The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-30-2020, 12:56 PM

If you feel really adventurous and competent to do it, Bagdanovich also makes a very small fret levelling kit for around $20US you could check out (search bagdanovich fret kit online and it should come up). If fret 2 gives you a buzz, it is either too low, or one of the frets that come after it (ie, 3, 4,5.. by the sound it makes you can usually tell which fret it is ringing on and most likely it is on the fret right up from buzzing fret) are a little high. There are videos online of how to use it. I suggest extreme caution with doing this though. Not that people can't do it, it's not hard. But, problems with these things aren't always apparent at first. Just go very slow and be very careful and thoughtful or it could cost you a re-fret job.

If you really screw up the guitar, remember I said to be very careful! hahaha... Watch a bunch of videos on fret levelling before attempting anything like this.

When you make a new saddle, keep the old one in good condition just in case you need it!

Martin
Gibson J-45 Standard 2020
Old 07-30-2020, 01:03 PM

I feel like I'm a long ways from messing with the frets myself! I can be handy, but I know I'll screw it up. The saddle work is likely within the range of my capabilities, but there'll be great unhappiness if I touch the frets. Maybe one day!
Old 07-30-2020, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreDrummer View Post
Good call.

To think buying a $350 RK and it will be set up ***PERFECTLY*** right out of the box is fantasy, so if you are not a DIY’er you’d be laying out money to get that one right, anyway. Heck, even most new Martins require a little tweaking to get it set up exactly to the individual player’s preference.
New Martins have the most brutal un playably high action out of any new guitars on the wall I've ever tried haha
Old 07-30-2020, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_F View Post
If you feel really adventurous and competent to do it, Bagdanovich also makes a very small fret levelling kit for around $20US you could check out (search bagdanovich fret kit online and it should come up). If fret 2 gives you a buzz, it is either too low, or one of the frets that come after it (ie, 3, 4,5.. by the sound it makes you can usually tell which fret it is ringing on and most likely it is on the fret right up from buzzing fret) are a little high. There are videos online of how to use it. I suggest extreme caution with doing this though. Not that people can't do it, it's not hard. But, problems with these things aren't always apparent at first. Just go very slow and be very careful and thoughtful or it could cost you a re-fret job.

If you really screw up the guitar, remember I said to be very careful! hahaha... Watch a bunch of videos on fret levelling before attempting anything like this.

When you make a new saddle, keep the old one in good condition just in case you need it!

Martin
I was going to suggest this as well, but wasn't sure if the OP is up for it. I actually have a broken piece of file that fits across three frets on most frets of most guitars and I use that as my fret rocker to test for high frets. Then I take the same file and (gingerly) file the offending fret down in the appropriate place (for the respective string) accounting for string bends. I use a polishing compound and cloth to finish it. I know I'm not getting the crown profile right, but it gets the job done and makes the buzzing go away, without paying $75+ for a complete fret-level.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
recommendations, recording king, yamaha, yamahafg830