The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-27-2018, 11:12 PM

Default Could 3/32” break my hand?

I’ve had my new Yairi DYM60HD for about a week now, and for almost that same amount of time have had nagging pain in my wrist, and what started in my pinky and ring finger carpals is now in the thumb tendon.

My other most played guitars are my Yairi DYMR70SB with a 1 13/16” nut, and my D18 with 1 1/4” nut. New guitar has a 1 23/32” nut. Neck profile seems the same as the other Yairi, which is very comfortable.

I havent been playing more than usual. In fact i’ve been busy and playing less than usual.

What gives? Am I just suddenly old?
Old 05-27-2018, 11:16 PM

Maybe the action at the nut is higher on this guitar? Neck profile same? different? Hands(fingers) are so sensitive. We can notice the most minor differences with action, nut width and neck width obviously. ....

My YouTube

Facebook

"Only by becoming acquainted with your own self,
can you gain the composure to write original music"

Michael Hedges ♫
Old 05-27-2018, 11:28 PM

Try going metric and see if that helps.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 05-27-2018, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fngrstyl View Post
Maybe the action at the nut is higher on this guitar? Neck profile same? different? Hands(fingers) are so sensitive. We can notice the most minor differences with action, nut width and neck width obviously. ....

If anything the action is lower than I like. Neck profile is the same as my other Yairis.
Old 05-27-2018, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post

From my cold, dead hands. . .
Old 05-28-2018, 09:01 AM

Bumped for the medical opinions of the masses.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:38 AM

Is the depth from the back of the neck through to the top of the frets the same? Do you feel like you are squeezing the same distance between your thumb and fingers when fretting compared to your other guitars?
Old 05-28-2018, 12:26 PM

I know zip about D18 guitars but did you mean to type 1-3/4"?

On the hand issue, you're ranging between 23, 24 and 26/32nds of an inch between guitars, with the most recent being 23/32nds. How you manipulate your fretting hand between guitars is probably the same (muscle memory). Is the scale length of the new arrival the same or longer? Extending a bit away from the body can ask the wrist to adapt to a new angle, even if slight, and that might place a kink on a nerve bundle that was not previously experienced.

Anecdotal - I use a capo to bring my arm closer to my body to learn new stuff. As I become adept at playing them I move out to the pitch I prefer. I've just always done that to lessen the wrist angle during tune development. Early on I found myself feeling spent when trying to make the wrist adapt to a progression that tasked it with supporting a hand that was performing many fast changes. I called them my training frets (like bicycle training wheels). That's why my fret boards were always evenly worn up to the 7th fret. While not a recommended method for teaching new students, it should have an honorable mention as an option for the physically challenged.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
I know zip about D18 guitars but did you mean to type 1-3/4"?

On the hand issue, you're ranging between 23, 24 and 26/32nds of an inch between guitars, with the most recent being 23/32nds. How you manipulate your fretting hand between guitars is probably the same (muscle memory). Is the scale length of the new arrival the same or longer? Extending a bit away from the body can ask the wrist to adapt to a new angle, even if slight, and that might place a kink on a nerve bundle that was not previously experienced.

Anecdotal - I use a capo to bring my arm closer to my body to learn new stuff. As I become adept at playing them I move out to the pitch I prefer. I've just always done that to lessen the wrist angle during tune development. Early on I found myself feeling spent when trying to make the wrist adapt to a progression that tasked it with supporting a hand that was performing many fast changes. I called them my training frets (like bicycle training wheels). That's why my fret boards were always evenly worn up to the 7th fret. While not a recommended method for teaching new students, it should have an honorable mention as an option for the physically challenged.

I definitely meant 1 3/4”. I havent taken the time to measure the depth, but my hand is feeling better so I think I’ve adjusted. I am also spending more time capoed, which may be indeed helping, thanks!
Old 05-31-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
That's just silly, everyone know Whitworth is better.
et al
Old 06-18-2018, 06:36 PM

Default Hand aching

For your hand or wrist pain, try finger, wrist, elbow stretches and icing after playing (read Joe Satriani does that after concerts).

Try lighter gauge strings for a month or two if you don't wanna just put the guitar down for a week or two to let your muscles recover.

Have action set as low as possible - James Taylor says, "Set it just before the (strings) buzz."
Old 06-18-2018, 11:19 PM

Do you play with a guitar strap, and if so is it strung low, or when you play do you tend to keep your wrist bent up (or flexed) alot? Only reason I ask is that a surgeon friend of my dad's told him that if you tense up your wrist alot when playing, or do either of the above mentioned things you can cause carpal tunnel syndrome which will get progressively worse over time.
Epiphone Sheraton 2 Pro
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Stratocaster MIM w/ noiseless pickups
Old 06-19-2018, 08:54 AM

lightly stretch before playing your guitars. I helps immensely.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Knox View Post
That's just silly, everyone know Whitworth is better.
To be sure and it is little known, but from personal experience the electro shock therapy from grabbing both the bare positive and negative ends of any hot Lucas circuit is vary palliative

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 06-19-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiousDevil View Post
I definitely meant 1 3/4”. I havent taken the time to measure the depth, but my hand is feeling better so I think I’ve adjusted. I am also spending more time capoed, which may be indeed helping, thanks!
If a capo helps up the neck then the neck is probably too narrow at the nut from the back of the neck to the top of the frets.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion