The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-02-2018, 07:11 AM

Default 12 string jumbo in New Standard/Fripp/mandotar tuning?

After messing with New Standard/Fripp/mandotar tuning C G D A E B on a couple of 6 strings, I'm about to string a 12 in this tuning. I'm a fiddle player, and I can pick fiddle tunes much more easily with the 4 middle strings same notes as fiddle and mandolin. I found on 6 that adding 2/3 string partial chords as you go is not too hard. My cunning plan is that the 12 should give a fuller sound on partial chords and on single melody notes.

If you've tried this tuning, you'll know that resources are kinda scarce outside the Fripp circle of Crafty guitarists, who tend to play non standard music of their own devising. I can't find anything on playing a 12 like this, although from my 6 string experiments I don't expect stringing or voicing to be a problem (on a Guild jumbo 12). Anybody tried it, have any tips, or can point me at any vids or sites with ideas on it?

Thanks, Max

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion