The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-18-2021, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Over the years, I don’t think there is one guitar I’ve owned that I haven’t thought about selling at one point or another. Even if it was something I was perfectly satisfied with, there is always something higher on the food chain to catch my fancy. However, there is a difference between toying with the idea, and actually listing it in the AGF classifieds. Once I’ve put it there, it’s mentally 2/3 out the door already. Just a matter of time before it is physically gone.
Sadly I have been through so many guitars in the search for my Excaliber. At this point I realize there will always be another guitar that I think I need until I get it. Then I realize that maybe the trade was not a trade up. I learned this way too late in my journey
Old 01-18-2021, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotso View Post
Sadly I have been through so many guitars in the search for my Excaliber. At this point I realize there will always be another guitar that I think I need until I get it. Then I realize that maybe the trade was not a trade up. I learned this way too late in my journey
I've had a few "lateral" trades myself...seems the grass is always greener til you cross the fence?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 01-18-2021, 12:32 PM

I mentioned this on another thread.
I sent my 2000 SCGC Model F Cutaway to a friend in California for a sea trial.
If he liked the Bass response and the playability he would buy......He loved it.
I told him to take all the time he needed to evaluate the guitar.
During the try out period he received another guitar (a Furch ) he had ordered.
I was getting "almost" sellers remorse the day I shipped the F to him and it only got worse as he told me how much he liked it.
he called and said that he could not afford both........with out hesitation I said "No Worries Mate , just send the SC on back to Florida.
A very close thing but it's now rejoined the Ramuda and I am done buying and selling guitars......I'm an old fart who will enjoy what I have and give the Ramuda to the Niece and Nephew.

Life is a journey...not a guided tour...
Old 01-18-2021, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

Recently i almost sold my Furch D32LM.(Think D-18 on steroids). The sale was going to fund a D-35ambertone. After a string change and a socially distant jam with a friend I decided it would be foolish to sell the furch. My Jam buddy was in agreement and said I would be a fool to sell the guitar.

Still, I am looking for a D-35 to call my own.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 01-18-2021, 01:02 PM

Nearly sold my one and only guitar, my '69 00-18. Not because I was unhappy with it, but because I was broke. Couldn't do it in the end, there's just something about this guitar, I knew I'd regret it bitterly if I let it go so I cobbled together a bunch of smaller stuff to sell (recording gear, mics etc.) and got the cash I needed to survive and still be able to hang on to my guitar.
Old 01-18-2021, 01:29 PM

Martin Tim O'Brien 00-18 #31 out 100
Nuff said

The young man knows the rules, but the old man knows the exceptions. ~Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

"‎We all go Do, Re, Mi, but you've gotta find all the other notes yourself."
― Louis Armstrong
Old 01-18-2021, 01:41 PM
AGF Sponsor

I nearly sold my Santa Cruz koa OM twice in the 20 years that I have owned it, I'm not sure what I was thinking, and now I'll never sell it.
Old 01-18-2021, 01:50 PM
Guitar Gourmet

There's one in every crowd: mine is an electric. My first nice guitar was an electric, a '74 Kalamazoo-built Gibson Les Paul Standard that I bought used in '78. It has played more gigs and sessions than I could count. But when my family was young, every time we faced a financial stress it was the only thing of any value I could offer to sell to relieve the stress. Time and time again I brought it to the table and time and time again my lovely wife said, "No, we'll find another way." And we did. So, I still have my first nice guitar.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-18-2021, 02:04 PM

Default Thankfully I kept it!

This past December I almost sold my Martin D Mahogany 09 but thankfully came to my senses. I was in need of the cash and reasoned my Seagull Coastline Momentum HG A/E sounded "just as good". It turns out the Seagull is an excellent guitar and fill it's role beautifully but in no way does it sound "just as good" The Martin is an amazing sounding guitar. The European Spruce over Genuine Mahogany with Golden Era bracing is an excellent combination. Money comes and goes but I don't believe I would ever have a chance to own a better sounding guitar. I'm thankful I changed my mind and kept it.
Old 01-18-2021, 03:04 PM

My Larrivee L-30 nylon (Cedar/EIR).

About a decade ago, I was jonesing for an archtop. Hadn't played the Larrivee for almost a year, pulled it out of the case and played it for about 20 minutes, and began wondering what kind of crazystupid had overcome me.

Nowadays I play it about once per week (in rotation with three other acoustics).
Old 01-18-2021, 04:02 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
There's one in every crowd: mine is an electric. My first nice guitar was an electric, a '74 Kalamazoo-built Gibson Les Paul Standard that I bought used in '78. It has played more gigs and sessions than I could count. But when my family was young, every time we faced a financial stress it was the only thing of any value I could offer to sell to relieve the stress. Time and time again I brought it to the table and time and time again my lovely wife said, "No, we'll find another way." And we did. So, I still have my first nice guitar.

Bob
Beautiful guitar Bob, I'm glad it never got away from you. I have the same one but mine is a '77 that I bought in '83. Best electric neck I've ever played.
Old 01-18-2021, 07:47 PM

My Taylor 114e
Old 01-18-2021, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH Acoustic View Post
Hi all,

Just had a close call with a guitar, that I was initially thinking of selling.

It is a Cocobolo Taylor GS. I've had it since early Fall 2020, and have tried to play in my (2) guitar styles, as the 'only' instrument, and it was't the best match. The guitar uses red (Adirondack) spruce for the bracing, and the top. It has a punch, clarity, and note separation that is uncanny. I thought it was too much - for my switching from rhythm to finger style in a single song.

I had occasion to record a song yesterday for the first time, with a Walnut Taylor that I specced with Sitka bracing for this reason -- which turns out to have been exactly the right decision, as that guitar is generally perfect for my style(s) so far. However, last night, as I was listening to some track loops of the rhythm guitar, I became curious what the Cocobolo / Adi would sound as a lead instrument over top.

I was stunned at how well the tone profile fit into the song. I immediately pulled the "For Sale" listing down, and am calling this a keeper. Clearly, I just need to learn more styles!

So, now the question for you:
  • Which guitar did you almost sell, but came to your senses - and what made the decision final?

-a.h.

I think you got lucky. I kept seeing that in the classifieds wondering to myself "how is that thing not sold?"
Old 01-18-2021, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPDOGJIM View Post
Sadly I wish I could play along but I’ve sold everything I put up for sale. I wish I could get at least two of them back.
Same here.
Old 01-18-2021, 08:19 PM

Came really close to trading my Lowden away a few months ago. Was thinking something a little smaller and short scale. My wife killed the deal do to sentimental value attached to that guitar. To me, my Lowden is a special guitar and it has a very different personality from the others I have. Would not have minded having the guitar I was considering at all, but I am really glad the Lowden stayed here. Gets played about 5 or 6 days a week. It’s earmarked for one of my God sons who is a wonderful player.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
adirondack, cocobolo, keeper, red spruce, taylor gs