The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-25-2013, 03:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
....You need to consider the temperature (as well as elevation/barometric pressure).
I would suggest that for our purposes it is not necessary to consider these.

The expansion / contraction in the wood of our guitars is as a result of changes in it's Equilibrium Moisture Content (EMC) not the moisture content in air. The main contributor to this is Relative Humidity. Whilst there is a small temperature effect this is not significant in the range of temperatures to which we would expose our guitars. The Hailwood-Horrobin equation actually demonstrates this.

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube
Old 09-25-2013, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
We'll just have to disagree on this one.
I'm okay with that.

Quote:
The equalibrium moisture content (EMC) of the bound and free water in wood is based upon...
In dried lumber, free water content is irrelevant is it not?
Old 09-25-2013, 07:14 AM

hovering around 90% here on the west coast o' Scotland cloud base is <> 300ft - I'm in the clouds
Old 09-25-2013, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

Default But riddle me this...:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
I'm okay with that.

In dried lumber, free water content is irrelevant is it not?
Agreed, in dried lumber ~6-8% is mostly bound water. It does not change my point.

Temperature by month in NYC:

Relative Humidity by Month in NYC:

Why is it dryer in the winter in my house when outside we have 45-90%RH? Why do guitars crack and dry out? Its plenty moist isn't it? The colder air at 60% RH holds very little moisture and the equilibrium in the wood was established at a higher temperature and therefore a higher atmospheric molar concentration.

This was the point that I was illustrating in my earlier post. Air in the mid 80s F holds 2x the moisture of air in the 60s F. Moisture will move in and out of the wood at a different flux based on the molar concentration in the atmosphere and not "%RH".

Glad we're still friends though!
Old 09-25-2013, 02:34 PM

I'm going to answer this question definitively, so everyone pay attention. The answer is:

It depends.

If the humidity is making your guitar do funky things, like raising the action on the one extreme or cracking on the other, then it's a problem.

Every guitar is unique. Keep an eye on your guitar and take the appropriate measures.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
humidity