The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-24-2018, 07:37 PM

Default 11 Year Old and Dad's 1st Guitars Advice?

My 11 year old soon to be 7th grader is currently excited because his music teacher at school has been teaching them to play the acoustic guitar....5 or 6 chords and the song Wild Thing by the Troggs.

He has decided that he would love to learn to play the guitar. I thought he would want an electric guitar but he's decided he wants to learn on the acoustic. He said, "the acoustic has a much more natural sound and most of the kids think the electric is cool, but the acoustic is the coolest."

I had an acoustic when I was his age but never put the time and effort into learning how to play it. I thought now (at age 50) would be a great time for me to learn...I think he and I learning together would be a fantastic father and son bonding experience.

Unfortunately, helping put a daughter through college my funds are a bit limited. So knowing I'm going to be purchasing two guitars with not a lot of funds, my options as far as an acoustic guitar are a bit limited.

Several I've found locally that get somewhat decent reviews are:
Rogue RD-80 $90
Mitchell D120 $97
Ibanez GD10 $120
Epiphone PRO-1 $130

Just looking for any advice you can give this old man and his son when looking to purchase our first guitars.

*although he only just turned 11, he's 5'2" 140 pounds, so a pretty big boy...he's held a full size guitar and it looks to be the appropriate size; I've searched locally for used and haven't found anything worth purchasing

Thanks for any and all help!

TripleB

Last edited by TripleB; 05-24-2018 at 07:44 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:42 PM

Get a pair of Yamaha FG 700S or similar (FG800S, FG830S, or what have you). Chances are you can find a good used one locally. These are excellent value and great for a beginner - and for an adult.

'77 Gurian J-R C series
'82 Alvarez-Yairi DY-53 "Silver Harp"
Ibanez AG-95 DBS
70s Ibanez 511
Old 05-24-2018, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleB View Post
He said, "the acoustic has a much more natural sound and most of the kids think the electric is cool, but the acoustic is the coolest."
I love this comment!

Whatever you get for him just make sure it gets a good setup so it will be easier for him to play, and sound so much better. Otherwise he will become frustrated - so start him out right.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabriel_bc View Post
Get a pair of Yamaha FG 700S or similar (FG800S, FG830S, or what have you). Chances are you can find a good used one locally. These are excellent value and great for a beginner - and for an adult.
What he said.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

Learning to play is exciting and challenging at the same time. I’m a firm believer in the “if it’s not comfortable to play”, it hinders the desire and the learning process. The easier it is to play, the more likely he’ll stick with it. In addition to playability, tone is key here as well. If it plays well but sounds unimpressive, it won’t get played either.

I cruised CL, Guitar Centers, etc. when my oldest wanted to learn. Having played for years myself I knew that Yamaha would be a perfect fit. Well built. Great tone. Very comfortable neck profiles. Excellent price point. I’m not sure there is a better value for the money. And if he didn’t stick with it, I’d have a great “beater”. I’ve owned numerous high end guitars and I can honestly say Yamaha’s are fantastic guitars.

I’d suggest (as has been mentioned) a Yamaha. The FS720 would be a great guitar. Or possibly an FG830, or older 730. I bought a mint 730 on CL for $125.

GL in your search. I hope your son continues to pursue music. Best wishes.

Btw, my father taught me to play, I’ve taught my son to play guitar, he’s taught himself bass, my daughter plays keys and uke, sings, and my youngest is playing uke as well. I LOVE the opportunity for the Father/Child bond musically. Not to mention passing down traditions that can move from generation to generation.

AND, we’re helping our oldest son through college as well. So I can completely relate.
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS

Last edited by PTony; 05-24-2018 at 08:10 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:02 PM
Charter Member

Another vote for 2 Yamahas. You can get a decent one new for around 200 bucks.

Have fun with it, very cool thing you guys are doing
Old 05-24-2018, 08:18 PM

Yet another vote for a couple Yamahas. The smaller bodied FS series may be a better fit for your son. I have both an FG and an FS and prefer the smaller FS.

Hard to beat for the price and are very consistently good.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:27 PM

I played a Yamaha FG800 again yesterday and was once again stunned by how good the guitar looked, felt, played, and sounded for a guitar in that price range. I would guess with the holiday this weekend one could snag one of these on a promotion for even less than the already crazy $200 they retail for.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
Yet another vote for a couple Yamahas. The smaller bodied FS series may be a better fit for your son. I have both an FG and an FS and prefer the smaller FS.

Hard to beat for the price and are very consistently good.
Yes, the FS series would also be a great choice.

'77 Gurian J-R C series
'82 Alvarez-Yairi DY-53 "Silver Harp"
Ibanez AG-95 DBS
70s Ibanez 511
Old 05-24-2018, 08:35 PM
Charter Member

I would suggest the Yamahas too. You might think you're saving money by going cheaper, but you really just throwing money down the drain, unless you get lucky and find ones that are set up well and hold tune. At that price point I wouldn't expect that though.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-24-2018, 08:41 PM

Hard to beat Yamaha. Looking at your prices you have listed, I don't think you'd really want to move up to the next price point, which would be $250-350. Even if you did, you wouldn't be getting much more guitar than what Yamaha can offer. I wouldn't recommend a Dean or Mitchell or definitely not a Rogue; if anything, having a guitar that is not well made will *discourage* yall from learning. I would stick to Yamaha, Alvarez, Epiphone, Washburn, Eastman.

I learned on a nylon string guitar, as it "eases" the pain on the fingers- -be prepared for the painfulness until calluses form. Many a would-be student has been put off from playing when they realize -- "hey!! this hurts!!" a couple weeks and it won't hurt anymore, but anyway, you may consider getting a nylon stringed guitar, but different people feel differently about that. I happened to learn on one, and still love them today. My first guitar was a Yamaha nylon crossover, altho I couldn't tell you the model.

Most of all, have fun! Get some free lessons online, learn songs for free on youtube, check out Justinguitar.com(free) and Tony's Acoustic Challenge (a *great* daily lesson site, but it does run about 80 bucks for 3 months... but... try getting 3 months of lessons for 2 people in person for 80 dollars.. never going to happen. tonypolecastro.com for this one- my membership here is almost up and I will definitely be renewing for another 3 months)

Anyway, good luck and definitely this forum is an EXCELLENT resource, I can't stress enough how great the people are here, how knowledgeale and kind the people are here who are willing to impart their wisdom to others.

have fun. this makes me want to buy a guitar for my kids, as I haven't done it yet (but plan to as they get older).

cheers
Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku
Old 05-24-2018, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleB View Post
My 11 year old soon to be 7th grader is currently excited because his music teacher at school has been teaching them to play the acoustic guitar....5 or 6 chords and the song Wild Thing by the Troggs.

He has decided that he would love to learn to play the guitar. I thought he would want an electric guitar but he's decided he wants to learn on the acoustic. He said, "the acoustic has a much more natural sound and most of the kids think the electric is cool, but the acoustic is the coolest."

I had an acoustic when I was his age but never put the time and effort into learning how to play it. I thought now (at age 50) would be a great time for me to learn...I think he and I learning together would be a fantastic father and son bonding experience.

Unfortunately, helping put a daughter through college my funds are a bit limited. So knowing I'm going to be purchasing two guitars with not a lot of funds, my options as far as an acoustic guitar are a bit limited.

Several I've found locally that get somewhat decent reviews are:
Rogue RD-80 $90
Mitchell D120 $97
Ibanez GD10 $120
Epiphone PRO-1 $130

Just looking for any advice you can give this old man and his son when looking to purchase our first guitars.

*although he only just turned 11, he's 5'2" 140 pounds, so a pretty big boy...he's held a full size guitar and it looks to be the appropriate size; I've searched locally for used and haven't found anything worth purchasing

Thanks for any and all help!

TripleB
You can do better. Check the Music Go Round website for used guitars in your area. I have seen many an unloved but functional Morris, Ovation, and today even a Sigma Picador. One guitar I like is the Art & Lutherie Wild Cherry, but probably out of your price range.Take the kid to try it out. Get light strings, 10-47s, and find someone to lower the action.
Reverb had a bunch of Recording King seconds, pick one that has cosmetic damage. Very good value, but trade off is it is sight unseen. Don’t be afraid of an OOO sized guitar either.
1979 Alvarez CY 115, #226 of 600
1977 Giannini Craviola 12 String
1997 Martin CEO-1R
1970s C.F. Mountain OOO-18
1968 Standel/Harptone E6-N
1969-70 Harptone Maple Lark L6-NC (Katrina guitar)
Supreme A-12
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Esteban Antonio Brown Model
Old 05-24-2018, 11:31 PM

I would also stay away from Dean, Mitchell and Rogue.

And if I were in your shoes, I'd be looking to find a used Yamaha FG 800- the solid spruce top one that sells new for $200 (w/o case) should be available for far less on the used market, if someone is selling it for whatever reason other than its great quality for low price.

There are some pretty nice Alvarez out there in your range.

Epiphone can be a toss up. Some of them are really great guitars (I own one that's solid maple top back and sides) but the stuff in your price range is more often than not a bad guitar. Maybe not set up the best from the factory (usually most assembly line stuff just gets a cursory QC check and not a real setup), and even benefitting from a setup won't make a poor guitar into a really good one.

If you don't mind payments, American musical supply has no interest no credit check payment plans.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabriel_bc View Post
What he said (and others too).

Yamaha has been at it a long time. They've pretty much mastered the "bang for your buck" concept.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:31 AM

I was in a similar situation as you several years ago. I started learning with my son. I was 45 he was 11. I am a big Yamaha fan and used a borrowed Yamaha acoustic to learn on. You might be surprised if you ask around who may have a perfectly good guitar in their closet that you could borrow while you search and save a little.

That being said, if you have some basic skills and don’t mind tinkering a little, Jasmine guitars are a very good value. I have probably bought, adjusted, and polished 12 Jasmine guitars that I bought on sale online. You can routinely get their dreadnought sized S-35 or the concert sized S-34c for under $100. If you search online or call one of the big online companies you can get them for even less. Jasmine guitars are one of the cheapest guitars that have the little wider nut, 1 ¾.

Martin 000-13e 2020
Taylor 322e 2019
Yamaha FS700 2014
Yamaha FG770S 1972
Barclay "Harmony" 1203 1972

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion