The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-23-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrpilot View Post
I remember you saying this earlier...so I checked on mine (NOS 2017 J45 Standard) and it's not hazy where I rest my arm. Did you or have you put any polish on it at all? I'd love to see a pic if you have one.

I used some Gibson cleaner to try and wipe off the haze and it doesn't seem to be doing anything but smearing. It's not too back but there is definitely cloudiness. Looks kind of cool though!
Old 05-23-2018, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
I used some Gibson cleaner to try and wipe off the haze and it doesn't seem to be doing anything but smearing. It's not too back but there is definitely cloudiness. Looks kind of cool though!
I mean most aged guitars have that area nice and worn...so you're relic-ing your own guitar!
G7th Capos
Old 05-23-2018, 11:42 AM

Just a bit of the Virtuoso Guitar Cleaner, not the Virtioso Polish, cleans the haze off mine nicely.
(Not to knock the polish, but the Cleaner does the job by itself.)

_Roger
Old 05-23-2018, 11:51 AM

The Gibson polish in the little spray bottle gets rid of the haze within a few seconds.

I can't believe what they're asking for these new J45's. in 2014 I got a brand new J45 Standard for $1,800 plus tax from a local, very well-known shop. $2,749 for a Standard and $1,000 more on top of the that for the "Vintage" model is insane.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie Boombatz View Post
The Gibson polish in the little spray bottle gets rid of the haze within a few seconds.

I can't believe what they're asking for these new J45's. in 2014 I got a brand new J45 Standard for $1,800 plus tax from a local, very well-known shop. $2,749 for a Standard and $1,000 more on top of the that for the "Vintage" model is insane.
I got mine for the same price you did Just have to know where to look and who to talk to. Even as much as I like the J-45, I wouldn't pay much more than $1800 for one.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
I got mine for the same price you did Just have to know where to look and who to talk to. Even as much as I like the J-45, I wouldn't pay much more than $1800 for one.
The only thing is I'd NEVER buy a J45 without playing it, regardless of the deal. I went through J45 phase for a few years and they really varied SOOOO much from one to the other. I hate to say it because I love the Gibson sound, but more often then not the Standards were duds with the occasional stunner. I also experienced this with the "Vintage" model. Ordered one sight unseen from a. very well-known dealer who promised me they picked out a great one from the 5 or 6 they had in stock. It was a piece of junk. Felt like I needed a breaker bar to turn the truss rod and it just sounded like ti had socks stuffed in it!
Old 05-23-2018, 12:55 PM

I got my 2016 with a homie hookup GC %20 off coupon and I love it. Picked it out of three different J45's and it was my favorite. The second place one had this cool almost lo-fi tone to it, but the one I bought was my favorite.

I prefer the Jon Pearse Phosphor Bronze 12's on mine. I love this guitar.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
The only thing is I'd NEVER buy a J45 without playing it, regardless of the deal. I went through J45 phase for a few years and they really varied SOOOO much from one to the other. I hate to say it because I love the Gibson sound, but more often then not the Standards were duds with the occasional stunner. I also experienced this with the "Vintage" model. Ordered one sight unseen from a. very well-known dealer who promised me they picked out a great one from the 5 or 6 they had in stock. It was a piece of junk. Felt like I needed a breaker bar to turn the truss rod and it just sounded like ti had socks stuffed in it!
I had never played a J-45 before I ordered mine, so I have NO clue what I should or shouldn't be hearing, or what makes a good J-45. All I know is I like what I hear
Old 05-23-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
I had never played a J-45 before I ordered mine, so I have NO clue what I should or shouldn't be hearing, or what makes a good J-45. All I know is I like what I hear
I wish I was that lucky! I]ve run the racks with J45's, and love the Gibson sound and just never bonded with any of the ones I've owned. I have much better luck with Martins, but still at heard am a Gibson guy, just gave up on the J45.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Well...Martin D-18 Burst has MSRP of $3348 and MAP of $2649. It seems J-45 MAP of $2749 doesn’t seem all that unreasonable considering they are similar level Guitar to their respectable companies. Plus Gibson case is now Brown
Old 05-23-2018, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

Martin is finally starting to catch up with their fabulous Ambertone finish, Gibson has been doing the burst right for decades. Congrats on your J45! Sometime along your journey it might be worth your while to try a set of Monels, they have a very unique and different sound that lots of folks like on their J45.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 05-23-2018, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
Martin is finally starting to catch up with their fabulous Ambertone finish, Gibson has been doing the burst right for decades. Congrats on your J45! Sometime along your journey it might be worth your while to try a set of Monels, they have a very unique and different sound that lots of folks like on their J45.
Monels? Is that exact name? Will look into trying it out soon here.

Thanks
Old 05-23-2018, 04:53 PM

Gorgeous. I may need to go shopping.

Acoustics: Martin D-35, 1924 Martin 0-28k, Taylor 814-ce, Gibson Dove, Lowden F-22, 60's Gibson Folksinger, Taylor 655, Martin Baritone (prototype), Larrivee Parlor (tuned high-strung)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion