The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-16-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Fay View Post
The above answers your first question. For your second question, Redwood splits very easily -- any kind of stress could be an issue. Too much humidity is not good at all. Low humidity is the worst but high humidity isn't good either. If you can't maintain the proper humidity then I definitely would rule out Redwood -- quite honestly, I would also rule out any spending much money on a quality wood guitar. In their place, I would recommend a good quality carbon fiber guitar (Rainsong, Blackbird, and Emerald make some very nice instruments).

Again, my recommendation is some type of Spruce/Rosewood.

Best of luck to you and whatever decision you make, I hope you are thrilled with the outcome.
Hi Simon, thank you showing interest and providing so much support in my quest. The general consensus seems to be Spruce/Rosewood and I suppose I would be foolish not to heed such advice. Joel Michaud holds you in high regard and he too suggests a Spruce/Rosewood combination as a safe bet.

The Spruces that Lowden offers are Sitka, Alpine and Adirondack. I am supposing Alpine would be the best top for a fingerstyle guitar. The rosewood options are Cocobolo, Madagascar and Honduran. If I'm not mistaken, Cocobolo as well is prone to cracks and is a hit or miss tonewood, so should I even still consider it?

I do keep my room under controlled humidity levels ~50% so the guitar should fare well and I have had experience with handling high end guitars here in Singapore. I have tried carbon fibre guitars before and as much as I have tried to like them, they just don't sound like wood. I will definitely get one in the future but am currently looking for a wooden guitar. Thanks for the suggestion though
Old 09-16-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post

The Spruces that Lowden offers are Sitka, Alpine and Adirondack. I am supposing Alpine would be the best top for a fingerstyle guitar. The rosewood options are Cocobolo, Madagascar and Honduran. If I'm not mistaken, Cocobolo as well is prone to cracks and is a hit or miss tonewood, so should I even still consider it?

I do keep my room under controlled humidity levels ~50% so the guitar should fare well and I have had experience with handling high end guitars here in Singapore. I have tried carbon fibre guitars before and as much as I have tried to like them, they just don't sound like wood. I will definitely get one in the future but am currently looking for a wooden guitar. Thanks for the suggestion though
Nothing wrong with Sitka; I chose it for my recently commissioned guitar - almost exclusively for fingerstyle. Lowden speak highly of redwood/Tasmanian - why not go with George?
Old 09-18-2014, 09:54 AM

Hi Marcus, you may want to check out George Lowden's series on youtube called 'every guitar has a voice' where he describes in depth wood choices. I think there are 7 videos in the series.

Here is the first one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lov_ystdnUA

Danny

Last edited by dantin; 09-18-2014 at 10:00 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-18-2014, 10:25 AM

I wouldn't even rule out the very pedestrian Indian rosewood. Lowden has some very nice sets and on a 50 series, you should be able to specify the very best and get something with a wonderful tap tone. Ditto with Sitka. There are reasons that both are the most popular guitar woods and it isn't only because they are plentiful and inexpensive.

Add your eye candy with a gorgeous binding, bevel, and soundhole edge - maybe highly figured koa or snakewood?
that's me on guitar
Old 09-18-2014, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Howell View Post
Nothing wrong with Sitka; I chose it for my recently commissioned guitar - almost exclusively for fingerstyle. Lowden speak highly of redwood/Tasmanian - why not go with George?
+1 Sitka in under-valued IMO because it is common and doesn't have that creamy white appearance; but I really like Sitka and think it's an excellent soundboard material. In fact, one of the best sounding guitars I've played in recent months has been a Sitka/Cocobolo 14-fret "000".

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 09-18-2014, 09:57 PM

I think for the sound board, George prefers cedar and redwood...

Last edited by Fsgeek; 09-19-2014 at 03:25 AM.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
I mainly play modern finger style with my nails. Altered/dropped tunings, hammers, harmonics, percussion. Basically the style of a lot of the Candyrat artists.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fsgeek View Post
I think for the sound board, George prefers cedar and redwood...
Does George prefer to listen to the music of the Candyrat artists, or does that just not matter?

George
Old 09-25-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Howell View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by royd View Post
I wouldn't even rule out the very pedestrian Indian rosewood. Lowden has some very nice sets and on a 50 series, you should be able to specify the very best and get something with a wonderful tap tone. Ditto with Sitka. There are reasons that both are the most popular guitar woods and it isn't only because they are plentiful and inexpensive.

Add your eye candy with a gorgeous binding, bevel, and soundhole edge - maybe highly figured koa or snakewood?
Quote:
Originally Posted by drplayer View Post
+1 Sitka in under-valued IMO because it is common and doesn't have that creamy white appearance; but I really like Sitka and think it's an excellent soundboard material. In fact, one of the best sounding guitars I've played in recent months has been a Sitka/Cocobolo 14-fret "000".
Thanks for the suggestion guys, without which I think I would have overlooked sitka. I'll definitely ask the Lowden team for sitka if they feel that they have a better piece for it than the other spruces that would suit me more

Apologies for the delayed reply. Am actually juggling another guitar build at the same time. On another note, I will be posting a NGD thread soon - Michaud OOR Engelmann Koa. So do look out for it too
Old 10-01-2014, 02:46 AM

Hi guys, just a little update. Lowden has finally replied me and they suggested Adirondack Walnut as my combination. He mentioned that Adirondack is warmer and has more clarity than Sitka. And Walnut for clarity without muddiness in bass. However he mentioned that Redwood with walnut/cocobolo/African blackwood would be more ideal tonally, but is not as durable as Spruce which is what would be recommended for me.

If redwood merely results in cosmetic wear and not actually structural damage, I wouldn't mind going for Redwood since Lowden recommends it too. So if any of you have any input in regards to that, would appreciate it.

Also, Adirondack vs Sitka, I've read up on it and it seems to be the general consensus that a good piece of Adirondack would be superior to Sitka. However with the downside of an ugly look. Any input on this would be appreciated too
Old 10-01-2014, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Hi guys, just a little update. Lowden has finally replied me and they suggested Adirondack Walnut as my combination. He mentioned that Adirondack is warmer and has more clarity than Sitka. And Walnut for clarity without muddiness in bass. However he mentioned that Redwood with walnut/cocobolo/African blackwood would be more ideal tonally, but is not as durable as Spruce which is what would be recommended for me.

If redwood merely results in cosmetic wear and not actually structural damage, I wouldn't mind going for Redwood since Lowden recommends it too. So if any of you have any input in regards to that, would appreciate it.

Also, Adirondack vs Sitka, I've read up on it and it seems to be the general consensus that a good piece of Adirondack would be superior to Sitka. However with the downside of an ugly look. Any input on this would be appreciated too

I don't quite understand why Redwood's durability would be a problem? Would you really hammer the top of your guitar through heavy strumming or tapping?

As for the Sitka v Adirondack debate I'm not really sure it boils down to such a simple equation.

The luthier currently building my guitar has had the luxury of hearing me play. He was adamant that Sitka would work best and so I am trusting him on that. On the other hand, I spent the weekend with a luthier who I admire who told me that he always prefers European Spruce. A question of taste I think.

I wold advise you to stick with the Lowden recommendations. You already like their style and sound and so I would trust them whatever they recommend. They are unlikely to build you a dud guitar. I am puzzled by the comments on Redwoos though as this seems to be George's favourite combination with blackwood!

Bottom line. Trust them; they know what they are talking about!
Old 10-01-2014, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
...[snip]....Also, Adirondack vs Sitka, I've read up on it and it seems to be the general consensus that a good piece of Adirondack would be superior to Sitka. However with the downside of an ugly look. Any input on this would be appreciated too
Beauty, or 'ugly', is in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I like some 'character' in the top wood. There are also folks who like/want uniform color, grain, etc and that's fine too. I've had Sitka, Adirondack, and Lutz spruce topped guitars. Each is fine if that particular top (and the luthiers design and execution) produces the tone and responsiveness you desire. However, I do feel each species has some typical characteristics, so that could be a good starting point but when you are dealing with a handbuilt guitar these 'typical characteristics' don't really matter so much as the luthier deals appropriately with each individual set of topwood.

Back to your original question, if you want an Adirondack top that is cosmetically 'perfect' you will probably pay quite a premium for that look (and you may overlook the perfect Adirondack top for your tonal and responsiveness goals). But, if you're not going to be happly with an 'ugly' top then don't go there.

Personally, I do like Adirondack tops a lot but I don't have it as a requirement for any commission I would do. In general, I'd have a bias of Adirondack over Sitka but I'd be very open minded to my builders recommendations. Some builders seem to specialize, or have preferences, with certain species and if you like what they produce that is what matters.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi

Last edited by ChuckS; 10-01-2014 at 08:47 AM.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi guys, just a little update. Lowden has finally replied me and they suggested Adirondack Walnut as my combination.
You have chosen Lowden as your builder--presumably for good reason. If you are not set on a particular wood combination, I think it is EXTREMELY wise to follow the recommendation of George Lowden...

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 10-04-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
You should develop your own taste rather than relying on other peoples' opinions. You are privileged enough to order a Lowden. Do your homework and form an opinion for yourself.

What is "more ideal tonally" supposed to mean anyway?

Quote:
Lowden will not build a guitar that they think will not meet their standards for structural integrity. Now, if you restlessly bang on the guitar like there's no tomorrow, it may come apart regardless of what wood you use. No one here has even seen/heard you play.

Quote:
What does "superior" mean? Wouldn't you think that if a tonewood were universally "superior" to others, everyone and their grandmothers would be using it?

FWIW, Andy McKee's Lowden had a Sitka spruce top.

And what do you want input on? Whether it's worth getting "ugly" wood because it would potentially sound "better"? How can anyone but yourself answer that question?

With all due respect, I don't think these are good questions. You were given very good advice by Simon Fay at the beginning of this thread. The rest is over thinking and lack of personal opinion.
Old 10-04-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
Lowden will not build a guitar that they think will not meet their standards for structural integrity. Now, if you restlessly bang on the guitar like there's no tomorrow, it may come apart regardless of what wood you use. No one here has even seen/heard you play.

With all due respect, I don't think these are good questions. You were given very good advice by Simon Fay at the beginning of this thread. The rest is over thinking and lack of personal opinion.
Hi Mau, here is an example of my playing --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNYd...qt5SoYPqMMnPfQ

And yes, I agree with you. I do see that I have been overthinking and lack a personal opinion. I'm just new to this guitar buying process and have my irrational fears which I'm learning to overcome. Apologies to anyone I have exasperated in the process.
Old 10-04-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Hi Mau, here is an example of my playing --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNYd...qt5SoYPqMMnPfQ

And yes, I agree with you. I do see that I have been overthinking and lack a personal opinion. I'm just new to this guitar buying process and have my irrational fears which I'm learning to overcome. Apologies to anyone I have exasperated in the process.
Wow that's some really nice playing.

You know how to play, you're not once of those kids who don't know what they're doing and slam their guitars like crazy. Your style is far from aggressive and as per Mike Dawes himself, he's barely touching the guitar... No matter what wood you choose for the top, you're not going to break the guitar by playing like this.

That being said I'd still go for spruce if I were you. It has nothing to do with stiffness, structural integrity, etc. Just based on that one clip of yours, for sound I think spruce would be the best match -- but don't let my opinion influence you...

Good luck with your build.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
40th anniversary lowden, cocobolo, cuban mahogany, fanned fret guitars, ziricote