The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-19-2018, 02:14 PM

Default 12 String Tips?

I am interested in any and all 12 string advice anyone wants to give me, strings, capos, picks. My favorite pick is a Blue Chip TAD 60 and I've ordered a Shubb 12 string capo based on a thread someone started last week, but I'm open to all suggestions.

Any technique tips related to 12 string guitars? How about some barre chord advice? I got serious about practicing them, on 6 strings, 3 weeks ago and have improved a lot. But on 12 strings? I suppose it's just a matter of repetition again, but is there a different way you place your thumb or something, in order to get all the strings to ring?

What songs do you all like to play on your 12 strings? I like flat picking and strumming, not fingerstyle. Any suggestions?

In my NGD post some people have already offered advice and I appreciate it. I value your help and take it seriously, so thanks!
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 05-19-2018, 02:16 PM

I really don't play my 12 string much differently than my 6 strings. I like it most for strumming though.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 05-19-2018, 07:27 PM

Tune it down one whole step (DGCFAD). It will be easier to play.
Old 05-19-2018, 07:39 PM

As with a six string, a good setup is critical -- be aware the string clearance is from the bottom of the string to the top of the fret for all strings. This will look wrong (aesthetically) from above.

As for capo--avoid use if possible. A good setup makes the tuning issues more pronounced since most capos will push more on the lower octave strings.

I always tuned my to standard and ran Martin 12s (medium) on it with no neck problems, though many others will disagree with this.

Lastly, for barre chords, again try to avoid and stick to songs in easy open chord keys like G and A (less the F#m), and perhaps even D.
Old 05-19-2018, 07:57 PM
Charter Member

I am not sure what to offer as advice, because everyone is different. You might learn a few things by watching some of the 12-string songs on my YouTube channel. I have recorded a bunch and have grown up with the 12-string -- I've been playing one since I was 18 years old and now that I have turned 70, that's what? 52 years?

Here is my 12-string playlist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3vU...cGXUrZPOWZs1p0

Best of luck to you! I love the look of your new 12-string -- just lovely!

- Glenn
Old 05-19-2018, 09:45 PM

Another five-decade 12-string player here - my tuppence worth:
  • Picks - Dunlop Nylon, .60/.67/.73 depending whether I'm doing straight rhythm, combination, or crosspicking/flatpicking (FYI my wife uses .46/.60/.67 respectively)
  • Strings - Martin Monel on my Rainsong JM3000 and Martin J12-15, D'Addario EJ39 PB Mediums (12-52) on my wife's Ovation Elite and my Guild JF30-12, all at concert pitch
  • Capo - I've been using Dunlop Professional toggle capos (the one with the adjustable strap) since my college days in the early-70's; if you use the "James Taylor" sweetened tuning (as I do), have a good setup, and adjust the strap correctly, you shouldn't have any problems with intonation on the lower strings with or without the capo
  • Barre chords - Again, simply a matter of a good setup and a lot of practice; you'll also need to use more "thumb," both in terms of pressure and position behind the neck (approximately parallel with your middle finger) - but you've probably discovered that already
  • Songs - Start with some John Denver or Gordon Lightfoot to get your rhythm chops going (FYI Gord capos extensively - it's as much a part of his signature sound as it is for ease of playing - so keep this in mind if you're trying to learn his stuff by ear), George Harrison/Roger McGuinn solos to jumpstart your lead technique; if you can sing, the Seekers had a bunch of great 12-string tunes: "I'll Never Find Another You," "A World of Our Own," "Someday, One Day," "Come the Day," among others
Best of luck with your new Taylor - use it well and often...
Old 05-19-2018, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
....stick to songs in easy open chord keys like G and A (less the F#m), and perhaps even D.
Good advice. I often drop the bass E to D and then play in D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars+gems
I am interested in any and all 12 string advice anyone wants to give me.... open to all suggestions.
Play what sounds good to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars+gems
What songs do you all like to play on your 12 strings?
Make 'em up! (Goes with previous comment.)

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 05-19-2018, 10:01 PM

As Steve DeRosa says above ...the Seekers had a bunch of great 12-string tunes: "I'll Never Find Another You," "A World of Our Own," "Someday, One Day," "Come the Day," among others

Denise I have a 'Best of the Seekers' CD sitting here unplayed, brand new.
PM me your address and I'll happily post it to you free.
Think of it as karma for the guitar you donated recently.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

Last edited by Brucebubs; 05-19-2018 at 10:15 PM.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:10 PM

I am another 5 decade player and looking to add a 12 string to my modest collection of active instruments. Active means I play them on a regular basis. Had a little collection, but never felt good that some never got played. So I took care of that....mostly. Anyway, the one that I never had for some reason was a 12 string. So I thought I would take care of that this year and am as interested in the great advice always found on this forum as the OP.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:53 PM
Charter Member

The "secret" to the 12 string is no secret at all, but simply this:

Play every day.

Best wishes, Mark.

PS, Four Strong Winds (Neil Young's version is my model).
Old 05-19-2018, 11:31 PM
Charter Member

I guess I do play 12-string a little differently than a 6-string, if I think about it. I tend not to play barre chords as much, and I use more open strings, usually in non-standard tunings. I don't do bends much, and only slight bends. And I guess I play less melodically, and more orchestral, filling up the sound space with all those wonderful vibrating strings. But mostly it's not that different.

I love 12-string guitar, and it's been my main acoustic instrument for a lot of years.
'82 Fender Musicmaster bass
'15 Breedlove Premier OF mandolin
Marshall JVM210c amp plus a bunch of stompboxes and misc. gear
Old 05-19-2018, 11:36 PM

Wish You Were Here is a great 12 string song, as is most of the Byrds catalogue and even a little Tom Petty.

And technically no different than your 6’er, just a little harder possibly to press down to get clean notes when building a chord.

Properly setup a good new 12 shouldn’t be a whole lot harder than a 6.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpt50 View Post
Tune it down one whole step (DGCFAD). It will be easier to play.
I strongly recommend this as well. You will often hear this discussed in terms of reducing long term damage to the guitar. More important to me is that it makes playing the instrument considerably easier. I have been playing 12 strings for 30 years, but would probably have given up long ago if I hadn't learned from others to tune down. You might also find that you like the sound better too.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:14 AM

I have not noticed more difficulty in playing barre chords on the 12 string. Does yours need a set-up?
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 05-20-2018, 06:25 AM

I tune my 12's 1/2 step down which helps with my vocals. I find that strumming with a twelve can get jangly so I use a hybrid picking technique holding the pick and plucking with the other three fingers. It takes a while to learn but is well worth the results.
Some good songs are Hotel California, Carolina, . Sweet Baby James, Knee Deep From the Beginning, Stairway to Heaven.
Good luck with the twelve!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion