The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-29-2016, 08:35 PM

Default Painting/Restoring Martin Case

I have a Martin case like this one:

It's a few years old and it gets lots of scratches and little tears in the covering. I usually glue the rips back down and use enamel paint on the spots that are completely missing the covering.

I've been wondering if I could just mask the sides and spray paint the entire top and bottom. Would that be a problem? What kind of paint would work?
Old 04-03-2016, 09:17 PM

Anybody?

More specifically, I'm asking what kind of paint works on that vinyl-like stuff that the case is covered with.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:24 PM

Mar Hyde vinyl paint which can be found in auto parts stores.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:30 PM

When I had an airplane, one of the things folks would do to repair / restore the really EXPENSIVE and fragile vinyl and plastic trim pieces was SEM automotive paint. It is also used to restore classic car interiors. It stays pliable and sticks to properly prepped plastic very well. It would probably work fine on the vinyl or Tolex used on guitar cases. Google "paint for plastic and vinyl". Here is one source: www.planeplastics.com/accessories/sem-color-coat

Also check with any luggage repair serves nearby. Repairing luggage would be similar to repairing a guitar case.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:43 PM

Thank you both. What would look most like a new case: flat, satin or semigloss?
Old 04-04-2016, 07:46 AM

Satin. I have successfully used Mar Hyde on car interiors but I'm not sure if it's going to stand up to the rigors of a guitar case.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
case, martin, paint, repair, restoration