The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-07-2013, 11:46 AM

Question Acoustic Unfinished spruce top..oil?

I have a Martin DX I just purchased. After researching I can't find the info I need when it comes to what type of oil should I use on the unfinished body.i know to use lemon or tung oil on the neck,but the spruce body seems vulnerable to Knicks and scratches.i don't mind that as it adds some character but what are some preventative measures I can take? I have a case and keep it in the right temp/humidity but I want to oil it somehow,give it some luster and protection against my greasy fingers!
Old 01-07-2013, 12:18 PM

You bought a martin with an unfinished body...?? How strange. Please describe more.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 01-07-2013, 12:23 PM

I don't know anything about Martin DX guitars but I cannot imagine that they would be produced without a finish on them. After a quick Google search I do not see anything that suggests they are unfinished.

Are you talking about how to clean the guitar and what guitar cleaner to use?

I'm of the opinion that any oil finish doesn't belong on any part of the guitar unless you are talking about tru-oil which is different.

Anyway just verify what you mean, is it a finish you are after or a cleaner?
Old 01-07-2013, 12:58 PM

The back and sides are Formica, which needs nothing. The spruce top has a very light finish on it.
You might try some wax, but I would be afraid oil would soak into the soft spruce.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:22 PM

John....Its not made of formica, its made of high pressure laminate, which everyone knows is...umm...oh never mind.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binion View Post
the spruce body seems vulnerable to Knicks and scratches.i don't mind that as it adds some character but what are some preventative measures I can take? I have a case and keep it in the right temp/humidity but I want to oil it somehow,give it some luster and protection against my greasy fingers!
The Martin DX1 has a solid spruce top with a Satin finish from the factory, you don't need to put anything on the top for protection.
Satin finishes are dull by nature as opposed to a shiny gloss finish. Your only option for giving the finish some luster is to buff the top out with rubbing compound to bring it to semi-gloss, I would not recommend this, just play and enjoy your new Martin.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtime View Post
The Martin DX1 has a solid spruce top with a Satin finish from the factory, you don't need to put anything on the top for protection.
Satin finishes are dull by nature as opposed to a shiny gloss finish. Your only option for giving the finish some luster is to buff the top out with rubbing compound to bring it to semi-gloss, I would not recommend this, just play and enjoy your new Martin.

What he said. Its already got a rubbed satin finish. Doesnt need anything. And as tony pointed out the back and sides are HPL.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:08 PM

Zeke I might be wrong but if its a satin factory finish I would think it would be off the gun and not induced by rubbing.

Jeff.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:11 AM

Oh no, Formica Martins. Whatever next..
Yamaha CPX-700/12
Yamaha LS16
Yamaha FG-300
Yamaha FG-580
Vox V2000-DR

+ electric guitars..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
acoustic, body, oil, spruce, unfinished