The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-23-2018, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackedtop View Post
I tried these strings by accident on my Stratocaster (meant to buy regular D'ADDARIO XL's as the package looks almost identical) and my guitar just did not like them!
Ummm ... almost identical?

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 09-24-2018, 01:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpnfan View Post
I was just checking the offers from D'Addario for "balanced" acoustic sets.

Their data seems to be plain (pun intended) wrong.

They state that the balanced set 12-52 would have a 18 B-string with a tension exactly the same like the 16 B-string in the 12-53………
Yes, it should read 0.016 not 0.018. Amazingly it has been wrong on their site for months without correction....

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube
Old 09-24-2018, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Ummm ... almost identical?

My ' almost 'identical comment' was in reference to ELECTRIC regular XL110's vs. ' balanced tension XL - and the packages are very similar

no reference to the Nickel Bronze Acoustic strings ( which are nice, but $$!)
Old 09-24-2018, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodB View Post
Yes, it should read 0.016 not 0.018. Amazingly it has been wrong on their site for months without correction....
Thanks for the correction. Then the "balance" makes sense.
Old 10-27-2022, 05:45 PM

Default Did you ever get any worthwhile responses to your question

LivesForever,

Did you ever get any worthwhile responses to your question? More importantly, did you try out the balanced tension strings and if so, what did you think?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivesForever View Post
Have any of you tried D'Addario's Balanced Tension strings? I'm especially interested in the Nickel Bronze sets, because I really loved the NB Bluegrass gauge strings. It looks like the Balanced Tension Mediums have slightly less total tension, and an even feel seems like a good idea.

Also, I really prefer the sound of Mediums, but I've had wrist problems when I use them. How does the BT sound compare with regular mediums?
Old 09-17-2023, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

Old thread, but I just discovered these strings. I was looking for a good medium-light set for my 00-17 and discovered the 13.5s. Put on the nickel bronze set but swapped a light 16 b string and medium 13 high e. Tension is not much higher than a set of lights, and the tone is full and rich. Great strings!
Old 09-18-2023, 12:37 AM

I find it bizarre that D'Addario could come out with such an esoteric set of strings as this and yet apparently are reluctant to create Dadgad sets in their XS and XT ranges because they think the demand isn't there!

Robbie
Huss and Dalton T-0014 (ex Albert Lee)
Brook Lamorna (2022) (borrowed)
Jose Marques custom OM (borrowed)
Old 09-20-2023, 06:21 PM
Charter Member

(Yes old thread, but maybe still relevant)…. tried a few different “balanced” sets but they left me wanting something more on the tone front. A good example is D’Addario NB’s. I VERY much like the “regular” NB’s but found the tone of the balanced sets “boring”. I’ve not seen any data that says tone benefits from having all 6 strings at the same tension, so can only guess the design is more about feel than tone,,,?
Old 09-20-2023, 06:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmel555 View Post
(Yes old thread, but maybe still relevant)…. tried a few different “balanced” sets but they left me wanting something more on the tone front. A good example is D’Addario NB’s. I VERY much like the “regular” NB’s but found the tone of the balanced sets “boring”. I’ve not seen any data that says tone benefits from having all 6 strings at the same tension, so can only guess the design is more about feel than tone,,,?
I’ve not noticed the tone is any different vs the “regular” NBs. Maybe you got a bad set? What I like about the 13.5 balanced set is that the A, D, & G strings are light gauge, but the low e is medium, and the b and high e are thicker too. I change my D18 and 00-17 strings at the same time and put the 13.5 on my dread and take the 13 from the medium set on the D18 for the 00. Gives a little more richness and volume in just the right places on that guitar.

Kind of like the Lawrence Juber Martin retro strings. Light middles and medium low e and high two.

I think you’re right though. The marketing angle is the FEEL of balanced tension strings. Not sure that matters to me a whole lot.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
strings