The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-25-2018, 11:22 AM

I know purchasing "package deal" guitars if discouraged, but how is this one: https://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha/...Guitar-Pack.gc?

The only reason it caught my eye was because it says the Yamaha FDO1S that comes with it has a 'solid spruce top.'

And one other question: who is your favorite acoustic guitarist to listen to? Or, what acoustic guitarist CD should I be listening to that will give me inspiration?

TripleB
Old 05-25-2018, 12:20 PM

Wow!!!! You are doing the same thing I just did with my 12 year old.... Y'all are about the same age too.....

Save some money: get two yamahas. You cannot beat the FG800 or FS800. Great starter guitars. Play them a few months and then upgrade to nice Yamahas or Martins. As an alternative, the Ibanez line is also good.

I have almost lost hin to the dark side (electric), but he will play with me for friends on acoustic. I have probably spent around $6000 on guitars in past year and could have saved a ton if I would have just stuck with yamahas until I figured things out.

Now he plays a Yamaha LL6 and I'm with Martin. We happy right now. Probably j45 in future if I can find one like.

Last advice: play with him every night. I have completely re-bonded with him. He won't sing so I'm doing that and we are having a blast!!! I got him in a couple bands as a pick up player and I haul his stuff. I can't wait until I retire so I can manage him.

Jed
Old 05-25-2018, 12:22 PM

Oh yeah. Forgot to add..... Best weekend to get guitars now. You can get 20% to 30% off at GC and other places
Old 05-25-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jed1894 View Post
Oh yeah. Forgot to add..... Best weekend to get guitars now. You can get 20% to 30% off at GC and other places
They must have known the exact ones I was considering because none of those are on sale!!!

TripleB
Old 05-25-2018, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleB View Post
They must have known the exact ones I was considering because none of those are on sale!!!

TripleB
Call them. They will sometimes do better than the webpage. Same with Musician's Friend, their online arm.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:57 PM

Put the kid in a room full of guitars and let him pick what he/she is drawn to. Once they find it, buy it. I'm not saying spend hundreds of $, but don't pigeon hole yourself into a price bracket, unless you have no other choice.

Kids will continue to use things they really like. If it's not comfortable, or if they just don't jive with the style/look, then it will be hard to keep that interest going. So, if he happens to fall in love with a $400-600 guitar, I'd find a way to get it. You will always be able to get some money back out of it if they bail, but I firmly believe in loving your instrument.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:

TripleB
Are you ordering online or going into store? If local, ask for the manager and tell him you need a discount coupon. I've never, ever paid full price at GC. The sales clerks can give you 10% at counter. That's what I do when the manager is out. You just have to push them. MF will also give you a discount but you have to call them.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:06 PM
AGF Sponsor

Yamaha, Yamaha, Yamaha.

Whenever a friend or family member asks me what to buy under $500, I always say Yamaha. Lots of other great stuff out there, but these folks make $300 guitars with the fit-n-finish and Q/C on par with Martini and Taylor. And they do this with everything in their growing empire.

What a company.

scott memmer
Old 05-25-2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jed1894 View Post
Are you ordering online or going into store? If local, ask for the manager and tell him you need a discount coupon. I've never, ever paid full price at GC. The sales clerks can give you 10% at counter. That's what I do when the manager is out. You just have to push them.
Definitely in store...my son and I have to lay our hands on and hear the guitar before we purchase.

I appreciate the info on getting a discount, as I probably wouldn't have asked and just waited to see if it eventually went on sale.

Out of curiosity, how much does GC typically charge to set up the guitar?

Thanks for the money saving help!

TripleB
Old 05-25-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
Alvarez gets a lot of love around here. I've played more Yamahas over the years than Alvarez' and they'll pump out the occasional dog as well. Judging by the comments in this forum, both are safe bets for the beginner, and the implication that I may have just gotten lucky with the Alvarez I purchased just doesn't hold up.
I was referring to the Alvarez AF615E and it blew the Yamahas out of the water portion of your comment. You're right, I'm sure Alvarez makes very nice guitars... I just got a horrific first impression from them.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Definitely in store...my son and I have to lay our hands on and hear the guitar before we purchase.

I appreciate the info on getting a discount, as I probably wouldn't have asked and just waited to see if it eventually went on sale.

Out of curiosity, how much does GC typically charge to set up the guitar?

Thanks for the money saving help!

TripleB
I do my own setups but I thinks it's around $40 or so. they may give you discount since you buying from them. Ask for that too.
Old 05-25-2018, 07:58 PM

Don’t just buy ur kid a guitar. Get u both guitars and make memory’s that money can’t buy and that he’ll have forever. Even if u got and spend just a hundred or so on each guitar you’ll hav a blast learning to play together. You can always upgrade later when money ain’t so tight
Old 05-25-2018, 10:34 PM

Quote:
I guess this is the 800 series model you're referring to? It has "Folk" in the title, what makes it a "Folk" guitar? https://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha/...stic-Guitar.gc
The FS for the "folk" is because this model is 10mm thinner than the FG and a bit smaller all around. It makes it just a little easier to get your arm around.

Here is a comparison review of the two models.

I'm 5'5" and it's been a good size for me. The other thing that's nice is that it handles a lot of different styles well.

Please do let us know what you get!
Old 05-25-2018, 10:51 PM

Yeah, as just mentioned, "folk" is just another in a long string of words used to designate size/shape. You'd do well to do a google search on "guide to guitar shapes and sizes" and brush up on the different ones.

A brief listing of different ones you should familiarize yourself with, from (roughly) largest to smallest :

Jumbo/SuperJumbo
Dreadnought (classic full size shape)
OM/000
Auditorium
Concert/00
Parlor/0

That's not a strict list, as different builders and brands have varying styles which overlap somewhat.. anyway, I would probably guess the Folk guitar is a reference to size, and nothing else, (and is also what made me think about posting this for your further research and consideration).

I've found that the Taylor website has a wealth of good information for stuff like this, sizes, shapes, different tonewoods, etc. Just be aware that their information isn't definitive; it describes their own line, and others will follow a similar (but often not exact) format.

Good luck!!!
Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku
Old 05-25-2018, 11:10 PM

The reason most are suggesting Yamaha is they are consistently good which is not so common with the others in you list. And the Yammies sound very good at that price point. It would be difficult to be disappointed in them.

That's great that you are learning together!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion