The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-14-2017, 01:48 AM

Default Guitar Buying Advice

Hi all, my first time posting here. Really need some advice in purchasing my next big guitar. I've been looking at a used Martin OMJM for awhile, but I'm looking for alternatives as well, such as a used Bourgeois 00 or one of the newer Bedell models such as the Coffee House Orchestra or maybe a Martin OM-28 something.

Abit of background I usually play a 000-15M and I love it, but I'm looking for abit more clarity and brightness than a full hog guitar. Owned a couple of Taylors but I feel that kind of brightness is a bit too much, I prefer the warmer Martin tone. Huge Mayer fan thats why I was eyeing the OMJM haha, but I feel I may be paying more than abit for the signature on the guitar...

Any thoughts or advice? Thanks!!!
Old 06-14-2017, 02:00 AM

Play them all and then decide. Buying a signature guitar just because you like the artist will not fly in the long run. The OMJM is based on a newer design, you may or may not like it. OM28 is more a traditional Martin design and sound. Only you know what you like. I would go for the OM28 or Bourgeois 00 myself.

Or do like me, find a 90's Martin that someone already played the crap out of. Vintage tone, good price.

Lowden S25c - The Tool "Flying D" prototype - Heritage Eagle - MJT Thinline Telecaster - Fender CS 56 Stratocaster
Old 06-14-2017, 05:36 AM

Play a lot of guitars....decide for yourself.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 06-14-2017, 05:45 AM

Easy: used Collings OM2H - just about the best sounding OM I've ever played. Blows the OMJM out of the water.
Old 06-14-2017, 05:46 AM

Lot of great build of fantastic OM out there, "try" a used Martin OM 28 V!

Don't Think Twice It's Alright
Old 06-14-2017, 06:01 AM
Charter Member

Welcome aboard, Matt. Unless there's something very unique about your hands/fingers, playing style and/or wants/needs, I don't believe that you can go wrong with a Martin OM-28. It's the Martin I would own if I were a Martin guy....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 06-14-2017, 11:55 PM

Thanks for the help! What about a Collings 0002H 12 fret? How will that compare to the Bourgeois 00 or the Collings OM2H? It's my first big purchase of this level I'm really taking my time here haha
Old 06-15-2017, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boombox View Post
Easy: used Collings OM2H - just about the best sounding OM I've ever played. Blows the OMJM out of the water.
I have the exact opposite opinion and experience. Which is why I agree with the below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
Play a lot of guitars....decide for yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankhond View Post
Play them all and then decide....
Old 06-15-2017, 12:44 AM

If you feel the Taylor is too bright but you're looking for something brighter than a Martin, you should check in on Stonebridge/Furch Guitars. They have a few OM models in a similar price range to a Martin OM28 (Just a bit more if you're looking at a used OM28) but if you're looking to find something you will really love it is worth checking in on. The Stonebridge OM34 is a good place to start. Stonebridge/Furch is pretty well loved among fingerstyle guitarist so if that's your jam I can't recommend them enough
Old 06-15-2017, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

Welcome to the acoustic forum and happy hunting.
Reading here is good research but it can only get you so far.

Unless you are stranded in the center of the province of Saskatchewan I would take a road trip to a few shops. Try to find out what size you prefer.
Sample the brands mostly for neck size, string spacing and basic ergonomic preferences.
Beware that the strings might be a little high on a new guitar and the action can be lowered.
If needed talk to the salesmen as to what you like in feel, size, looks and sound.

Take a friend, if possible, because judging the guitar tone across from someone while playing it really helps.
Try not to buy until you have played a lot. There are Forum sponsor dealers for name brands here, as well.

Enjoy acoustic music.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
bourgeois, john mayer, martin, ooo