about whether to keep or return it. For those who don't know, that guitar is a great deal IMO. Gloss finish all around, rosewood back and sides. A pretty stunning instrument to look at. The sound was balanced, it was bright, but sounded somewhat muffled, almost like when someone dials the tone knob back a couple clicks on an electric. The neck was very comfortable, and I really like how the nut width is slightly smaller than the 1 3/4'' that begins with the 300 series Taylors. I was not a huge fan of the way the combo of gloss top and body shape caused friction/rubbing on my arm. A big problem was that during recording, I had a low frequency hum that I thought, after MUCH experimenting, I had isolated as a grounding problem stemming from the Taylor. I thought it would be fixable but I used it as an excuse to continue the journey. I tried out a Taylor 324ce SEB, which sounded absolutely incredible, it just had a less than comfortable neck (Please note I do not have Zakk Wylde sized hands and prefer necks that are easier to get around). I also tried the Taylor 322ce 12 Fret, and was kinda shocked by the bass and volume it was giving me, not to mention its a pretty guitar. I dismissed it though because I am unfamiliar with the 12 fret lifestyle.

While I still had enough time to exchange for store credit, I brought the 214ce DLX back and had them ship up a Takamine P3NC from the warehouse. I believe the P3NC is more or less Takamine's next version of the EAN40C, so I figured why not go with what I already know and love. When it finally arrived, I was a little bummed to find out it had the same grounding hum (I have tried so many things and believe its just a consequence of where I record). Regardless, the guitar is great. Definitely has more clarity than the taylor and is better at translating subtlety. It has that great Takamine tone, which I think is very unique to their instruments, at least to the Japanese made ones I've experienced. I highly recommend the guitar to anyone looking to avoid pain/fatigue in their fretting hand/wrist, the 1.675" nut width is even smaller than the 214's.

SO all is good, except, here are some things that are making me consider continuing the journey.

- The B strings seems to want to hang out ever so slightly closer to the E string than the G down by the bridge, not positive why that is.
- The edges of the fingerboard are shaved in an interesting way, not fully rolled or anything but there is a defined diagonal slant, that while comfortable, makes it easier for the high E to catch on the side when doing pull offs.
- The guitar's satin finish, which I find more comfortable than gloss, is of course slightly noisier, and the guitar overall is a bit creaky.
- The preamp balances the guitar in a way that makes it want to dip down to the left a bit, also it feels a little loose.
- Even thought he nut width makes it very easy to play, it may be hitting on the edge of too small, although I'm not sure if I would sacrifice the comfort it gives.

All things considered it has already inspired me to write and record. I think this guitar is great for people who want a balance between finger and pick styles. I think a lot of love is put into the Japanese Takamines. Needless to say I am bringing it with me to the store tomorrow, or this weekend, mainly to give a comparison against the 322ce and 324ce. Something about the sound of those solid wood Taylors is haunting me.

Would love to hear anyone's thoughts or opinions about the guitars mentioned here, or anything I had not considered. Just note that if you suggest any alternatives, I am using store credit at one of the major chains, so I am limited by what they either carry in store or can order. Also the 300 Taylors are definitley at the upper limit of my price range, and I would prefer to not go that high.

Thank you for reading!

Last edited by King'sXFan; 06-17-2017 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Update
Old 06-15-2017, 08:56 PM

Welcome to the forum! I'm new myself (and much newer to guitar than you) and I've learned a tremendous amount from the folks here.

Given your budgetary constraints, I'll pass along the advice I've heard many times here: look beyond the big brands. There are some excellent other brands that you should consider. Now, you might end up with a Martin X series at the end, but you owe it to yourself to see what's out there.

The typical "budget brands" are Larrivee, Eastman, Blueridge, and Recording King. Others will chime in with favorites too I imagine. I've played some Blueridges, and they can be fantastic for well under $1,000, even new. I just got an Eastman myself, and I think it's better than a Taylor 214 for much less money (it's all solid wood with a bone saddle/nut, which definitely helps). Larrivee can be a value too, and they are terrific guitars, with their own sound (which some people adore).

Oh, Breedlove is worth considering as well. They make some lovely guitars for less than you'll pay for a Martin or a Taylor. Same with the upper end Yamahas, like the L series.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:10 PM

Play them, and then go for them..... the 300 series minimum....
Seagull Natural Elements Dreadnaught
Taylor 418e
Taylor 514ce LTD
Old 06-15-2017, 10:20 PM

Don't ignore a $400 Yamaha or Seagull! Those offer amazing bang for the buck! Hell, I'll even say the F word...Fender! Some of the $500 Fenders do sound and play great, but you won't get any approvals from the cork sniffers that's for sure.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:38 PM

I don't have any advice, but just a comment on your Tak.
I understand your bond with that guitar. About 9 years ago when they discontinued that model, I purchased an EAN40C for my daughter on a ridiculous sale from MF.
That guitar still just blows me away. Even though my daughter plays a Martin D35 now, she will still use the Tak to perform with.
And it might be a notch lower than the D35, it gives it a run for its money.

Good luck
Old 06-15-2017, 10:40 PM

Smile

Welcome King'sXFan from a fellow fan.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:55 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCity View Post
Welcome to the forum! I'm new myself (and much newer to guitar than you) and I've learned a tremendous amount from the folks here.

Given your budgetary constraints, I'll pass along the advice I've heard many times here: look beyond the big brands. There are some excellent other brands that you should consider. Now, you might end up with a Martin X series at the end, but you owe it to yourself to see what's out there.

The typical "budget brands" are Larrivee, Eastman, Blueridge, and Recording King. Others will chime in with favorites too I imagine. I've played some Blueridges, and they can be fantastic for well under $1,000, even new. I just got an Eastman myself, and I think it's better than a Taylor 214 for much less money (it's all solid wood with a bone saddle/nut, which definitely helps). Larrivee can be a value too, and they are terrific guitars, with their own sound (which some people adore).

Oh, Breedlove is worth considering as well. They make some lovely guitars for less than you'll pay for a Martin or a Taylor. Same with the upper end Yamahas, like the L series.
Hmmm, unless something has changed that I'm unaware of, personally I've never considered Larrivees to be budget guitars.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitargeak99 View Post
I don't have any advice, but just a comment on your Tak.
I understand your bond with that guitar. About 9 years ago when they discontinued that model, I purchased an EAN40C for my daughter on a ridiculous sale from MF.
That guitar still just blows me away. Even though my daughter plays a Martin D35 now, she will still use the Tak to perform with.
And it might be a notch lower than the D35, it gives it a run for its money.

Good luck
Thank you! I know they are amazing right!? To be honest I never even knew what model it was until I started looking for a replacement. All those years ago I bought it in the store because it felt and sounded right, and never looked back. Besides being a great guitar all around, its is great to learn on with the NEX size and comfy neck, great choice for your daughter. I'm sure if anyone can find a used one now it would be a smoking' deal.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Walk in Song View Post
Haha yes! Great album and song, I always know I have made it to right place when fellow King's X fans are around! My brother actually got to see them last night in London, said it was the best show he ever saw.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Don't ignore a $400 Yamaha or Seagull! Those offer amazing bang for the buck! Hell, I'll even say the F word...Fender! Some of the $500 Fenders do sound and play great, but you won't get any approvals from the cork sniffers that's for sure.
I agree about the Yamaha for budget acoustics, and most yamaha products in general. For an acoustic below 300 or 400 they are pretty incredible. And yes I have heard Fender really improved their acoustic process over the last 15 years, thankfully.

Regarding price I'm in the hole about what the original 214ce DLX cost new (P3NC was same price so I just swapped), ideally I would only shift for something at a similar price point. Anything either significantly above or below would really have to wow me. (I'm hesitant on the below stuff because I don't really have anything else from the store I need, and I would only get credit on a return).
Old 06-15-2017, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCity View Post

Thank you for the welcome! I hear you on the Recording Kings, was really impressed by one I played recently, that company is doing good things. Larrivees are great, though they do tend to get pricey, seen some deals used. Hmm I will have to check out these Eastmans!
Old 06-16-2017, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Walk in Song View Post

Thanks for that, I'd not heard of King's X. before, it's certainly different from my usual music.
Old 06-17-2017, 11:17 AM

Default Update 322ce12 fret vs. Takamine P3NC

So after revisiting the guitar store I am very much caught between the Taylor 322ce 12 Fret and the Takamine P3NC. In terms of tone, its kind of boiled down to the 12 fret having more bass/boom and the Takamine having some more twang, and more volume. They are completely different animals and one isn't better than the other. To the Tak's credit it is significantly cheaper.

My gut is telling me to go with the Taylor. I know everyone talks about how it is a great fingerstyle guitar, but honestly playing that thing with a pick is what won me over, unbelievable richness and depth.

My only reservation is really that I don't know the extent of what I'm sacrificing with the 12 fret style. This is a very unusual guitar for me, and I'm hesitant to have it become my main axe.

Would appreciate comments from anyone about this guitar specifically, and or anyone who converted to 12 fret guitars!
Old 06-17-2017, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

If you like a skinnier nut, it might be worthwhile to check out the new Guilds. Nice all around guitar for different styles, and you can opt for USA or offshore depending on budget wishes. Both are good quality constructs. I recently got a Martin DRS1 for the retail standard price and am pleasantly surprised also. Lots of good guitars out there nowadays.
Old 06-17-2017, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sXFan View Post
So after revisiting the guitar store I am very much caught between the Taylor 322ce 12 Fret and the Takamine P3NC. In terms of tone, its kind of boiled down to the 12 fret having more bass/boom and the Takamine having some more twang, and more volume. They are completely different animals and one isn't better than the other. To the Tak's credit it is significantly cheaper.

My gut is telling me to go with the Taylor. I know everyone talks about how it is a great fingerstyle guitar, but honestly playing that thing with a pick is what won me over, unbelievable richness and depth.

My only reservation is really that I don't know the extent of what I'm sacrificing with the 12 fret style. This is a very unusual guitar for me, and I'm hesitant to have it become my main axe.

Would appreciate comments from anyone about this guitar specifically, and or anyone who converted to 12 fret guitars!
Twelve fret guitars have a unique tone because the design moves the bridge back deeper into the body of the guitar and moves the top differently than a standard 14 fret. If you like the way this guitar sounds then go for it the only drawback would be if you like to spend a lot of time playing way up the neck.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
214ce, 322ce, p3nc, takamine, taylor