The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2020, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

Default Steinegger D-45

***SOLD***
Up for sale is a very rare find, a D-45 built by Oregon-based luthier Bob Steinegger. Check out the video demo here:

https://youtu.be/zLhExcNk01M

If you haven’t heard of Steinegger, it could be because his guitars almost never come up for re-sale. He has been building since 1969 and got his first big break with a commission from Phil Everly (The Everly Brothers) to build a “better” version of the Gibson Everly Brothers model once Phil’s Gibson endorsement expired. Steinegger has built guitars for both of the Everlys as well as Paul McCartney, George Harrison, songwriter Pat Alger, and many other major players and writers.

This particular guitar, which was built in 1998, sounds incredible – seriously one of the best Martin-style guitars I have ever played. Beautiful (and light!) Brazilian Rosewood back/sides, Engelmann spruce top (as loud and powerful as any Adirondack I’ve played), 1 ¾” nut width, 2 ¼” string spacing, gold Waverly tuners, abalone inlay on the top, sides, and back. (The snowflake inlay is not typical of a D-45, but the extensive inlay along the binding is.)

I acquired this guitar from Carter Vintage Guitars here in Nashville. There’s only one significant change: I had the bridge replaced (and the original bridge inlays kept and inlaid in the new bridge) by the highly respected Glaser Instruments because the original string spacing was pretty wide – a little too wide to flatpick comfortably. There’s almost no wear to speak of except for a couple nicks on the back of the neck (photo provided if necessary).

I purchased this guitar with the intent to keep it and am only listing it because of the current economic climate (i.e., loss of gigs). The original list price at Carter’s was $9,500; I’m asking $8,900 + shipping. Although the money may be more valuable to me at this point, I would be happy keeping this guitar as well, so I am not in a rush to sell.

Thanks for looking!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Full.jpg (55.8 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg Top.jpg (59.2 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg Back.jpg (64.3 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg Headstock.jpg (46.7 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg Headstock Back.jpg (36.1 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg Sides Inlay.jpg (53.4 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg Chip on Neck.jpg (31.2 KB, 191 views)

Last edited by forrestoconnor; 09-03-2020 at 07:43 AM.
Old 08-25-2020, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

Good luck with your sale. That is one smoking set of straight grained Brazilian there............

I'm sure that thing sounds like a million bucks.........for a fraction of the cost! LOL!!
  • Takamine 2006 Ltd.
  • Takamine EAC48C
  • Takamine ESF40C
  • Tama #3561 Dread
  • Whelan Dreadnought
  • Whelan Grand Auditorium
  • Yamaki YW-80
Old 08-25-2020, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

Yeah the Brazilian is awesome -- and it's a surprisingly lightweight guitar too!
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Tags
abalone, d-45, dreadnought, martin, steinegger